Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   429/460 48 Ford F1 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/692231-429-460-48-ford-f1.html)

StevoF1 01-06-2008 12:00 PM

429/460 48 Ford F1

Hi

I am new to this forum. I bought a 1948 Ford F1 last September. It came with a beatup old 429/460(not sure which) and a c6 tranny. Somebody, two owners prior to me, started a rat rod setup, and had put a gas tank in the bed as well. The guy I bought it from, spent the last six years collecting trim, little parts, and all new rubber gasgets for it. When I got it, it had been primed and left out in the rain for 6 years. So it has a lot of surface rust on the body, but is in good shape. The Suspension is stock. It came with a classic performance front disc brake conversion kit(still in the box) and a classic performance power booster/master cylinder.
So I have converted the front brakes to disc, and am working on the brake lines and power booster(waiting for the rain to stop, since there is more room to crawl under the truck when it is out of the garage.
In the mean time, I have got the old engine running, which it does well. I bought a mallory comp 9000 unilite distributer for it, a edelbrock performance intake#2166, an edelbrock performance carb to match#1407, and a coil that goes with the distributer setup with an inline power filter to protect the distrib module. In an attempt to identify the engine I have run intake manifold numbers which are DOAE-9425 F; head numbers which are DOVE-C, and that it has a 2bbl carb am guessing that it is a 429. The block is stamped 460 by the fuel pump. I can't get to any other numbers, without dropping the pan, or pulling the engine.
I discovered what looks like sleeve framents under the valve cover on the driver's side, so now I'm thinking it would be best to start a rebuild or replace the long block with something already rebuilt. I am hesitant to do this myself, though I did rebuild a 302 in highschool 27 years ago. What I'm looking for in the end, is a peppy truck for weekend drives and minor shows. I don't have the payroll for a body off restoration, but would like to get it to a nice finish. Body work and paint I'm not worried about nor mechanical stuff that doesn't involve welding.
Soooo.. To build up a peppy, but not flame throwing, 429/460 on a small budget
any recogmendations for pistons and cams, valves, etc for this truck or a place that sells reliable longblocks? Secondly Once the engine is done, what can I do to keep the differential in one piece since it looks original? The brakes on the rear are new, so I'd like to keep them, the emergency brake and hubs. I'm new at this and would appreciate whateve advice you have. Thanks, Steve.

vbarker 01-06-2008 06:42 PM

Steveo, You might also consider a 9" rearend. The 70-71 F100 is a good direct bolt up. That's what we are putting in ours. Vern

StevoF1 01-06-2008 06:48 PM

Vern. You are a wealth of appreciated knowledge. The guys at club hot rod have been helping me so far. A direct bolt up is what I'm looking for. Can I still use the brakes and emergency brake on my current setup?

vbarker 01-06-2008 06:57 PM

We picked up the complete assembly because it was actually out of a 72 and has the bigger brakes. We haven't got the emergency brakes hooked up yet, but colected the cables and y bracket from the 72, so we're gonna be able to make something work there.

sdetweil 01-06-2008 08:27 PM

The DOVE-C heads are good (68(C8)/69(C9)/70(D0) are the good ones)

D2 are bad, D3 are recoverable.

the block number will be on the passenger side behind the starter. D1VE (71 Lincoln most likely).

You can't tell the 429 from the 460 on the outside.

I just had mine rebuilt (see paint pics in my gallery). $850 was a stock rebuild, I spent $1300, new largest valves, pushrods, lifters. Bored .030 over sized.
I had C9 heads with screw in studs and guideplates so did roller rockers (thus the new pushrods and lifters).

My original block was at 60 over already with on deep score on one cyl, so we ended up with another standard shortblock (from ebay in houston).

so the only thing left of my orginal engine was the timing chain and cam. both already new.

Sam

retro48/52 01-06-2008 08:44 PM

ya know Steveo, I haven't read or heard about many of those 429's put in a 48 and thats what we are also doing. How hard was the disc brake kit to install. Also we are going to rebuild the engine ourselves and I am going to be very interested in what advise we get from this thread.

