Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Best Fuel Pump? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/685356-best-fuel-pump.html)

Maximus172 12-16-2007 09:20 PM

Best Fuel Pump?

I'm looking at getting a fuel pump for my 1997 f250. I noticed theres three different makes available at Advanced Auto. an OE Master Mechanical pump,
Carter, and a Bosch which is about double the cost of the first two. would the bosch be the best or what?
please, any input would be useful thanks.

also, how much would it run if i were to bring in my truck to have the pump replaced? i'm trying to debate doing the job myself.

CRASHCLEMENT 12-16-2007 10:08 PM

Hey Max,I just replced my 1997 fp. I checked at Ford, Advance auto, Auto zone, an even the local IH dealer.All and I mean all the pumps are made by Carter.So where ever you find the best price is where I would get it!!!! Go ahead an get new rubber lines at Ford dealer nearest you. You won't regret it. Oh,also get new banjo washers. Good luck!!!!!!!!

NWO_diesel_nut 12-17-2007 12:48 PM

My best price locally was at International for $180. Ford wanted $250. Same pump, different leaches.

Hussler 12-17-2007 12:59 PM

Got mine from SCHUCKS / CHECKER last month for $78.99 Took printed copy of item and they honored the price.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ype=52&PTSet=A

Had to go to International Dealer for the banjo washers.

1997F-350 12-17-2007 03:02 PM

go to napa its about 100 bucks and made by carter. and as far as i know they are the only ones who make that pump. bosch makes the fuel dampner but that is about it.

same pump that ford sells for twice the price. do it yourself. if not its probably upwards of 1000 at the dealership.

good luck

Todd525 12-17-2007 03:37 PM

This has been covered, Carter pumps use the plastic ABS insert, bosch are machined for flat surface mating. Do a search on the forum. Bosch pump at Autozone is 75.88 plus tax, I have receipt to prove if need be. Has all numbers and specs.

Sangetsu03 12-26-2007 07:15 PM

I did this particular job myself today. The Carter pump I got didn't have the resin inserts on the bottom, I suppose there is more than one type.

Installing the pump yourself isn't very difficult. You only need a few tools: a 3/8" ratchet, 8mm, 10mm, and a 13mm socket, a slotted screwdriver, and a 32mm box end wrench for the large line fittin nut on the ass end of the pump.

You'll also need a large number of rags to soak up the fuel that will spill in the valley.

I removed the filter canister completely when replacing my pump, not because it was necessary, but because it gave me more room to work with, and allowed me to clean up 12 years of accumulated gunk from the valley area.

The 8mm socket is for removing the solenoid to the left of the canister. Again, not really necessary, but it makes it easier to plug and unplug the electrical connector attached to the canister. The 13mm socket is for removing the engine cover, and loosening the 2 caniser mounting bolts. The 10mm is for removing the pump bolts, and the FPR.

Make sure your new pump comes with the washers for the fuel line fitting/bolt, and get a new o-ring for the FPR (fuel pressure regulator).

PAVEMENTMAN 12-26-2007 08:37 PM

I JUST TOOK MINE TO A LOCAL DIESEL MECHANIC AND HE CHARGED ME $375.00 THAT INCLUDED THE NEW CARTER PUMP. GO WITH CARTER THERE THE BEST MOST RELIABLE.

c00nhunterjoe 12-26-2007 09:27 PM

i am going to replace mine with a superduty electric pump. i have the pump just need the time

fordman837000 12-27-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
i am going to replace mine with a superduty electric pump. i have the pump just need the time

why an electic pump any better? I just did my pump took 35 mins. my leak was bad about a gallon an hour at an idle.

97-psd 12-27-2007 06:14 PM

35 min.?? that's quick, I would have imagined it would a little more than an hour, good to know for when i do mine.