Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Worst Day (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/686856-worst-day.html)

tcm368 12-21-2007 11:02 AM

Worst Day

ok at work going out to get lunch at the local deli shop no big deal right! start driving back to work low gas light cam on two miles ago thought i would make the detour to the gas station when the truck start to stutter and then just dies. I barely make it to the side of the road. call my buddy at work thinking it was out of gas but didn't seem right since the light just came on but whatever. at this points its snowing pretty hard and im waiting for my buddy to show up with the extra gas jug. i get out of my truck and i get hit with the smell of oil. and hear a waterfall coming from under the truck. i run to the look up the road to see a line of black liquid all the way up the street, then look under the truck to see the oil is coming out of the drain hole in the oil pan (there is no more drain plug) last people to touch the truck was Rodman Ford Right across the street from the patriots stadium. they did the last oil change late october and i was just about to call and schedual another change yesterday. at this point i call AAA to send a truck down to pic me up and bring the truck back to the dealer they told me it would be about an hour. Mind you i broke down at around 2 oclock. 3:00 comes around i get a call from them saying the just dispatched a truck they should be there in an hour (im freezing) at 5:00 the two truck shows up (no flat bed) says he is not rated to tow a truck at 8800 lbs and there flat bed is rated at 7700lbs great so i call AAA back they tell me they are changing shifts and are denying my request and i should try and get help on my own AWESOME. i finally get a hold of the company that has helped me before he came out and made sure he was going to bill AAA for me. however he didn't get to me till 6:40 (i had ice in my blood). now its back at the dealer and im making sure the take care of everything i need and if the truck is messed up i want a new one lol ( i know it wont happen but i can wish)

sorry needed to vent

jeffthralls 12-21-2007 11:07 AM

Thats horrible! Sorry to hear you had such a bad day. I hope the dealership does their part. Good luck!!

RogueSpear2023 12-21-2007 11:10 AM

That sucks, luckly you ran out of diesel or you may of had to buy a new motor. If you live in a cold climate you should try to fill it up before you get empty, I fill mine when it gets to 1/4 tank, and sometimes half tank easier on the wallet. I know in gas vehicles water can build in the line if you let it go all the way to empty when it's cold, I don't know if its the same for diesel or not, plus I don't like to suck all of the crap out of the bottom of tank which will plug the fuel filter. If this is the first time you have let run out you may want to change the fuel filter, it's probably plugged.

1996pwrstrk 12-21-2007 11:18 AM

I don't think you ran out of fuel our PSD's shut down with out enough oil nice fail safe I would expect there will be no damage .

DieselCamper01 12-21-2007 11:19 AM

My understanding of the diesels is that the motor shuts down when too low on oil. No damage should have been done. Need to replace that plug, add oil, good to go.

Beat me to the punch! :)

tcm368 12-21-2007 11:26 AM

yeah thats what i was thinking since i believe the injectors run off the oil and if no oil then no injector working. i barely ever run my tank low but i can doubt that the tank was that empty since the light was on no more than two min. im fighting with the dealership right now tho i told them i want my inspection done oil change Fuel filter change tire rotate and a reembursement for another free fuel filter and oil change. its not that fact that im mad about the oil plug issue but that fact that i almost died siince i was going 50mph and the steering wheel locked up and the brakes went hard

pullinair 12-21-2007 11:27 AM

Key thing here. You still heard oil coming out of the drain plug "after" the engine shut off. No oil to the injectors means the dang thing aint gonna run to cuase damage. The sump pickup tube is set a high location in the oil pan. I think you are fine. PSD's that my dad works on are run low on oil by the construction employees and quit firing and will not start all the time. He adds oil and they are good to go. Obviously this is not good practice. Have ford Go over the engine for free and document thier mistake incase of any future problems. By the way, AAA screwed me like that before, even after I told them my truck grossed over 8,000 and was a crew cab. Had to send a second truck out. It was summer though. Cant believe they screwed you becuase of a shift changeover. I would complain, tell them that you are not renewing, and maybe get a free year membership out of it, or maybe a significant others car added to the coverage. Good luck.

tcm368 12-21-2007 11:36 AM

yeah im keeping my fingers crossed that there is no damage done to the engine but i am making sure they do document there mistake like you said in case of future issues. and i just got off the phone with AAA and they are refunding me for the past three years that i paid them for and giving me a free year membership.

1996pwrstrk 12-21-2007 11:40 AM

Good for you it's really great to pay for an emergency service and when you need them they just leave you out on your own (in the cold ).That's why I have a trailer a nd friends and family with PSD'S.

1996pwrstrk 12-21-2007 11:42 AM

See what I mean.https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...159923.520.390

tcm368 12-21-2007 11:49 AM

ya now thats what i like to see. to bad the only one i know around here with a PSD that would help is nobody and my father only drives a 07 ford ranger i think that may be a little tough for that tiny 6cyl

1996pwrstrk 12-21-2007 11:53 AM

Yeah I think the Ranger would cry a little ,you should have seen Cookie88's F250 jump when I put my dually on the trailer but she pulled it down the road real easy.

zx250 12-21-2007 11:57 AM

Man, that does suck all the way around. Good thing is the engine shouldn't have suffered any damage. They do shut down before damage starts. Or at least they are supposed to. Sorry about your ordeal with AAA. I have always had good luck with them. The did however send one of them snatch trucks with the trick on the back that wraps around the wheels and lifts. The drivers said my truck was way too heavy but what the hell, we'll give her a try, and away we went. Lifted the back of course. Anyway, glad you are alright and didn't freeze. What happened to your buddy? Didn't he have a warm vehicle to get in? Some buddy! Give a good ass chewing to the dealer and make them prove all is good and document what happened to your satifaction. Then start on AAA. No reason you should have had to go through all that. Someone dropped the ball.
Were you low on fuel or did the low fuel light come on, along with all the lights because the engine was shutting down?
Keep us up to date.

tcm368 12-21-2007 12:12 PM

well the dealer just called and they are about to bring the truck in the shop (took them long enough) my buddy did come however he had to go back to work we were short handed to begin with so i couldn't really ask him to stay no big deal. but the fuel light came on a couple miles before the truck started acting up so ya i think it was pretty low i don't let the light come on very often due to the fear of any water that may be in the tank getting picked up

UP_There 12-21-2007 12:12 PM

there is a sensor that monitors oil pressure on the PSD's. My last truck the drain plug came out the same day I had my oil changed. Similar situation minus the fuel light. My truck died on the road and I coasted onto the side.....I jumped out and the oil was draining like crazy everywhere. Everything turned out fine though, the sensors did their job! Just did a oil change and the truck sputtered a bit because of not being primed, but after that it was back to normal. I had that truck for almost a year after that with no probs.....