Does your truck have the original steering in it or was there power steering installed?
We installed a Toyota PSU in ours and have not found any manifolds that will fit on the drivers left side as there is really limited space between the motor, frame, and the PSU.
Anyone have an idea of what manifolds or headers will fit?

sdetweil 01-06-2008 08:51 PM

The 385 engine section on FTE covers the 429/460 family.

the Stock 68-70 engine was 365HP, with about 10.5:1 compression. That is with the small closed chamber heads (like yours) and dished pistons.

at 10.5:1 we will need premium gas. You would need to go to the 73-78 heads to drop the compression to around 9 to 1 (and HP to around 225 I think) to go to regular gas.

A stock rebuild kit on Ebay is about $500.

Sam

retro48/52 01-06-2008 09:05 PM

great pics of your headers sdetweil. Was cost a factor when you bought your parts for your headers?

CharlieLed 01-06-2008 10:56 PM

"I discovered what looks like sleeve framents under the valve cover on the driver's side"
What you may be seeing is nothing more than old crusty valve seals...a complete engine build may not be necessary if all you need is valve seals.

1BAD48FORD 01-06-2008 11:11 PM

460 info

Stevo,

You should also check out 460ford.com . They have tons of info on the 429/460 engines. They give examples of motor builds rated by horsepower level. They even give a lot of specific part numbers on aftermarket parts like intakes, cams,pistons,etc. It might be worth checking out if you're planning on modifying that 429/460.
Also,I'm installing a 460 into my '48 F-3. Do you know what motor mounts were used to install your motor? What kind of exhaust manifolds/headers are on it? Trying to find out some info to help with my swap. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Mark

sdetweil 01-07-2008 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by retro48/52
great pics of your headers sdetweil. Was cost a factor when you bought your parts for your headers?

a little. Schoenfeld had the Y/J bends at the time for 6 bucks a piece.

HeadersByEd recommended 14 pieces I think. (seems to be no longer valid web page)

I wanted long tube headers, that fit my configuration.. no one had them.

Sam

StevoF1 01-09-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by retro48/52
ya know Steveo, I haven't read or heard about many of those 429's put in a 48 and thats what we are also doing. How hard was the disc brake kit to install. Also we are going to rebuild the engine ourselves and I am going to be very interested in what advise we get from this thread.

Does your truck have the original steering in it or was there power steering installed?
We installed a Toyota PSU in ours and have not found any manifolds that will fit on the drivers left side as there is really limited space between the motor, frame, and the PSU.
Anyone have an idea of what manifolds or headers will fit?

Yes original steering. The front conversion was pretty easy once I had the right brackets for the disc calipers. I used Classic Performance Parts kit, and their Foront disk rear drum brake power booster kit, which is still not in(waiting for some dry weather!) CCP has a good help line, Mario is especially helpfull there!
The exhaust manifold right now is the stock one the person who did the modifications left on there and welded up to some short muffler pipes.The engine mounts are hand made by the same person and welded to the side frames. I will post some pictures of the mounts etc as I go along with the rebuild. Thanks Steve.

havi 01-09-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1BAD48FORD
Stevo,

You should also check out 460ford.com . They have tons of info on the 429/460 engines. They give examples of motor builds rated by horsepower level. They even give a lot of specific part numbers on aftermarket parts like intakes, cams,pistons,etc. It might be worth checking out if you're planning on modifying that 429/460.
Also,I'm installing a 460 into my '48 F-3. Do you know what motor mounts were used to install your motor? What kind of exhaust manifolds/headers are on it? Trying to find out some info to help with my swap. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Mark

Not to mention, they are working on building new Boss 429 heads for these motors. more info on the site linked here.
http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=20258

StevoF1 01-09-2008 10:56 PM

I have tried to get a account there but they still haven't activated it three weeks later.

preppypyro 01-10-2008 12:21 AM

Sounds like a cool ride you have going there Stevo. Im curious, you dont have any pictures of the engine compartment do you? I am thinking about doing this to a 52ish truck and im just curious how hard it would be, and thought why not see where and how its mounted if i could :D