Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   consumer reports (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/677066-consumer-reports.html)

FTL40 11-22-2007 11:19 PM

consumer reports

flipping through the 2008 buyers guide and noticed they say they 2005 and 2006 superdutys are on the avoid list. i love my 06 and have no issues with it. just curious what people think of this. and i do know consumer reports does post a lot of BS

kermmydog 11-22-2007 11:36 PM

I was just visiting with friends of ours that have an 05, 4x4, 6.0. They have had just a awful time with it. 2-turbos, 3-egr valves, injectors, I forget the rest. They got Ford involved and it was still a nightmare. Ford wouldn't get involved until the started to take action on getting it "lemon lawed". Then I know a guy that bought an 06 4x4 6.0 I believe he bought it used with like under 10,000 miles. He hasn't had any trouble with it. Our friends said they know several owners of 05-06 that have had the same awful luck that they have.
Thinn=k about it Ford has changed diesel engines twice in just a few years. The 6.0 making a 2 or 3 year run. If the 6.0 was any goood why would Ford only run it a few years. It costs alot of money to change designs. Dodge & GM are still running the same diesel that they came out with in last what 8-10 years. Oh they have made upgrades but it the same engine. Now Dodge Cummins has a 6.7 diesel out. I know nothing about it. But I see the old 5.9 Cummins is still available in 08.

belandd 11-22-2007 11:43 PM

2006 Sd

Mine is kool so far. Love the looks and power.

white_nite 11-23-2007 12:13 AM

My 03 6.0l was a POS. I never had the truck completely right and ended up trading out in 06. I have friends who have had the 05-07's, some with problems and some without. I am currently in 7.3l and would not buy another 6.0 but I might go to the 6.4 eventually, if it proves better than the 6.0l.

blueiron 11-23-2007 01:05 AM

Consumer Reports complains about anything not made by Lexus or Honda. The Super Duty ride is too rough [Hello! It's a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and you are testing it unloaded!], the turning radius is too large [the wheelbase is up to 172 inches long - it isn't a Civic], too hard to get up into it [I can't get my 6'4" body into too many imports either, ya dinks], the mileage is terrible [The vehicle weights over 6,000 pounds! Can you take your RX330h off roading and carry a dead elk back? I can.], it brakes too slow [It isn't a sports car.], poor acceleration and handling [Want fast and agile? Buy a Corvette or a Shelby Mustang], etc.

They insist every child wear a helmet at play, no one should ride motorcycles, every car should be 4 cylinders or less and get 50 mpg or better, and most power tools are unsafe. Consumer Reports should stop testing anything other than kitchen appliances.

Mamby pamby sissies.

RogueSpear2023 11-23-2007 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by kermmydog
I was just visiting with friends of ours that have an 05, 4x4, 6.0. They have had just a awful time with it. 2-turbos, 3-egr valves, injectors, I forget the rest. They got Ford involved and it was still a nightmare. Ford wouldn't get involved until the started to take action on getting it "lemon lawed". Then I know a guy that bought an 06 4x4 6.0 I believe he bought it used with like under 10,000 miles. He hasn't had any trouble with it. Our friends said they know several owners of 05-06 that have had the same awful luck that they have.
Thinn=k about it Ford has changed diesel engines twice in just a few years. The 6.0 making a 2 or 3 year run. If the 6.0 was any goood why would Ford only run it a few years. It costs alot of money to change designs. Dodge & GM are still running the same diesel that they came out with in last what 8-10 years. Oh they have made upgrades but it the same engine. Now Dodge Cummins has a 6.7 diesel out. I know nothing about it. But I see the old 5.9 Cummins is still available in 08.

I believe the reason for the switch was, so it could meet the stricter gov't emissions laws that are coming in 09. The 6.0L replaced 7.3 when the 7.3 couldn't meet the new emissions laws of 03. So it's not so much a bad engine, just that it could not meet the stricter laws. Like the 7.3 couldn't in it's day. I'm sure if ford had its way they would be still producing the 7.3L since it's arguably one of the most reliable engines ever made.

chuck06250 11-23-2007 04:53 AM

My '06 has had simple problems- cat rattling, seatbelt not retracting, paint peeling off the badges, too much friction modifier in the rear. It goes to the dealership today for them to straighten it out.

m350 11-23-2007 06:28 AM

Ford ran the 6.0 for 5 yrs in the superduty,,03', 04' 05' 06' 07', and I think they are still putting them in the Vans.

Now did,nt GM start with the Dmax about 01', befrore that was the 6.5. before that was the 6.2.

Dodge and cummins been together the longest.

redford 11-23-2007 06:31 AM

Did they specify why the 2005-2006 Super Duty should be avoided?

DonJames 11-23-2007 07:28 AM

consumer reports

Originally Posted by FTL40
flipping through the 2008 buyers guide and noticed they say the 2005 and 2006 superdutys are on the avoid list......i do know consumer reports does post a lot of BS

No problems here! Even though they do post a lot of BS, I hate to say it but they might be talking about the 6.0L PowerStroke V8 Diesel problem childs. You got to admit that Ford reported buying back 500+ trucks (because of the Lemon Law) all because of the INTERNATIONAL/NAVISTAR (not Ford) diesel problems is a little much. With that said, I also have never bought anything based off of what Con Rep says anyways. They say that they base their decisions by testing and stats. How do you really (and trully) know they dont get paid on the side from the competition to say that crap?

MattyNJ 11-23-2007 07:48 AM

My '05, has almost 35k on it without a hiccup..... and besides everything Ive ever heard is to stay away from the new 6.4???

rats1955_ 11-23-2007 07:57 AM

I have an O6 6.8 v10. No problems so far.

The issue may be with some of the problems with the 6.0 I know several folks that had trouble, but was covered under warranty. I don't see a big issue if fixed under warranty. I have always had better luck with my Fords than other brands.

It seems that if a vehicle is US made that CR will bash it.

DonJames 11-23-2007 08:13 AM

Consumer Reports Top 10 Cars, hahaha............

Consumer Reports trashes the Super Dutys (i cant find article 'FTL40' was talking about) but raves about the Honda Ridgeline? Now you know they are full of it. So what I would like to know: are they talking about overall reliability, the smooth car-like ride, or using it harshly like a truck was intended for?

"The Honda Ridgeline redefines the pickup, combining the comfortable ride and agile handling of a car-based chassis with good payload capacity...." I wonder what CR considers a 'good payload capacity' is? Maybe compairing it to the payload of a car, hence it is clasified as a car in the title. You noticed that the title of their article says "Consumer Reports Top 10 Cars", not 'Consumer Reports Top 10 Trucks'. Its a car, not a truck. But that turns into a different subject.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/popup?id=1675809&contentIndex=1&page=3

tex25025 11-23-2007 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rats1955

It seems that if a vehicle is US made that CR will bash it.

Technically speaking there are quite a few parts that aren't made in America that go into the superduties so to say it is a total American product is wrong, now Ford company is an American company, but that alone isn't sufficient to say it's a total American product. Now assembled in America is different, but then again foreign car makers have assembly plants here in the US(two of which I pass by atleast 4 times a month here). Semantics I know, but nonetheless there they are.

tex25025 11-23-2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by redford
Did they specify why the 2005-2006 Super Duty should be avoided?

I could understand moreso if it was 03-04, but I don't see why an 06, either that or I was extremely lucky with my 06.