Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Iowa PYP yards (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/690831-iowa-pyp-yards.html)

stryder 01-02-2008 06:22 PM

Iowa PYP yards

Anyone know of any good PYP junkyards throughout Iowa? I know there is the one in Des Moines, but I'm mainly looking for '60s-'70s Fords. Most of the big yards have scrapped their old stuff the make room for the newer crap.Yyes, I know about Doug's outside Pella, but he is a huge ripoff and thinks his parts are made of gold. So yell if you know of any older junkyards.
Thanks

fellro86 01-02-2008 11:30 PM

I did, but no longer... bad karma on that one. K's acres in CR, but from what I am told, watch out on the powertrain parts... Sandhill near Tama used to be pretty good on older stuff, but I don't believe they are PYP, they pull everything.
I've dealt a little with Doug's, and they sure are proud of their stuff, had to do an emergency tire replacement there....

ididntdoit99 01-03-2008 12:40 AM

There is one over by allison... can't remeber for the life of me whats it called... probably a little too north for you guys anyway.

i just remember paying for a windsheild there when i was about 16 or 17.... broke the dang thing before I even got it out....

stryder 01-03-2008 05:06 AM

Roger, thanks for the reminder on Sandhill. I cant believe I forgot them as I used to drive by there all the time on the way to Cedar Falls. Do they let you roam the yard?
I'll look for the one by Allison as well, thanks.

fellro86 01-03-2008 07:23 AM

It's been so long since I was actually there, I don't remember, but I'm not sure they do. K's acres is a true u-pullit yard though.
Wish Opie was on, he had a good yard near Burlington with plenty of old stuff in it, but I don't recall the name at all...

beaners1 01-03-2008 09:10 AM

There's one in Inwood, NW corner of the state. You can get good deals when the owners in the right mood. I've called several times for parts and the answere on the phone is always the same "Don't have it" but if you go look he has several.

As an example, I was looking for a 460, called, says he has none, I go look, I find 12 of them. Another example was a head for my 88 5.8L don't have any, I found 4 engines, asked the price of the head, he told me it was a pricey one have to have $50 for it. Needless to say I bought it. Would have saved me $10 if I pulled it myself.

The name of the place is G&T Salvage, but it's worth the drive and if your in need of newer parts there are two fairly large yards within 50 miles of this guy.

ididntdoit99 01-03-2008 08:57 PM

I found a site that has a bunch of klistings for junkyards
seems to be a pretty good list.. had the sandhill, k's acre, and others you guys already talked about.
http://1077.yippie.biz/ia/

you could call around to some to find out which ones will let ya wander around. It also has the one near allison listed. Saathoff's

stryder 01-04-2008 05:06 AM

Thanks Adam! Awesome link! Thanks guys for the help. I at least have a couple of places to start.

67nukeford 01-04-2008 08:07 AM

Just an FYI, I know there is one in Omaha, calle UPull-it, but I'm not sure if that's too far away from where your at. They had some older ford stuff the last time I was there, but that was awhile ago.

ididntdoit99 01-04-2008 06:11 PM

No problem... you know i've tried to find a site with lists of junkyards before and that was the first time I came across that one.

stryder 01-04-2008 06:54 PM

Thanks Pat. I'm actually heading to Omaha later this spring, so I'll be sure to add it the itinerary.

wyldstallyn73 01-09-2008 12:16 AM

There's one east of Chariton called Pollards. He will let you roam the yard. has lots of older trucks, but no so much for 70's cars.

fiftyfourdf100 01-17-2008 11:29 PM

Roger...were you talking bout A1?

I think the guy that was trying to buy it(Tim I think?) just got hosed on the deal because of some stuff the P.O. had going on with the EPA. At least thats what I'd heard. They let me go pick and pull when I worked for Drakes last summer.

fellro86 01-18-2008 06:39 AM

Yep, it was A1. Bad things went down, so it closed. That place was starting to turn around too, with all the liens and the EPA troubles... he's better off without it though, it was a financial drain for him.

fiftyfourdf100 01-18-2008 12:17 PM

yea..I think he just said f-it, it was too much hassle but I think he ends up losing money anyway. It was starting to turn around, I know it was better when you were there and I got that 8.8 from ya, then we had to go get some brackets for a 80s Plymouth and they let us go back there and pull no questions asked.