Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Odd Fuel Color (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/691216-odd-fuel-color.html)

IceboxFX 01-21-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by WALJON
Are you using synthetic oil ?

no, mobil delvac 15-40, and i still havent found out what all the junk is. I even switched where i get my diesel. I'm thinkin about pulling the fuel bowl and doing a through cleaning. also want to put on a baldwin fuel filter (i read on the steve baz site they are the best) just dont know where to buy one around here.

How hard is it to remove the fuel bowl and how do i do it?

thanks for all your help guys

-Brian.

RÖENTGEEP 01-21-2008 02:11 PM

I have this in my PC:

how to remove the fuel housing<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Get some diesel rated 3/8 and 5/16 hose and cut the hoses that are in there now. Go back with new hose, it's less than 8 inches of 3/8 and probably about 8 inches of 5/16.
There are two 3/8 pieces about 3 inches long at the rear of the housing. One actually doesn't go to the housing but replace it too while you are in there.
The return off the fuel regulator is on the driver's side and it runs up to the side of the regulator. This is 5/16 if memory serves.
The only other piece is at the very bottom and comes off of the fuel bowl drain. It's a joy to get to that one...
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href=\"http://forums.FTEs diesel forums.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif\" src="file:///C:DOCUME~1JAGJLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001 .gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Use 5/16 here IIRC.
The regulator has two fuel lines that screw onto it, obviously don't cut those, just unscrew them and push them back out of the way.
There is an electrical plug with three or four wires on it that should be laying on the passenger side of the fuel canister that you will have to unplug.
Finally you will have to unplug the wiring harness from the IPR.
Remove the two bolts that hold the fuel canister on (they are at the rear) and it will lift out.
Oh, keep in mind that you will spill about a quart or so of fuel all over everything.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

None of the hoses that I'm telling you to cut are in the way, they just tie the fuel canister to the rest of the engine. Anything that is "in the way" needs to be unscrewed, not cut.

The regulator is the thing on the driver side of the fuel canister, it has two bolts holding it on, a metal pipe coming off of the bottom of it and running down to the bottom of the fuel canister and a small piece of hose connecting it to another metal line that goes back to the tank.

If you find the fuel bowl drain lever and look straight down from it they way down at the bottom of the fuel bowl drain you will see the rubber hose that ties the drain to a metal line on the engine that routes drained fuel to the front of the engine. That rubber hose is what to cut.

Please make sure that you find the end of anything that you are thinking about cutting and be 100% that there is a simple hose clamp on it. If you do that then you will be fine. You don't want to cut the high-pressure fuel lines, I have no idea what those would cost to replace. All of the high-pressure stuff has fittings on the ends and requires a wrench to remove.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

It looks intimidating at first, but once you do it, it is a sinch. the lines you cut are on the fuel pump side, dont cut any hose on the front side. you will need to take off the intake tube between the turbo and the intakes(looks like a black inverted V you can see it in the pic that was linked to in a previous post). just 3 hose clamps. under that there may or may not be a black heat shield that snaps onto the fuel lines. pull it off, it just snaps on there. the fuel lines to cut are the passenger side on the pump and the lower one way down in the valley. the olts that hold the housing in are on the back right and back left of the housing. they are way down, i think they are 13mm if i remember right. unplug the wiring harness on the pass side of the housing. remove the drain hose and the t fuel lines off the front. the housing should now come out!

Oh yeh drain it before you cut/remove hoses!<o:p></o:p>

scatgo 01-21-2008 02:57 PM

Whe you get it out be carefull when removing the FPR you can loose the screen or when you pull the round plastic thing the screen goes against there is a plastic check ball under it that can get lost if it falls out. The black plastic bowl under the FPR unscrews and has a filter in it. I had a real hard time getting mine off. Had to put on a pair of gloves and go for it. If yours is that tight I strongly recomend you dont use pliers it just plastic. When putting the FPR back together and on the housing be careful its aluminum you dont want to over tighen and break things.

Getting the housing out is easy. Getting it in is a bitch. Place all hoses on the housing and tighten clamps and put the clamps for the other end on loose and position them so you can get to the when you put things back toghter. The big pain is going to be the hose that gose from the bottom of the houseing to the fuel pump. a new hose will go on tight so put some oil on the pump so the hose will slide on a littel easyer. I had to get a block of wood and pry bettwen the HPOP and the housing to get the hose to go on the pump. O, yea, the black pipe in the houseing the filter gose over has LEFT HAND THREADS.

scatgo 01-21-2008 03:04 PM

PS. Plan on doing this all over again if you dont ressolve the problem thats causing it.

IceboxFX 01-21-2008 08:20 PM

Thanks a lot RÖENTGEEP and scatgo, I really appreciate it. it'll probably have to wait till saturday to get done cause i think i'm starting college this week. I just put in a new FPR screen and i have another check ball that i want to put in, I just couldn't figure out how to get the other one out.

Who knows, those rubber lines between the lift pump and the fuel bowl could have been deteriorating and causing all the junk in my fuel, so changing that may pay off.

RÖENTGEEP 01-21-2008 10:22 PM

My pleasure to help you, you dont have to give thanks.