Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   bts tranny ?'s (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/667092-bts-tranny-s.html)

guthrie&co 10-25-2007 08:39 PM

bts tranny ?'s

so i have 203k on the original tranny and i know its going to grenade soon. I was thinking about a bts tranny. I am sure some of you guys have em and can tell me what the diffrence is in driving and towing. Also what makes his so much better and how will it help me towing everyday?

PowerstrokeJunkie 10-25-2007 08:44 PM

The main thing i like about my BTS is the fact i can beat the snot out of my truck and know the LAST thing i have to worry about is breaking the transmission! If you have a relatively stock truck and plan to keep it that way, John Wood in CA can do wonders for a stockish truck up to 375hp for less money. Just depends on what you want to do.

jtharvey 10-26-2007 04:03 AM

Are you mening better than a stock reman? The BTS will have more positive shifts, slip a lot less, and run cooler than a stock trans. You'll be able to tow more without fear of overheating it. Like Kris said, the warranty is great too.

makomaker 10-26-2007 07:46 AM

I just put in my SunCoast a few weeks ago, damn near snap your neck shifting. They ship high performance converters and trannys all over the world. The difference is everything incl bearings, plates, valve body is meant for extreme duty, you can even go billet if you want. BTS and the others pretty much do the same things, I'm sure each one puts their own trademarks into it......

PowerstrokeJunkie 10-26-2007 07:50 AM

Thats the good thing about BTS. When you are just putting around, the transmission shifts smooth as butter. But when you are beating on it, it clicks into gear with a good positive FIRM shift, never snap your neck. Sound like you have too much line pressure.

Pocket 10-26-2007 09:22 AM

Try a 4wd 20 psi boosted launch on a stock transmission, then try it on a BTS and you'll see why the BTS trans is such a big deal.

guthrie&co 10-26-2007 12:16 PM

I guess my main concern is ..if i run my truck stock all the time, and tow most of the time. Heavy and light towing. Would a bts be worth it? Now I am on a trailer everyday.

PETE'S_6.0PSD 10-26-2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by guthrie&co
I guess my main concern is ..if i run my truck stock all the time, and tow most of the time. Heavy and light towing. Would a bts be worth it? Now I am on a trailer everyday.

let me tell you this, its worth EVERY penny you spend on it. and towing-thats when you really notice a big diference.

guthrie&co 10-26-2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
let me tell you this, its worth EVERY penny you spend on it. and towing-thats when you really notice a big diference.

One more ?...Tell me how the bts tows and what makes the towing experince so great. What is it about the towing that makes it soo good.

PETE'S_6.0PSD 10-26-2007 05:07 PM

my trans shifts the same , racing with 20# launch , driving to the store, cold, hot , dont matter it almost always shifts the same. and i havent get my trans temp go over 150F. stocker, after one pas at the dragstrip you looking 200F if not more , the same thing towing.TC locks , it stays locked, another thing, if you ever get DP-Tuner which i would recommend, Jody can program the shifting for the BTS. cant get better than that

kenzmad 10-26-2007 07:28 PM

I put the bts tranny in last summer. with the stock tranny with all my gear, I was constantly ion the 200-220 range on the temp gauge. now, I have not been able to get it over 165. Believe it or not, the tranny temp gauge is almost never even looked at when towing now when I had to watch it constantly and stop if needed. I just have to figure out how to send the core back to brian as I think I may have lost the paperwork he sent me. Its funny that I found this thread today as I happen to be wearing the free shirt that he gives you.