Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Has anyone disconnect'd A/C during winter season???..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/674765-has-anyone-disconnectd-a-c-during-winter-season.html)

mr. Charles 11-16-2007 12:55 AM

Has anyone disconnect'd A/C during winter season???.....

.......just as title state's, was wondering if doing this during just the winter month's would hurt anything???? . .:-X20 . . . . .[ Basically, thinking of just disconnecting the Compressor ] . . . . . . I mean gzzzz, this 5.8L eng would REAAAAALLLLYYY save & get better :-X22 on gas mileage and all without the compressor kicking on and off =IF= using just the heater now and then ;) .....IF this tend's to work out descent & without any problem's of, then i just might decide to put in a switch hidden under the dash to do just this for just the seasonal purpose of...........Please chime in and give comment's / suggestion's / or whatever your thought's OR know of a BAD_prob of doing such, thx......:-X21 ....

mr. Charles

17fordguy 11-16-2007 01:26 AM

well i thought if the ac was off the compressor wouldnt kick on

95F350XL 11-16-2007 01:29 AM

I know on newer cars, when you have defrost on the A/C kicks in. Something to do with mixin the hot and cold air to keep windsheild from refoging or something like that. I forget the exact. As i dont have A/C in my tuck I wouldnt know if yours is supposed to. Maybe someone with same year and a/c will know.

mr. Charles 11-16-2007 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by 17fordguy
well i thought if the ac was off the compressor wouldnt kick on

......this IS true, BUT,...if you use the heater/defroster/floor etc., the compressor DOES kick in = on/off = this you can tell by the way the idle/rpm's kinda does the "surge" effect to notice of . . . . this i know/have check'd to see as well, by looking at the clutch of the compressor while running/ it click's=clutch engages "on" then click's "off" to just freewheel's. . . . . . . . IT's just that i am thinking of either just pulling the wire/plug off the compressor just for the winter month's and just be using the heater/defroster still, But, i just wanted to know if anyhone know's if this would hurt/damage anything??........IF it doesn't, then i will tend to place a switch within the "hot" wire of going to the compressor, just to use to switch off during the winter month's . . . .[saving GAS & better milelage at the same time as well....:-X22 ]

mr. Charles

EPNCSU2006 11-16-2007 04:35 AM

The compressor only kicks in in defrost or mix. The a/c helps to dry the air, which helps defog the window better than just heat alone. I don't think you'll damage anything by unplugging the clutch coil on the compressor, but I don't think that you'll save much fuel either.

alchymist 11-16-2007 04:53 AM

You won't save much, and you just might wind up recharging the system. Occasional running of the compressor keeps the seals wet with oil. If left set, they can dry out and cause loss of refrigerant.

StealthWyvern 11-16-2007 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by alchymist
You won't save much, and you just might wind up recharging the system. Occasional running of the compressor keeps the seals wet with oil. If left set, they can dry out and cause loss of refrigerant.

Good point I didn't think of that!

ccecilm2 11-16-2007 06:21 AM

I've always heard to turn on the A/C a few times during the winter just to keep all the seals wet with oil.

RobertnRhonda 11-16-2007 12:41 PM

Yes I agree that the a/c takes the moisture out and yes to the running of the compressor to save the seals etc..... I like this place, someone agrees with me lol

quicklook2 11-16-2007 12:46 PM

keep it hooked up.

tatetodd 11-16-2007 01:19 PM

I pulled my compressor this summer when it basically burned itself up. (the AC had been dead for years, but i live with a lot of 'minor issues' with her). I replaced with pulley only ...havent noticed a bit of diff in mileage/performance on 302. I'd leave it alone til it breaks.

speedwrench 11-16-2007 02:08 PM

Thanks, I always wondered why I could hear the A/C compressor kicking in/out in the winter when using the Defrost. Now I know. Maybe you could try your switch idea and just turn it on twice a month for maintenance. You'd have to be saving a little fuel, maybe not enough to notice.

lostin90s 11-16-2007 03:13 PM

Lets see a 10 ish year old truck . It works now why unhook unless its completely . It will be sitting for x amount of months things will be effected. Like moisture build up . Bearings Etc. Compressors are not cheap

I removed (broken bracket and condenser) compressor after a run in with a deer on one truck .My MPG improve not at all . I keep records and was not more the couple tenths and thats over 6 month period.And notice no performance improvement .

Keep it hooked up or not its up to you .

airmetdave 11-16-2007 04:55 PM

You're in the PNW/WA right? You'll need the A/C to dehumidify the interior in the wet weather/winter... I use it all the time in the Minnesota winters because of all the snow that will melt off your shoes/clothes and fog up the windows...

Very little is saved, and more to be lost not using it for months at a time...

Like posted before It'll come on when you're using the DEF or DEF-HEAT(Bi-Level) positions.

mr. Charles 11-16-2007 06:53 PM

........just wanted to say "THANK's" for all your comment's /suggestion's / & Very good point's made for the "pro's" of just leaving this connected and all....:-X22 .....guess i'll just leave this as IS and then digg deeper into the pocket's here for the price of GAS gettin up into the 3.30 to 3.50 range for Reg, for now; and wouldn't put it pass that it WILL hit the $4.00 mark by xmas/new year's........gzzzzzzzz !!!! :-rip :-X15 :-arrgh :'( :-X09
. . . . . .again, thx-2-u-all who gave a bit-of-time for here. . . :-drink

mr. Charles