Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Friend's Sis Put Gasoline in a 99 PSD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/683913-friends-sis-put-gasoline-in-a-99-psd.html)

powrstrkr 12-12-2007 06:58 PM

Friend's Sis Put Gasoline in a 99 PSD

A friend in my off road group has a sis who owns a ranch. They HAD a 99 PSD. A not too brilliant ranch hand put gasoline in the tank and drove it till it died. Here's what he posted:

they had it towd to a shop in Moriarty that works on all our big trucks.

drained everything, replaced all the seals/pumps/filters/o-rings/etc.

went to fire it up and no-go. no compression, suspect trashed valves.

so, now its time for a new motor. shop says they can rebuild it for $8k, or BIL found a used/warrentied for $6k.

how much of a PITA is it to replace the motor on this thing? (1999 7.3) is this one of the ones thats recomended to remove the cab to swap? anyone have a service book that says what the time to do this swap is?

I'm not sure how they checked compression. Could the injectors be shot? Would replacing them be the next step? What else could be wrong or is it probably toast?

Action4478 12-12-2007 07:18 PM

If they replaced all of that , before they checked the compression,, they went to the wrong shop....Before I put in a new motor , I would verify compression...

A compression leak down test , would be more accurate....

powrstrkr 12-12-2007 08:00 PM

I'll pass along any advice that's posted. What is the worst case? Could valves or heads be damaged? Bottom end? Or does it have to be inj or fuel related? I'd hate to see them sink a ton of cash into a new motor or new truck when this one can be fixed.

Thanks for any help.

1997F-350 12-12-2007 09:00 PM

i would have to think it ran very hot and you know what that does??????

Todd525 12-12-2007 09:02 PM

I have a 01 motor here complete, 4k gets it plus shipping.

powrstrkr 12-12-2007 09:21 PM

How many miles on that 01 motor? I'll let him know, just in case he needs it.

ForemanES 12-12-2007 09:27 PM

Kinda on the same topic but cant you run 1/4 gasoline with diesel and still be ok? I was told that once and I see people taking it to the dealership and droping the tank for a small price.

FARM69 12-12-2007 09:43 PM

We used to put a little gasoline in our barrels back in the day to help prevent knotheads from stealing it. I know a couple old timers that still practice this.

I think 1/4 gasoline in a 20 gallon take is as little high. I think we put in like 50 gallons in a 500 gallon barrel. Basically not enough to do anything but mess up the smell a little bit.

IMHO I wouldn't put any gasoline in your tank.

On another note, I got a buddy that works at a repair shop and they usually get one or two pickups in a month filled with gas instead of diesel. He siphons it out and puts it in his Chevy Corsica. She smokes a little once shes started, but it sure is cheap fuel. lol

tjbeggs 12-12-2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ForemanES
Kinda on the same topic but cant you run 1/4 gasoline with diesel and still be ok? I was told that once and I see people taking it to the dealership and droping the tank for a small price.

NO!! no unleaded in Diesel ever!! atleast not ever in my truck!

As for the OP the engine certainly needs more diagnostic before it gets a new motor. Rarely will a diesel be killed when it get gas in the fuel but its hard to say the % and the amount of time it ran before it died.

Action4478 12-12-2007 09:57 PM

After thinking about it ,,, the injectors are the only thing I would look at....Everything else will be really clean.....

farmert 12-12-2007 10:30 PM

Back when we had high sulfer diesel you could run 2% gas in with your diesel (2gal. gas to 100 gal diesel) to prevent gelling, when number one fuel wasn't available. This was in over the road tractors. I would think this new diesel would be the same. Just my 2 pennies.

powrstrkr 12-12-2007 11:05 PM

I'll pass along all this info. Thanks everyone.

FARM69 12-12-2007 11:35 PM

I'm sure they are probably ok. I've heard many of horror stories like this. However, must of them don't have any problems once they flush the system.

kawa 12-13-2007 03:01 AM

I do not know this for a fact but I have always been under the belief that pure gasoline in a diesel causes the diesel motor to just "Run away".

Now I'm not sure just what that means but what are the charactoristics of a diesel running on pure gas? I would think that something very different would occur and cause a little concern?

Rog

MLCinNCTX 12-13-2007 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by powrstrkr
so, now its time for a new motor. shop says they can rebuild it for $8k, or BIL found a used/warrentied for $6k.

Before I spent $8k on a "rebuild" I would give serious thought to this motor at $6.9k with free shipping it would seem to be a better deal. You would still have to deal with the labor.

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...tegoryID=76987