Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Not a knock on GM......but ironic nonetheless (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/686788-not-a-knock-on-gm-but-ironic-nonetheless.html)

DOHCmarauder 12-21-2007 04:17 AM

Not a knock on GM......but ironic nonetheless

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71693

Top Of Tailgate Removal, GMT900 NBS

The new tailgate is a joke, an outright joke. You pull off that cheap and cheezy tailgate protector from the factory and there's no metal under it. The plastic tailgate protector IS the top of the tailgate and a structural piece I guess...I was really disappointed when I ripped mine off. It's so soft if you actually use it for what it was designed for - to protect the tailgate while hauling stuff it shreds pretty easy. I stack 10'x10' timbers up there and in a matter of days it looked like someone took a utility knife and sliced it to pieces.

Is this correct? The top of the tailgate is plastic?

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71727
Nbs Highway Vibration, Truck is at the dealership and can't fix.

My new 2008 GMT900 Regular Cab Long Bed.
Drive shaft replaced.
Vibration at all speeds but most pronounced at 50-60 MPH.
Warranty.

I was told that I have a bad torque converter. They are ordering me one to install. 19000 mi

I have the same problem..and they are too replacing my TQ converter today

I have been doing some research and this may be a common problem.

I got the truck back today and the vibration is still there. The dealer has pretty much washed their hands of the problem by referring me to the TSB regarding the vibration. TSB #06-06-05-001A-(3/20/2007)

Now it is torque converters dying out?? C'mon...what's next with the NBS trucks???

It's funny you say that because i swear at times i have the same "rumble strip"

SMIGGS 12-21-2007 08:36 AM

BWWWWWAAAAA!

https://i195.photobucket.com/albums/...m/mr_burns.gif

Oh wait,

Wrong site!;)

LOL!

duramaximizer 12-25-2007 08:14 PM

I have heard of the vibration, but I have never felt it or seen it complained about on dieselplace.

chaparro 12-26-2007 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=DOHCmarauder]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71693

Top Of Tailgate Removal, GMT900 NBS

The new tailgate is a joke, an outright joke. You pull off that cheap and cheezy tailgate protector from the factory and there's no metal under it. The plastic tailgate protector IS the top of the tailgate and a structural piece I guess...I was really disappointed when I ripped mine off. It's so soft if you actually use it for what it was designed for - to protect the tailgate while hauling stuff it shreds pretty easy. I stack 10'x10' timbers up there and in a matter of days it looked like someone took a utility knife and sliced it to pieces.

Is this correct? The top of the tailgate is plastic?

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=71727
Nbs Highway Vibration, Truck is at the dealership and can't fix.

My new 2008 GMT900 Regular Cab Long Bed.
Drive shaft replaced.
Vibration at all speeds but most pronounced at 50-60 MPH.
Warranty.

I was told that I have a bad torque converter. They are ordering me one to install. 19000 mi

I have the same problem..and they are too replacing my TQ converter today

I have been doing some research and this may be a common problem.

I got the truck back today and the vibration is still there. The dealer has pretty much washed their hands of the problem by referring me to the TSB regarding the vibration. TSB #06-06-05-001A-(3/20/2007)

Now it is torque converters dying out?? C'mon...what's next with the NBS trucks???

It's funny you say that because i swear at times i have the same "rumble strip"[/QUOTE
Sorry to hear having trouble with your new truck. A little out of topic but did you bought this new truck and keep your tundra. Or you trade the tundra? Good luck with your new truck!

DOHCmarauder 12-26-2007 12:42 AM

No old Chap,

I have my Tundra and my Super Duty still.

The point of the post is a lot of people love to jump on the bandwagon concerning the Tundra's poor launch.

The irony is that the new GM truck has a few problems also.....and we are all aware of Ford's occasional screw ups.

I still am enjoying the heck out of my Tundra and it has not seen a dealer for any problem in 6,000 miles. I have NEVER owned a vehicle that hasn't gone back for an adjustment, small fix or something when new. In fact, the '07 Lincoln left me stranded on the side of the freeway for 2 hours on Thanksgiving.

DMAX-HD 12-26-2007 04:51 PM

Come on!
We all know GM's don't have any problems cause they're 'Like a Rock' just like the song states and all Fords are 'Built Ford TOUGH!' just like the comercial says so I'm positive there are no issue with those.

Tundra commercials are second to none racing trailers and rolling across levers - so what could poiibly go wrong there ???

IcemanV8 01-07-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
In fact, the '07 Lincoln left me stranded on the side of the freeway for 2 hours on Thanksgiving.

Let me guess. You ran out of gas?

93RangerXL4x2 01-08-2008 03:18 PM

its time ford get a award for being such a tougher built truck, ford dont got tail gate problems, because they are as tough as the box with a load of brick.

Jonas1022 01-09-2008 04:40 PM

What? You expected GM to put an entire/complete tailgate on the thing and then cover it with plastic to protect the tailgate...

Sorry, but I certainly wouldn't. It should be there. If I were King and building Chevy trucks it would be there. But I am not King, and others are running that Railroad. Shame on them!

NoMo 01-10-2008 12:20 AM

Gotta be fair here.

The tailgate cap is a non-issue. They have that huge plastic "spoiler" cap that is quite sturdy but just as scratch-prone as the one Ford uses. Ever popped the plastic bed rail caps off a Super Duty? It's not a pretty sight!

And in keeping up with the other thread, it appears that there are no torque converter issues as replacement is not resolving the vibration complaints. Someone just posted a few TSBs regarding replacement of the OEM General tires. I think most of us with Ford-supplied General tires can testify as to what kind of junk General puts out.

kermmydog 01-10-2008 12:55 AM

I remember that trucks no matter who made them where ALL METAL. Today, they all cut corners in some place.

Jonas1022 01-10-2008 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by NoMo
Gotta be fair here.

The tailgate cap is a non-issue. They have that huge plastic "spoiler" cap that is quite sturdy but just as scratch-prone as the one Ford uses. Ever popped the plastic bed rail caps off a Super Duty? It's not a pretty sight!

And in keeping up with the other thread, it appears that there are no torque converter issues as replacement is not resolving the vibration complaints. Someone just posted a few TSBs regarding replacement of the OEM General tires. I think most of us with Ford-supplied General tires can testify as to what kind of junk General puts out.

Spoiler cap is their bad, no matter who makes the tailgate. Back in the day the tailgates for all trucks were made by Checker, the cab company. I think they still do business as a supplier for the other manufacturers, but I don't know what they make for them. Maybe the tailgates? Used to be the tailgate was the sturdiest part of the pickup as it got the most use...

I bought my 94 F-150 new. It had junk General tires then as well. Last about 20K miles. I replaced them with King of The Road tires. An Oklahoma tire company. Those treads lasted 50K miles for $300.00 and some change. Last set I got was BFG Radial Long Trail. Good, but not as good as the King of the Road tire. Slippery and stiff for a rough ride and treacherous at times when it first rains.

daveeich337 01-11-2008 01:13 PM

only problem I'm having with 07 crew cab nu body is rear speakers and I've heard of a few other guys having same problem- no or very little sound

Jonas1022 01-12-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by daveeich337
only problem I'm having with 07 crew cab nu body is rear speakers and I've heard of a few other guys having same problem- no or very little sound

I just spoke with my nephew in OK. He bought a GMC extended cab last year. I assume it's an 07, although I don't know for sure. His speakers cut in and out. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. He doesn't care, he's about deaf. But it drives his wife crazy! LOL! Dealer ordered him a new radio and put it in. Still the same. Next is new wires...