Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Fog/driving Light Bulbs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/691434-fog-driving-light-bulbs.html)

brian42 01-04-2008 08:53 AM

Fog/driving Light Bulbs

I just replaced my headlight bulbs with Silverstar Ultras (wow do I need the headlight harness upgrade now, but that's another story). I know the bulbs are 9007. I was looking at my fog/driving (which one are they?) lights and noticed that the bulb looks like it's replaceable. Does anybody know if they are a sealed unit or if the bulb is replaceable? If so what size bulb is this. I just noticed this last night and haven't had a chance to climb under there and try and look so I figure I'd ask.

Thanks for any info.

wlihntr 01-04-2008 11:27 AM

yes they are replaceable, they are a 899/9145 (pretty sure those are the correct numbers) and are 42 watt. however a 9005 65 watt bulb will plug right in and work better. i have had the 9005 silverstars in my fogs for years...works great

cookie88 01-04-2008 05:15 PM

Yep. The 9005 silverstars will wake those fog lights right up.....but you will probably need to adjust them down a little bit. The 9005's don't have painted ends like the 9007's and seem to be extremely annoying to oncoming traffic.

DaveWilliams 01-04-2008 06:16 PM

Are they adjustable?

I don't remember any adjustments on the fog lights. Is there one that I am missing? Also I talked to the guy at Brite Box and he told me that it may heat up too much to put anything other than the stock bulbs in the fogs.....I like to run the fogs all the time and figured he knew what he was talking about....What has been your experience with the hotter bulbs? Have you had any problems burning the out or having any housing heat problems? Thanks for the info..Dave

randomhero1172 01-04-2008 06:29 PM

I have never heard of excess heat - and if you do have that you will smell it on idle. I had a fog come loose and started touching the radiator and it reeked like all hell.

So headlights - 9007
Fogs - 9005

Ive changed the fogs - afterwards my hands were free of all skin lol. Is it a pain in the butt to change the headlamps?

Also - what is the top of the line bulb by sylvania?

jtharvey 01-05-2008 01:40 AM

They have a new Silverstar out called the Silverstar Ultra that is supposed to be brighter than the original Silverstar. When mine burn out, I'll be using the Ultra bulbs.

DaveWilliams 01-05-2008 06:27 AM

Do they have that nasty blue tint? I absolutely HATE that coming at me or in my mirrors. I won't install them cause I don't want someone hitting me head on when they go blind.....

rjmay 01-05-2008 09:44 AM

I have had the 9005 SilverStars in my fog lights for two years and have not detected excess heat.

cookie88 01-05-2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rjmay
I have had the 9005 SilverStars in my fog lights for two years and have not detected excess heat.

I've had the same set of silverstars in my fogs since 2002. Excess heat is a non issue.

Yes they are adjustable, but the adjustment screws are difficult to find and even tougher to reach. Plan on loosing a little skin off the back of your hands.

DaveWilliams 01-05-2008 11:21 PM

Adjustment screw??

Got any suggestions on finding the adjustment screw? Looking at the light from the front of the truck....look left or right...top or bottom....toward the rear of the truck or the front? I don't remember any screws at all when I had a foglight in my hand after one got replaced...Thanks for any update...

jtharvey 01-06-2008 01:20 AM

Scott, both of my fogs burned out within a week of each other, 9Silverstar 005's, after probably 6 months. I am feeding my fogs with 12 ga wire though, so I don't know if that puts a little extra stress on them or not.

Dave, the adjustment screw is on the bottom of the fog, directly in the middle. It can ony adjust up-down. You may not be able to access it very easily with the bumper still on, but if you zip the 4 bolts out and remove the bumper to get a better look at the lights, the screws should be easily found.

wlihntr 01-06-2008 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
Scott, both of my fogs burned out within a week of each other, 9Silverstar 005's, after probably 6 months. I am feeding my fogs with 12 ga wire though, so I don't know if that puts a little extra stress on them or not.

huh...i have had mine in for 5-6 years as well with no problems.

jtharvey 01-06-2008 02:11 AM

Luck of the draw perhaps. Hopefully the set I have now will last quite a bit longer.

dvfd12 01-06-2008 09:37 AM

I have the Silverstar headlamps, but haven't upgraded my fog lights yet. I like the headlamps, but they have been lasting anywhere from 6 months to a year (kind of short in my opinion). I am using the upgraded wiring harness and have noticed when I change bulbs that the glass is actually melted and deformed. I don't plan on switching to a different brand, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

DaveWilliams 01-06-2008 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dvfd12
I am using the upgraded wiring harness and have noticed when I change bulbs that the glass is actually melted and deformed. I don't plan on switching to a different brand, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

That is what I was told would happen because of the excessive heat, that is why I haven't switched to them and switched to them in the fogs as well. I still haven't heard whether they have that nasty blue tint or not...