Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Another Bio question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/678842-another-bio-question.html)

tndiesel 11-28-2007 08:41 AM

Another Bio question

If I run B20 should I expect any problems like fuel leaks or anything? My reason for considering this is B20 offers good lubrication, isn't that right? Oh yeah, do I need to worry about gelling in cold weather with B20?

MagKarl 11-28-2007 09:41 AM

I've been running B20 a lot for the last few months with no problems yet, not even any fuel filter troubles as I was warned I'd probably see. In my neck of the woods it's cheaper than regular diesel, and good lube too. I don't use any 2 stroke oil with it. I have had one minor fuel leak that comes and goes that I still havent' tracked down, maybe from the B20, but probably just reality with a 12 year old rig with 225K on it. No idea on gelling.

tjbeggs 11-28-2007 09:58 AM

Fuel leaks are kind of a urban legend in my mind for newer than early 90's trucks. Natural/butyl rubber won't stand up to BD but our trucks use viton seals and what not which will hold up to the BD. Most don't experience leaks after using BD. Gelling is a problem depending on temps but I don't know what temp B20 will gell at. Your best bet would be to get a mason jar of B20 and stick it in the frig. if its doesn't gel then put it in the freezer. Check it every now and then and measure the temp of the B20. Once it starts to have particles drop out that is the where you are safe to run it. Some anti-gell additives will help.

Flea 11-28-2007 10:57 AM

Ask the store where you get B20 if they have pretreated it.They usually do, considering they don't want it to gel themselves.

Todd525 11-28-2007 12:55 PM

Ditto on what TJ said. Even b100 shouldnt hurt our trucks any. the reason for this was in 1993 a law set in that enviro freaks wanted to mandate that everything be prepped for the upcoming fuel changeover. Still waiting to see that change, but atleast our trucks were built for it. If you have a 1993 or pre 93 truck, you have to switch out ALL rubber lines for fuel system. Fortunately for you, you waited and bought a truck that was bio compliant. Thats right. I really know some stuff.... WOOT WOOT.....LOL

plowhand 11-28-2007 01:30 PM

Copied from: http://www.worc.org/pdfs/Biodiesel%20Powering%20through%20the%20Winter.pdf

When biodiesel and diesel are blended, the cloud point and thus the gel temperature, changes for the fuel, based on its composition. The following table captures these changes:

Biodiesel Concentration (vol. %) with #2 Diesel.............. Cloud Point (F)
............Regular Diesel............................................ ..........3
............B10................................... ................................5
............B20................................... ................................7
............B30................................... ...............................14
............B50................................... ...............................18
............Pure Biodiesel......................................... ............32

At biodiesel percentages of 20% or less, the likelihood of gelling is indistinguishable from regular diesel. This property allows biodiesel blends of B20 to be used without changing the fuels normal winter blend of #1 and #2.

tjbeggs 11-28-2007 02:05 PM

Many people blend bio and kerosene for the winter. One guy I heard was 80 bd and 20 kere. Can't remember where he was from but it seems like it was cold.

fuelman 11-28-2007 03:04 PM

The cloud point also depends on orginal refining point,method ,and material used.I had a vial of B100 made in RockFalls Illinois that we put in freezer for a week 5* never changed fluid.They claimed there product at B20 was good to -20*.

mcdavidson 11-29-2007 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tndiesel
If I run B20 should I expect any problems like fuel leaks or anything? My reason for considering this is B20 offers good lubrication, isn't that right? Oh yeah, do I need to worry about gelling in cold weather with B20?

I have been using it as well, however I have sprung a leak near the fuel pump (haven't fixed it yet) but it was about two weeks after I started using the bio, probably not relevant... but...

Flea 11-29-2007 11:45 AM

my fuel pump went bad right after I converted to veggie. I had been running B20 though for a while. I didn't have time to fix it myself it was $800 at the stealership.

Todd525 11-29-2007 12:23 PM

800?????????? I would change 10 a day for that price....LOL

FARM69 11-29-2007 01:52 PM

I had a couple vials of soy from my local soy plant about 15 min away. They froze solid at 32 degrees in my freezer. Only took about an hour and a half too. But its true about what materials and where it's refined at. I've heard that several times.

DG65 11-29-2007 08:05 PM

It may just be a coincidence that 3 days after fueling up with B10 I discover a dinner plate sized pool of fuel under my truck.:-X15

I have yet to investigate.

FARM69 11-29-2007 08:13 PM

Coincdence it may... Mine did that and I think several others did too...

tndiesel 11-29-2007 09:24 PM

I think I will just stick to additives. One more time without me looking up the list what is the best fuel additive for lube I can buy?