Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maryland Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum186/)
-   -   Long ago I Chistmassed in Maryland alone (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/690151-long-ago-i-chistmassed-in-maryland-alone.html)

Greywolf 12-31-2007 06:57 PM

Long ago I Chistmassed in Maryland alone

I have no idea why - my Mom was there, and in the end every year there I wasn't alone at all. When I got done playing with my friends (around high school and well after midnight) I went home and Mom (a college grad) was there.

THE HOUSE (apartment, really) was different from "outside". It was a sanctuary.

And we watched movies, talked about books and art and science (not her area), and it was different than being outside the place. I was always strange in some ways. I liked AC/DC when they came out - but also the Boston Pops live fourth of july version of the 1812 overture... BOSTON captivated me.

Caught between two worlds, I have no idea why to this day.

She watched "Escape from New York" (the first one) with me, after she bought the cable offer, though I never thought much of television - preferring books. We talked about it too - she didn't understand much of it. The characters were too strange. I knew some of them though - I had seen many of them downtown.

In that she gave me a lot. She knew a fine book was a thing I treasured for the ideas in it... Consider that a play station had not been marketted yet, but other stuff had. I preferred to build bicycles (so I could travel) and speakers (so I had ROCK!).

We liked to drive around the maryland countryside, which it was affordable to do then.

I was split....

I knew what I liked, and knew what all the people my age liked. They were different.

I am left with bad habits, and great longings.......

Roads without end, learning new stuff, bottles of beer.

In going OUT - I went no where.

The more I stayed home it seems - the further I travelled. Funny about that....

Momma understood Christmas.

She gave me gifts that still remain

BPofMD 01-04-2008 05:11 PM

Hey Grey, long time no talk....I guess you must have found another job and you're still in TN, eh? If you want to work on RV's again, you know there's a batch of dealers up here, right? And the beer is still cold too!

Tractor Boy 01-04-2008 06:52 PM

beers always cold here man, lol

Greywolf 01-04-2008 07:02 PM

I still have relatives around Silver Springs - you familiar with Kemp Mill? I have an Aunt and Uncle within six blocks of the highrise.

I also lived in Glenmont for a while, I went to the old apartment complex in '01 just to look around and it was still the same. For a while I was in the highrise along Viers Mill road, I went out on some of my longest cycling trips from there on the bike paths in Rock Creek Park, down through the mall, and up the C&O canal towpath. Fun times, great trails, high speed - low drag!

Maryland is where I learned to lace up HOT touring rims for pennies, changing the bikes I had forever.

I rode those bike trails every year until I wiped out three times in a row from ice on the blacktop, then I'd quit for the winter.