Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1950 front end swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/692137-1950-front-end-swap.html)

codys50ford 01-06-2008 02:02 AM

1950 front end swap

Ok, tommorrow i will begin my quest through every junkyard in louisiana for a good candidate for my truck. I am first going looking for a jag as ive it is a great replacement. I need to know what other fronts will work incase the jag isnt there. Ive heard mustangs but what year? Also steering, do i take the steering from whatever front i use? Thanks

gdgerland 01-06-2008 11:24 AM

Cody, click on the first post (FAQ on 48-52) at the top of the page. A great article on IFS. Unfortunately it just touches on the JAG IFS. The 79-86 Jag IFS (Type III) is the one most are using. Lot of good info on other front end swaps.

Gil

codys50ford 01-12-2008 09:24 PM

Im still on the hunt for my jag ifs, but for the time being i would like to ask for some great idease from all you guys on different options for the front of my 50. If i cant seem to find this jag front end what would be a great alternative that i can get from a salvage yard. Come on guys i know yall have the answers.....

RUSTY50F1 01-12-2008 10:14 PM

:-wink Cody; Don't give up on the Jag IFS. It's worth the hunt and the wait. I looked for 6 months before I found mine, But I'm glad I kept looking. I used the IFS, and the IRS. I found mine on Craigs list. bought the whole car for $350. Had to drive almost 400 miles to get it home on a trailer. But it was well worth it. Good luck with the hunt.

codys50ford 01-12-2008 10:42 PM

I guess your right rusty, im just anxious but i know it will be better if i just wait. Did you use jag steering? What years from the jag work? Do i have to use jag steering? Sorry about the series of questions but im curious. Thanks.

49willard 01-13-2008 07:43 AM

You will want the complete front suspension, crossmember, rack and pinion brakes etc. I would also grab the steering shaft with the unique u joint-I call it a Z joint based on its shape. The whole front suspesion drops out of the doner car after removing a handfull of bolts and disconnecting the steering shaft. I do not know if others have used the steering column but I do not think that it is the best setup. Keep looking for a donor. They are cheap to buy and fit our trucks like they were made for it.

cmoritz 01-13-2008 12:46 PM

Hey Cody!,Did you check out Rusty50f1 gallery yet ? you will have to make up your own mind , but I think that frame is "screaming" for a JAG set-up ..just my humble opinion , Whatever you decide ,Good Luck!!...(whenever I start feeling anxious.,I sit down and wait till it passes lol...)

codys50ford 01-13-2008 06:13 PM

thanks for the luck cmoritz, yeah your right i think its screamin for the jag too :-D. Yes ive looked at rustys gallery and that pretty much made my mind up about the whole situation. Ill just wait till i can find a good donor somewhere within reason.

Rusty, what steering column did you use? Any ideas?

RUSTY50F1 01-13-2008 11:08 PM

:-wink Cody; Be sure to get all of the IFS, And the shaft. I'm not using the colume or wheel. I'm using the one out of the donor IROC If I don't change My mind. I'd like to get one from a Caddy with telescoptics (that don't look right) You know what I mean. Just keep looking. thier all over Tx. Thats where I got mine. And thanks for the comps on my frame. I like the way it looks better than I thought I would. If I can help in anyway just let me know. But I got almost all my ideas from here on FTE. There are a bunch of great people on here.:-drink :-drink

AXracer 01-13-2008 11:33 PM

Cody,
There are other IFS's you could possibly use, but the rest require aftermarket crossmembers and suspension parts like the MII style (DON'T even consider using a stock Mustang II setup, they are pure junk design and not really suited for a vehicle over 2500#) or require a frame graft (cutting off your original frame near the firewall and replacing it with the similar portion from the donor vehicle) a major undertaking.
Don't be in a hurry, hunt down that Jag you won't be sorry.

codys50ford 01-14-2008 12:28 AM

I agree rusty that a caddy column would be cool.

Thanks for the tip ax, i was wondering if something like a frame graph would be needed for other front ends. Ill just continue looking around for a donor.....

go_speed 01-14-2008 02:20 AM

codys50ford

what part of LA do live.

codys50ford 01-14-2008 09:23 AM

I live in Baton Rouge, cool i see you live in lafeyette. I drive there for work verry often. How long you lived there?

rbloodhound 01-14-2008 02:55 PM

Stop by the Louisiana chapter

bobbytnm 01-14-2008 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by codys50ford
I agree rusty that a caddy column would be cool.

I'm running a tilt & tele column from a 72 Caddy in my 49. My advice is, don't do it. The column is too long, even with the telescoping part sucked in all the way. Maybe the tilt & tele columns from a later model car might be shorter.

Of course you could always shorten the column. I think AX shortened a steering column for his panel. From what I remember it isn't a very complicated process. Rod & Custom magazine did a tech article on the process not long ago. When I get home tonight I can get you that info if you like.

I think the ideal length of for a column for our trucks is somewhere around 30"

Good luck
Bobby