Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   carpet (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/690742-carpet.html)

DR Smith 01-02-2008 02:03 PM

carpet

has anyone use the molded carpet from JC WITNEY for there trucks and dose the carpet come all the way back to the rear of the cab? I want to use it in my panel and need it to cover behind seats.

Fomoko1 01-07-2008 11:34 PM

Bump to the top.

0to100to0 01-08-2008 01:22 AM

i just bought a carpet kit as an impulse buy because it was on sale and i feel duped.... it was just a big rectangle with finished edges and a relief for the transtunnel hump... next time i will just make it

joe hoffman 01-08-2008 05:25 AM

No, have not to answer your question but as oto100 has said it is almost flat so I plan to visit a carpet retailer and pickup a remnant plus pad for under 50bucks and do it myself. Have already purchased a aluminum angle trim for the carpet keeper at the door sill from Home Dpt for 10$ (made to hold carpet on stairs)so I should be finished for under 75$. Will throw down a couple of Ford logo mats for my feet so don't need throttle and heel pads. Also am planning to go up to the rear window with the same carpet. Got an estimate from an interior guy for 150$ am sure I can do it for half. Good luck...

Brian_B 01-08-2008 05:54 AM

I don't know exactly how the PO did it, but mine is carpeted from top to bottom. Cab back wall and headliner is all the same. It has a "jute" backing and it is all glued in.

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/100_0242.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/100_0234.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/56/100_0232.jpg
I think that would be a cheaper way to go than buying each part seperately.

As far as the door openings, he painted small angle iron to match the body and has those chrome w/washer uphostery screws in them.

AXracer 01-08-2008 08:28 AM

You might talk to Terry: Truxx1956 since he is an auto upholsterer to see what he might offer you. I plan to talk to him about carpet for my panel when the time comes.

There's also a guy on ebay that makes carpets specifically for our trucks by an effie enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-F100-TRUCK-PICK-UP-1953-54-55-1956-CARPET-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140722QQihZ014QQite mZ330176912008QQtcZphoto
They are full coverage automotive carpet, completely bound, have snap covers for underfloor access, and heel pad, available for bench or bucket seats. He also offers kick panels, door panels and headliners as well as custom work.

tip49 01-08-2008 10:07 AM

I'm with the guys on doing your own or have it custom done. My question (Truxx you there ?) is how does one form the tranny tunnel ? Is this a cut and glue process or heat and form ? Mine will have custom cover/inspection since I have AOD attached to my 5.0L EFI.Tom

AXracer 01-08-2008 12:21 PM

I talked to a friend of mine who is a trouble shooter for a company that makes carpet backing for carpet manufacturers. He tells me there is a world of difference in the backing used in household carpeting and automotive use. Most household carpet is made to be installed over a resilient pad not direct application, is not designed to withstand getting wet, mold, mildew, sunlight, and heavy soiling. If buying carpet on your own from an outlet at least buy a commercial direct application grade that can better withstand the abuse. Surprisingly commercial carpeting is typically less expensive than household grade as well.

Truxx1956 01-08-2008 12:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm here! When forming a trans tunnel, you have to have the right kind of carpet. When we do a trans tunnel that's very tall, we usually do a "Jaguar type" carpet. That is, we do the trans tunnel first with padding, then we "form" the tunnel part, either by heat or sometimes we have to cut and sew the part for the tunnel. It depends on whether or not it will be removable or not? Then we install the padding on the rest of the floor, making sure to keep the same level all the way through (not overlapping) then you make a pattern for the carpet. Then cut the carpet and glue it down to the padding. Of course this is not the same procedure if removal is an issue. There are some COOL snaps that bury in the carpet that make it removable, and you have to use the snap part that screws into the metal floor.

This is kind of an abridged version, but I'm in a hurry to get back to work. If you need any further feel free to email me at trucks1956@yahoo.com

WALFORD'S 56 01-08-2008 02:52 PM

I am still limited as to what I can do ,since my back blew out,in Dec,and have to watch--but you know how that is-ha ha!! I installed the dynamat style insulation in my 56 F100 and My 71 F100 yesterday and today-and cut a piece of gray (cheapo) walmart carpet that is real thin, to put down in the 71. Came out real nice--it was 60 degrees last few days and had to do it while I could.
I was worried about the trans tunnel of the 71-and thought of gluing the carpet--but thought I would wait till truck is on the road.
I may have sold my daily driver,and will use the 71 till I find another van. I wish TRUXX would have been here to jaguar cut my trans tunnel,and I would have been happy to watch a pro!!! LOL Bill

gusso 01-08-2008 04:06 PM

Truxx1956

Your talking about a part of a snap that screws into
the metal floor. My question is, can the other part of this snap
be covered with upholstery material. Just realized I`m hijacking
this thread. Sorry

Gary

Truxx1956 01-08-2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by gusso
Truxx1956

Your talking about a part of a snap that screws into
the metal floor. My question is, can the other part of this snap
be covered with upholstery material. Just realized I`m hijacking
this thread. Sorry

Gary

Yeah, the other part can be covered, you can use the stud snaps in several differant applications. I've seen folks use them to hold on door panels and then cover the buttons out of the same kind of material as the door panel. It don't look too bad if you measure and place the buttons symetrically, but it still reminds me of the vans of the '70's.

The snap, that I was talkin about for the carpet, actually sinks down into the carpet and you dont even see it. Then there's always Velcro , but I'm not a big fan of it for carpet or doorpanels. I've seen some real GOM's made this way.

Later dudes

gusso 01-08-2008 05:04 PM

Terry

I`m interested in these snaps that "sink down into the carpet".
What are they called and where can they be purchased?
Thanks.

Gary

imlowr2 01-08-2008 06:18 PM

I did my complete interior by myself with the exception of upholstery on my bench seat. I used this company to purchase my carpet
http://www.stockinteriors.com/
I was really pleased with the quality and the carpet went all the way under the seats to the back of the cab. It came with the heel and toe pads in the carpet, which I like because it makes it look more like a restoration. If you go to my gallery and see interior modifications, you'll see what I did.

Truxx1956 01-08-2008 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by gusso
Terry

I`m interested in these snaps that "sink down into the carpet".
What are they called and where can they be purchased?
Thanks.

Gary

I'll see what I can find out on a name or part#? We have a small box of them, that we use only in a few special places. The main place is on F100's with the battery in the original place. They allow you to simply unsnap the carpet and peel it back to get to the battery. Plus they are "hidden" They really work well. We buy most of our stuff from the Miami Corp in Ohio. They do have a retail outlet also, and I think you can even order online? I'm not sure about their website, so you might have to do a search for them. We never order online.

I hope this helps