Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Daytime running lamps (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/667138-daytime-running-lamps.html)

rich93cw 10-25-2007 10:06 PM

Daytime running lamps

Anybody know what secret series of switch actuations will toggle the DRL on?
Thanks,
Rich

Baumbach 11-07-2007 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rich93cw
Anybody know what secret series of switch actuations will toggle the DRL on?
Thanks,
Rich

My 08 Limited has the DRL option; the headlights automatically come on at about half power whenever I take it out of Park. Day time or night time. The DRL is a factory installed option and is not standard equipment.

clymans 11-07-2007 07:00 PM

DRLs

You mention it as a factory option. Is there actual hardware required or is it activated in the ECU or whatever Ford calls the "computer" in the car?

On my Audi A4, you could enable DRLs by using a VAG-Com to manipulate various settings in the ECU. There wasn't any hardware involved.

rich93cw 11-07-2007 08:28 PM

Answer from Ford's Safety Office in Dearborn

I got the official answer from an acquaintance who works for Ford.

The body computer needs to be queried by the Ford Dealership scan tool and have the DRL function turn on. That operates the front fog lamps at full intensity on 2007s when the engine is running, the transmission lever is out of Park, the parking brake released, and the healamp switch in the off or auto position.

IQ9 11-08-2007 01:51 AM

My 2008 does not use the fog lights for the DRLs. It uses the headlights and you can't shut them off...even when you would like too.

Baumbach 11-08-2007 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by IQ9
My 2008 does not use the fog lights for the DRLs. It uses the headlights and you can't shut them off...even when you would like too.

This is how my 08 works too.

IQ9 11-08-2007 11:59 AM

I thought Ford would have done as GM once did..put the park brake on and the DRLs go out. I hate being at a a drive thru. Everyone get pissy as though I enjoy blinding them.

rich93cw 11-09-2007 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by IQ9

Only the 2007 Expedition used the fog lamps for DRLs, and that was only standard in Canada where the federal law requires DRLs. The use of fog lamps as DRLs is prohibited by federal law in the US because each of the states regulate fog lamps performance and operation and none wanted fog lamps to be used as DRLs. Thus the federal law prohibits it.

That is why the 2008 Expeditions sold in the US, use the lower beam headlamps in a dimmed mode, as DRLs. The reason that you can' shut them off unless you are parked is because the Canadian law requires it that way, and US law doesn't requirie them to be capable of being shut off. It leaves that choice to the vehicle manufacturer. Thus, Ford and other have chosen to make only one version of the vehicle as regards to DRLs. Their choice is the Canadian wiring version.

IQ9 11-09-2007 12:23 PM

And that is THE answer on this issue. Thanks, its cool to know all the ins and outs between the US and Canada and how the car makers have to wiggle between both.

clymans 11-09-2007 12:56 PM

Dealer Enabled?

So, if the dealer is willing, can they be enabled by a tool thay have on an 08? If so, is it a tool that all dealers would have? How likely do you think it would be that they would do it?

I manually turn on my headlights all the time now. Having DRLs would be a nice additon. I didn't order my vehicle, so having it factory enabled wasn't an option.

rich93cw 11-09-2007 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by clymans
So, if the dealer is willing, can they be enabled by a tool thay have on an 08? If so, is it a tool that all dealers would have? How likely do you think it would be that they would do it?

I manually turn on my headlights all the time now. Having DRLs would be a nice additon. I didn't order my vehicle, so having it factory enabled wasn't an option.

I have been told that the dealer can enable the DRL option with the Ford scan tool that they have. Give them a call and let us know what they say and how much they will charge.

IQ9 11-09-2007 01:32 PM

I paid $400 for the DRLs..what do you bet me the dealers will charge that much or more.

ExpyBob 11-10-2007 03:30 PM

Not true!!!

The 2007 uses the headlights not fogs! I ordered my truck with them from the factory.

The fogs stay off. Only when auto lamps or manual parking / headlamps are on will the fogs work.

Mine (2007 Limited EL) was built in sept 2006, ordered in aug.

So apparently there is no difference between 2007/2008.

Just wanted to set the record straight. They'll some poor guy that will come along and and think his is malfunctioning.

Bo

rich93cw 11-10-2007 04:30 PM

Cool, that means I might be able to get them, and I'll see why Ford's safety office got it wrong!

2000F2504X4 01-05-2008 08:17 PM

Any updates? What is needed to activate Daytime Running Lights on a 2008?