Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Broken Exhaust Stud Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6630-broken-exhaust-stud-removal.html)

dbugem 05-06-2002 07:56 PM

Broken Exhaust Stud Removal

steveoh 05-08-2002 10:08 AM

Need "how-to" tip on removing broken exhaust stud. Approx 3/8" extending past head. Thank you.

Ultramagdan 05-08-2002 08:58 PM

If the stud has broken off in the head you will most likely need to pull the head. Those studs are very tough and do not like to be removed after they have been broke. Not saying it ain't possible, just depends on if you can get to it. But usually if they break - it's because the dang thing is locked up inside the threads - a real bear.

When removing the other nuts I use a good lubricant to soak the nuts before attempting to remove them.

Deebo 05-09-2002 12:05 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-May-02 AT 01:07 PM (EST)]If your carefull, I used to take a cut torch and heat the broken stud until it was cherry red, then take a pair of channel locks and it would come right out.
:-X25

Matt_W 05-11-2002 01:06 PM

you can try a good quality stud extractor. make sure you soak the hell out of it first

sam534 05-15-2002 03:06 AM

This can be a real pain. If you have aluminum heads you are kinda screwed. Try heating the area around the stud or the stud itself. The other posts are good advice. If it broke off when you tried to take the nut off it's a good sign that electrolysis has set in and the stud is seized but good, or it was cross threaded.

If you don't mind the chance that you'll have to do the job over again, bolt the rest of the bolts up good and tight with a new gasket and call it good till it leaks again. It might make it until you need to remove the engine for another reason. Or you'll sell it and someone else will have to fix it.

Voyager 05-20-2002 06:05 AM

Sam534.......Passing the buck.....come on! Steveoh, fix it right!

Voyager

fastow 05-21-2002 09:50 PM

stevoh i'll give you my input to if you still haven't got that broken stud out. I have tried alot of these tricks some work some don't on heating the stud i have found that when that stud is red hot sometimes spraying wd 40 on it seems to help it smokes alot and you have to becareful of fire but it seems to suck that wd in the threads or the quicker cool down make the treads break loose. If that don't work and you can get into it take your time center punch and drill it out sounds hard to do put if you start with a nice sharp 1/8 inch bit and then take it out a little bit at a time by using slightly big bits each time you will get it. Sometimes when you get it close to the thread it will break out. Also they do make a reverse flute drill bit that would most likely take it out at the end. If you get into the threads you can always get a heli coil to go back in with. where theres a will theres a way, been there done that. anyway good luck let us al know what happens B. Abbott