Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Flathead Six Electronic Ignition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/678088-flathead-six-electronic-ignition.html)

95XL 11-25-2007 11:34 PM

Flathead Six Electronic Ignition

Hey everybody, I have some questions about a first generation flat head 226. My dad and I have an old Toro tractor with one in it. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find, or if they even make electronic ignition kits for these engines. If so, where can I find one? It doesn't have to be a performance one, just one to get rid of the points and replace the distributor.

Thanks for any help.

rswhitmore 11-27-2007 02:57 PM

Try Pertronix. Their 2007 Catalog on their Website indicates they have systems for Ford Six engines back to 1949. You may be able to use one of those in your distributor, but it will only eliminate the points, condenser etc., not replace the whole distributor.

95XL 11-27-2007 03:32 PM

That would be great, all I'm really looking to replace is the points, the rest can stay. Thanks.

If anybody else has more tips, keep them coming, I'm always open to more suggestions.

95XL 11-27-2007 03:44 PM

I have a question about that Pertronix ignition...
I'm pretty sure the flathead in this tractor is a G block, or the earliest of the two flathead blocks. (I come to this conclusion because, it has a tag on the engine that says it was re-built in 1952).

My question is, does the older block have the same timing and firing order as the newer model? So, would the electronic ignition work from a 1949 flathead?

rswhitmore 11-27-2007 04:03 PM

I don't know if the G series and the H series distributors are the same or not. They are at a different location on the engine, but may be the same distributor. Someone on the Forum should be able to answer this question. The firing order should be the same, but it wouldn't matter if it was different as long as the top end of the distributor was the same.

46lash 11-27-2007 07:03 PM

I may be wrong but doesn't the G have the distibutor on the front of the engine and the H on the left side.

46lash 11-27-2007 07:06 PM

I may be wrong but doesn't the G have the distibutor on the front of the engine with the square coil as an intregal part of it and the H is on the left side with the seperate round can coil.

95XL 11-29-2007 02:31 PM

Judging by that description, I must have a H block, because it has a round can coil, and the distributor is on the left side, not the front. So, does that mean that the petronix ignition would definitely work?

rswhitmore 11-29-2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 95XL
Judging by that description, I must have a H block, because it has a round can coil, and the distributor is on the left side, not the front. So, does that mean that the petronix ignition would definitely work?

If it's an H engine(made through at least 51) I think there is a good chance it will work, but you are going to have to talk to Pertronix yourself and decide.

effie_man 02-07-2008 04:15 PM

i just installed a petronix on my H block. with coil and voltage reg also took an hour and a half

bassdr 12-15-2022 09:57 PM

Trying to regenerate this up to current. Have a 226 H thats been converted to 12 volt negative ground. Anybody out there? Pertronix? Crickets?