Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   I need new tires, suggestions? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/666380-i-need-new-tires-suggestions.html)

fordtruckman 10-23-2007 08:34 PM

I need new tires, suggestions?

I've got FX2 wheels (265-60-R18 i think) I'm looking for some good all terrain tires, that are good in the winter (i plow in the winter) what do you guy suggest? also whats the largest/most agressive tire i could get without rubbing?

MBBFord 10-23-2007 08:44 PM

The 2wds could easily clear 33" tires with a leveling kit, but I'd try and stay with the stock size.
Keep your MPGs the same and don't loose any acceleration power.

For a All Terrain, I'd suggest the Goodyear silent armors(BFG A/Ts just don't cut it for me and cost way to much), but if you want to go more agressive, then there are plenty choices out there.

mustangz_04 10-23-2007 09:43 PM

I'm sorry, am I hearing things? BFG AT's don't cut it for you, but silent armors do?

MBBFord 10-23-2007 09:59 PM

The BFGs are extreamly expensive and don't do anything worth a darn for on road wet traction and they suck in the mud!
If I wanted a tire that sucked in the mud(but would still be better than the BFG), then I'd get the Silent Armors. They are a lot cheaper, they'll last just as long, and they have great wet traction on road, and I'd bet they'd be better than a BFG a/t.

So yeah, you heard right.

mustangz_04 10-23-2007 11:45 PM

I'll concede the fact that they aren't the best for wet road traction. And I concede they aren't Boggers either. But I've yet to find a better tire for 'general' off road driving which suits my driving habits, and they will easily last 85,000 miles with proper rotation. My opinion, If you're gonna do general all terrain driving, a bit of mud, some dry rocky off road, some highway use, there's nothing i'd rather have than the BFG A/T's. But to each his own.

BEWOLD 10-24-2007 12:42 AM

I really like the BFG/AT/KOs on my fx4 screw, found them to be great in the winter. but they do not seem to last long. I got a good deal which is why I bought them. I asked a few friends that have run them and they said the exact same thing. (they realy liked the traction, but dont last). Had a set of DC/FC/IIs and realy liked them as well. better in the mud but terrible in the winter compared to the BFGs (wore better than BFGs too).

khadma 10-24-2007 12:53 AM

I will not buy BFG ATs any more, I had a tread separtion deal with some tires.
To me they do not do well in heavy water on the highway. My FSB had some severe hydroplaning with these tires, and it is not worth it to me. Not enough siping in these tires for heavy rain.
I plan to put BFG MTs on when the new KM2s are available for 15in wheels.

Cepek FCIIs
Thompson ATZs
BFG MT KMs
all come to mind for me.

Its your call in the long run.

dalman 10-24-2007 12:09 PM

A cost effective tire is the firestone destination AT...I just picked up a set and love them... (at almost 50 less per tire than the silent armours) and did a high mountain highway on the weekend with tons of slush and crap and drove great.
check out the tire rack link for rated tires. they came in 2nd!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

just my 2 cents worth...
cheers,
p

FX4ordman 10-24-2007 12:09 PM

I have 5k on my new Wrangler Silent Armor's, best A/T i have ever owned! I have always liked BFG, but these are great! Traction in dry sand and mud is very good and extremely good in the rain! You know how you'll spin the tires on the paint stripes at an intersection in the rain? Not with these! Smooth quiet ride for a LR-C tire. Running 275/70/17 on factory aluminum wheels. No loss in mpg either.
'05 FX4 scab

corinthfireman408 10-24-2007 12:38 PM

I also like the firestones just put some on a week ago but so far so good, I really wanted the steeltex but they don't make them in the 18's.

MBBFord 10-24-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by corinthfireman408
I also like the firestones just put some on a week ago but so far so good, I really wanted the steeltex but they don't make them in the 18's.

They don't make the steeltex anymore period. They are only available for people who still have them it stock.

The Firstsones are some good tires, but the places I looked at wanted the same or more for the Silent Armors(I found some good deals on these).

85K miles out of a BFG A/T................ IF you think so, so be it.........
45K-55K(if your lucky)!

fordtruckman 10-24-2007 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MBBFord
They don't make the steeltex anymore period. They are only available for people who still have them it stock.

The Firstsones are some good tires, but the places I looked at wanted the same or more for the Silent Armors(I found some good deals on these).

45K-55K(if your lucky)!

85k with the cords showing... lol

I'm trying to decide on silent armors or cooper discovers sst's... i dunno silent armors are definatley cheaper but i gotta think about it...

mustangz_04 10-24-2007 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MBBFord

45K-55K(if your lucky)!

um so slap me silly and call me lucky...

i have 114,000 miles on my truck and 74,000 miles on my BFG All terrain TA/KO's and atleast 65,000 have been highway miles. I CURRENTLY have 7/32 tread remaining. Maybe you guys should learn how to rotate your tires? I'm not the only one I know with this kind of mileage from BFG At's.

WhëëlMå1 10-24-2007 08:57 PM

I wish Michelin made their LTX A/T in 18" rim sizes for our trucks. I LOVE that tire. I have the BFG A/Ts now, and they have held up well.

BEWOLD 10-24-2007 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mustangz_04
um so slap me silly and call me lucky...

i have 114,000 miles on my truck and 74,000 miles on my BFG All terrain TA/KO's and atleast 65,000 have been highway miles. I CURRENTLY have 7/32 tread remaining. Maybe you guys should learn how to rotate your tires? I'm not the only one I know with this kind of mileage from BFG At's.

. Ok lucky, the AT is extremely popular where I live, mostly because it seems to be the most available, in many sizes, and good traction. Every second truck seems to have them on. But everyone, and I mean everyone, I talk to says they dont last, even the tire shops. But its odd, because I checked the tire rack for prices in US dollers (because some said they are very expensive) and alot of the reviews gave it good milage rating?