Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   New Strategy Matts tunes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/694946-new-strategy-matts-tunes.html)

emmagator 01-13-2008 11:16 AM

New Strategy Matts tunes

My 2006 F350 was in the shop and i requested the newest flash to get rid of the buzzing. My new strategy is VXCF5H5 TQCK0T5, anybody else have this strategy. Im wondering if it will work with my current tunes from Spartan or will i need to get some new tunes made up for me?

Thanks, DB

4x4Mark 01-13-2008 11:25 AM

You should get new tunes. Don't forget to unlock your SCT and ensure your new stock calibration is uploaded to your device- this should be the first thing you do so you don't forget.

Mark

Todder 01-13-2008 11:34 AM

You will need new tunes and I hate to tell you but your new tunes won't be as good. I had my truck flashed and I have the VXC strategy as well and they flash the fuel control module and you can't get a whole lot of fuel out of it and your mileage will go down. Mine went from 17 to 14.

Matt told me that with this tune you can really only get 80 ponies extra out of it. It sucks, I'm trying to find some one to flash my truck back to the old strategy.

SpartanDieselTech 01-13-2008 11:59 AM

I think Todder pretty much has you guys covered on the info with this.

The VXCF5 flashes really blow. Period. Ford has the max pulsewidth in the Fuel Injection Control Module pulled back so far that even some of our hottest files (and any other flash tuners or other modules) struggle to produce 100rwhp gains; the mileage suffers likewise.

With the SCT or no other flash tuner on the market currently flashing the FICM, there sadly are no fixes at the moment. We have preliminarily released a few benchtop-tuned FICM's to beta-test customers (which will bring the power and economy levels back up where they previously were) but this is still under development. Flash-tuning of the FICM is also being looked into; but the hardware and software necessary to do so is still several months out on the retail market.

As far as the tunes you currently have, just shoot us an email. We will need to reformat for the new 5H5 flash and get your files back to you.

LaxPlaya21 01-13-2008 12:07 PM

How can I find out what strategy I have in my truck? I had the truck in for a new fuel injector and fuel regulator about 2 months ago.

npccpartsman 01-13-2008 12:41 PM

There is an option on the SCT for reading strategy. Just scroll through the menu until you find it.

06F250XLTFX4 01-13-2008 05:33 PM

How new is this flash, and what is the reasoning for Ford to develop it

emmagator 01-13-2008 06:17 PM

well thats kind of a bummer, i was so used to the power of the tunes i got from Matt. Now I wish i wouldnt have had them update the flash, I could have lived with the buzzing if I knew it would make such a difference in power output.

doubledee715 01-13-2008 07:20 PM

hey matt my strategy is vxap2b2 tqau0n2. any good? this strategy stuff is interesting.

rtprestw 01-13-2008 10:42 PM

If... one could find someone to flash an older strategy, which one is considered the best?

LvTitan 01-13-2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by rtprestw
If... one could find someone to flash an older strategy, which one is considered the best?

i believe the FSM7 and FSM8 were the most powerful of the older stategies if i am correct. but dont quote me.. i have the FSM7 and i know it's one the higher powered ones, i may be changing to FSM8 soon for other reasons but the power band will be the same.

i've noticed on my strategies the peak HP and torque are both high around 3000 rpm, and the ones for the 05 and newer trucks the peaks for both are around 2000-2200rpm.. i think this is why i'll be able to make higher peak HP than those guys but there is no way i'll put down the torque numbers that they can..

since i'm going to a NONvgt turbo (very soon matt wink,wink nudge) which would have more lag than stock, i think this will actually be a blessing since i will be operating at higher rpms which would most likely be necessary to fully spool anyway.. or i could just be high and dead wrong, since i'm taking a huge guess on this last part about the turbo, maybe it would be worse since a lower rpm torque peak would probably help spool it sooner ?? now i'm confused, gotta stop smoking the peace pipe with my girl before i get on here :)

2003 Stroke 01-16-2008 10:53 AM

ok...so this thread has worried me a little...in the process of switching from edje w/ att to an sct by spartan cuz of the power benefits....edge has been great to me so far no matter what people say, just looking for more power....my strategy is VXAPVXAP2N2 TQAU7AFTHEX is this going to cause me problems or be a lesser tune due to the strategy??

powerstroker27 01-16-2008 12:44 PM

matt i sent u an email on this concern as well as some questions on my tranny.

SpartanDieselTech 01-16-2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2003 Stroke
ok...so this thread has worried me a little...in the process of switching from edje w/ att to an sct by spartan cuz of the power benefits....edge has been great to me so far no matter what people say, just looking for more power....my strategy is VXAPVXAP2N2 TQAU7AFTHEX is this going to cause me problems or be a lesser tune due to the strategy??

VXAP2N2 is a TEC7 strategy; there are no current issues with those flashes; all of them have been resolved.

Currently, the only ones giving power problems are VXCF5H5 and the very newest VXDB1 series flashes. These would only apply for 2006 and 2007 trucks which have been reflashed in the past 30-60 days.

LvTitan 01-16-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2003 Stroke

that strategy looks like an awful long string of digits ! ! !

anyway the short and simple answer to your question is this:
regardless of what strategy you have, the SCT (w/custom tuning) will make more power than the edge SAFELY i might add. remember the edge does not control the TCM or the PCM like the SCT can, it merely intercepts timing and fueling signals between the PCM and FICM and modifies them. Most of the power made by edge is in the form of advanced timing, which is not the safe way to make power on the 6.0... and the extra power produced by the edge will, in many cases, be enough to overpower the tranny and send it packing down the road. The SCT can program the tranny to shift properly with the added power, and to handle the extra power with more line pressure. I'm positive this has probably already been stated in this thread, maybe even by me, if so then i apologize for wasting time and bandwidth, i just want to make sure you realize there is the possibility of damage with EDGE..
of course there is the possibility of damage any time we mod our rigs, but the SCT has proven itself to be safer as well as faster.
and yes, i have had to buy a new tranny because of EDGE, and my buddy has gone through 3 of them on his truck (dmax) but for some reason he always buys a new one when his takes a dump. he loves that little evil box. :)

hope this helps.