Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2wd in snow/ice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/679929-2wd-in-snow-ice.html)

acrbill 12-01-2007 04:15 PM

2wd in snow/ice

Well we are getting our first snow of the year in Chicagoland today. There isn't much of a buildup yet but it has begun icing so I figured now is a good time to test out my 07 2wd. I traded in a 98 that had 2hi, awd, 4wh, 4wl so I was a little worried about how the 2wd would react.

Before I tested out the expy I tested my 07 Mustang with no traction control or ABS. If you got on it in a corner the tail would whip out easily. The tires where spinning when leaving a stop.

When I got into the Expy I tried the same antics and surprisingly there was no way the tail was stepping out with the array of traction aids. It honestly felt like AWD mode in my 98. Everything feels seemless with no surprises when traction control kicked in. I suppose the next test will be when we get 8+ inches of snow and the front wheels have some resistance.

Newton007 12-01-2007 05:46 PM

I would think the traction control in your situation would work much better than an normal open differential would. This is why I was able to drive a 2 wd car with posi track and studded snows in the winter for twelve years with out a problem getting stuck. Of course 4x4 is better, but just some what better in most conditions on the street.
With a 4x4 you have more control in snow and ice conditions for sure, but sometimes that can lead to over confidence and trouble. In a two wheel drive even with a traction control device you are always reminded of your limits and I think anyway become a better driver in the snow and ice than some might be in a 4x4.
I don't know how many times while driving on the highway in snow storm someone in a 4x4 has passed me going like a BOOH (bat out of hell) only to find them several miles down the road in a ditch.

One time at 12:30 AM during the winter West of Denver Colorado I was driving 25 MPH on a 55 MPH highway on dry pavement. Why? Well because I had been driving that highway for 10 years and I knew that when the wind was blowing from the West the snow drifts would be up to 3 feet high in places across the high way even though most of the highway was dry. Sure enough some 4x4 past me going like a BOOH.
So I just watched and about a mile ahead I saw the brake lights come on, then go way up in the air and then nothing. When I got up there he was upside down at the bottom of a canyon. He must have hit about a four foot high drift going about 90 to fly off the road that far. Put a nice hole in the drift for me to drive through.

4x4, 2 wd there is a difference, but it is the driver too.

acrbill 12-01-2007 06:23 PM

I like to consider myself a good driver. I was actually concerned that the traction control would impede on my control of the vehicle. Growing up my ma always had 4x4 K5 blazers so I knew at a young age that you should never outdrive your brakes.

With my 98 I used 4x4 maybe 3 times in 2 years. I plan on keeping my 07 for a long time so I wanted fewer bits that could break down over the years.

afreemanmd 12-01-2007 06:31 PM

yeah, I agree. I'm in the camp that all cars have 4 wheel brakes, so 4 wheel drive will only allow you to get going faster and have more trouble ;-)

Enjoy the snow. I live in TX and its been snow free so far and almost tshirt weather lol

Isaac

Newton007 12-01-2007 06:50 PM

When showing my wife how to operate the 94 Broncos 4x4 switches I failed to give a full description of operation. She had been used to driving a 95 T Bird so this 4x4 thing was new to her. One day in a snow storm she came home from work all jumpy and excited about how much problem she had driving the Bronco. I said "well did you have it in 4x4?' "No" she said. I said "well why not?" "Because YOU said to put it in 4x4 when it snows, this was ice not snow"
Ok plan "B". "yeah you are right I did say snow" "I should have said snow and ice".

And you wonder why I have gray hair.

T-pole 12-01-2007 08:16 PM

Arcbill - I'm here in Chicago too. Have a 99 AWD Expedition. It's great in the snow. 128,000 miles on it, and so far 0 problems with any part of the drive train.

I'd be interested in how the rear wheel drive is in the snow. I'll be getting a new truck in the next year or so, and was thinking about dropping the 4 x 4 to save another MPG or so, but love the confidence in the snow.

GMGGG 12-19-2007 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by T-pole
Arcbill - I'm here in Chicago too. Have a 99 AWD Expedition. It's great in the snow. 128,000 miles on it, and so far 0 problems with any part of the drive train.

I'd be interested in how the rear wheel drive is in the snow. I'll be getting a new truck in the next year or so, and was thinking about dropping the 4 x 4 to save another MPG or so, but love the confidence in the snow.

I have a 2WD '07 in <st1>New England</st1> and was nervous about it in the snow. I was coming from a AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee that was terrible in the snow. I slid everywhere unless I had that in 4-Lo.

We had several inches of snow this past Sunday so rather than shoveling all day I decided to take the family down the to the mall to see a movie which is about 7 miles each way. It was actively snowing so the secondary roads were still pretty covered. Highway was plowed but snow covered. My 2WD '07 did just fine. Like others have said. Take it slow and steady and it was not a problem. I did try jumping on it a little bit but the traction control kicked in and did a decent job.

I think most of the problems with driving in conditions like this is stopping and 4WD is no better than 2WD there.

rich93cw 12-19-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GMGGG
......I think most of the problems with driving in conditions like this is stopping and 4WD is no better than 2WD there.

And when poser SUVers finally realize that, we will stop seeing them in ditches along the side of the road every winter!

IQ9 12-20-2007 11:38 AM

What is a poser SUVer?? Would that be the same as someone with a lack of skill behind the wheel of an auto?

rich93cw 12-20-2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by IQ9
What is a poser SUVer?? Would that be the same as someone with a lack of skill behind the wheel of an auto?

I suppose so, but actually, I was thinking about all the people who buy SUVs because they imagine going everywhere and do everything with their vehicle, because somehow the vehicle has magic powers that make them good drivers in rain, snow, grass, mud, rocks, gravel and sand, when in fact, they still end up in stuck in ditches on the sides of roads, most recently snow covered.

Newton007 12-20-2007 10:49 PM

I remember in 1978 TV commercials showing Dodge 4x4s jumping over ditches and things. Well here in the mountains of Colorado many people from Denver would come up here and try to do like they seen on TV with their new Dodge 4X4. The result was that they were tearing out the front leaf springs and usually ending up broken down in a ditch. Some people! Gee.

mlb4966 12-21-2007 12:19 AM

I run my truck most of the time in 2wd. I have a good set of studded, sipped winter tires. If it gets to icy I'll throw it into 4wd. If I'm towing a heavy load and icy it goes into 4wd. Deep snow and it goes into 4wd but for the most part I keep it in 2wd. Snow and ice on road from Sept to May...

Take no offense but we do get those from the lower 48 up here on their first winter and off the road they go. The first thing I notice is the out-of-state tags as I drive by. The second thing I notice is the bald, useless summer tires. Good tires do make a difference.

PS. No one uses chains up here.

Newton007 12-21-2007 01:55 AM

One time in a snow storm West of Denver during the winter 1986 on I-70. There was a long line of cars backed up miles behind a car that was holding up traffic by going very slow and going all over the road. As I finally made my way past the car, I noticed the license plate.
Florida.

IQ9 12-21-2007 11:25 AM

I do see where poser SUVesr comes from and YES, I have seen many of these folks. I just call them knuckle Heads but I like poser SUVers. I think I will use it...THANKS!