Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Sirius Radio Antenna question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/696783-sirius-radio-antenna-question.html)

tropheytruck 01-17-2008 10:49 PM

Sirius Radio Antenna question

Gentleman, I used hitched up my truck camper and obviously it covers up the antenna over the drivers cab and I have zero signal now. The Stealership is cluless and not much luck at Radio shack or Best Buy... Does anyone have any ideas? 08' F350 PSD... Thanks, Pete

mhoefer 01-17-2008 11:06 PM

Magnetic antenae wired into existing on to top of hte camper?

tropheytruck 01-18-2008 01:13 AM

Locating aftermarket antenna

The problems are finding an antenna that will work, accessing the stock antenna itself in the roof and accessing the radio... both are difficult to access and a major pain...

BTXpress 01-18-2008 08:27 AM

Finding an antenna should be easy. Ever since I bought our 08 F250, I fell in love with Satellite radio. I bought a Starmate 5 portable receiver, a portable boom box, and a car kit. The car kit comes with a magnetic antenna that looks similar to the antenna on the roof of our '08.

Are you keeping the shell on your truck? If so, it should be easy to identify the sirius radia antenna on the rear of the radio and you can replace the existing antenna with the new one from a car kit. If you are not keeping your shell one... not sure how splicing the two antenna's would work. I want to replace my stock radio with a DVD unit, but that is a little further down the line. So I do not know how difficult the "accessing" of the rear radio will be, but I am sure someone else here can help you out.

Just search for Sirius Car Antenna. I found numerous hits for around $19. These had 21ft of cord.

BT

empiretc 01-18-2008 08:29 AM

you are using fm modulation (like xm sureconnect) ? is that the main problem? i have never been a fan of that and just have to suggest doing a hardwire. I recently installed a Delphi SA10003. I had to rig it up they way I wanted it, but it only cost me $10. Now I can connect ANYTHING.

the little magnetic antenna can be put anywhere. I'd move it to the hood while you have the rv hooked up.

edjunior 01-18-2008 08:46 AM

I'm not sure if it will help in your case (at least in all directions), but I have my XM antenna mounted under the vent grill below the windshield wiper on the drivers side. I think the problem you're facing though is if you head certain directions (north for ex), you're going to lose the signal anyway, because the camper would still block the signal. It might be worth a try though. The only other option is to extend the antenna over the top of the camper. I really don't see any other solution. You may want to take it to an audio installation store...I'm sure they have some solutions to help you.

Futuresweets-10 01-18-2008 09:27 AM

You will not find any aftermarket antenna that will work with the factory system. I havent had to much experience with the newer ford systems, but factory systems never use the same kind of plug.

thom_s 01-18-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Futuresweets-10
You will not find any aftermarket antenna that will work with the factory system. I havent had to much experience with the newer ford systems, but factory systems never use the same kind of plug.

Wrong. The factory antenna is the same as any Sirius antenna except for the extra plastic around the connector. That plastic is easily removed from the factory cable and added to the aftermarket one. I will try to post a picture later today.

tropheytruck 01-18-2008 09:53 PM

status

Thanks for all the input, a purchased a Sirius antenna mag mount from Circuit City for $39, and mistakenly pulled out the radio out of the dash to install the antenna... Someone informed me that the Sirius unit is under the drivers side dash under the steering wheel... I will confirm and hopefully install on Saturday... If anyone wants to know how to remove the radio, email me...

ken kenmnedy 01-18-2008 09:59 PM

I had geek squad install my sirus ant. on frount of cab and run wire around the windshield rubber looks clean allways works

Mreitmayer 07-06-2008 11:18 PM

Sirius Radio Antenna

Found the Sirius Satellite box. Shiny silver 1/2 inch thick 8 inches longs on the left side under the steering wheel. I had bought an antenna at Fry's and was able to connect in no problem.