Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Need Wiring Schmatics For The Reverse Sensing System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/654357-need-wiring-schmatics-for-the-reverse-sensing-system.html)

Skypilot1957 09-19-2007 05:24 AM

Need Wiring Schmatics For The Reverse Sensing System

Does anyone have the wiring schmatics for the reverse sensing system (RSS) for a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 liter engine, AWD. I'm having problems with my RSS. When it is in park I can turn it on but as soon as I put it in reverse it turns off. Owners manuel says you should be able to turn the RSS off and on when it is in reverse. I can not get it to turn on when it is in reverse. I think there may be a short some where in the system and would like to check it. I do have a Haynes manuel with wiring schmatics but it does not show the RSS. Thanks for any help!

projectSHO89 09-19-2007 07:13 AM

Here's the schematic, however, poking around with a meter is likely to be unproductive.

You need a scan tool capable of accessing this sub-system and the factory service manual in order to diagnose efficiently.

2001 Expy Parking Aid Schematic.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the diagnostic procedure:

Principles of Operation

Note:
The liftgate must be closed for correct operation of the parking aid system.

The parking aid system detects objects behind the vehicle when the vehicle is in reverse gear. The parking aid module (PAM) does this by calculating the distance to an object by the use of four ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper. The ultrasonic field is emitted in a semicircular area around the rear of the vehicle. The parking aid sensors can detect objects approximately 1.8 m (5.9 ft) to the rear of the vehicle, 50 cm (1.6 ft) to the rear side of the vehicle, and 16 cm (6 in) above ground. A 750 Hz variable warning tone is generated from a parking aid speaker attached to the PAM. The parking aid speaker increases its warning tone rate as the vehicle gets closer to an obstacle. When an object is detected within 25 cm (10 in) of the sensors, the warning tone becomes continuous.

The parking aid system is enabled when the vehicle ignition is in RUN and reverse (R) gear is selected. The parking aid disabled indicator will illuminate for three seconds when the ignition is turned to RUN. The system can be disabled by depressing the parking aid switch on the instrument panel. The parking aid system will indicate it is disabled by illuminating the parking aid disabled indicator located in the parking aid switch. The system will always enable when the ignition is transitioned to RUN, or upon entry into REVERSE (R) gear.

The parking aid system will be disabled if a fault is detected in one of the four sensors, the parking aid speaker or the PAM. This will be indicated by the parking aid disabled indicator being illuminated. The parking aid module (PAM) is on the International Standards Organization (ISO) 9141 network and can be diagnosed with a scan tool.
Steve

Skypilot1957 09-19-2007 08:12 AM

Thanks so much projectSHO89 for the schematics! I've been looking and asking for a week on the net for this info. I believe I should be able to use this to see if I have a short between the rear sensors and the parking aid module and also from the parking aid module and the parking aid disable switch. If the wiring checks out then I'm pretty sure the PAM will be bad. Ive already checked the parking aid disable switch and it was Ok.

Another question. Could you tell me where the parking aid module is located at?

I've only had this Expedetion for a month and this was one of the nonworking problems I was having. Again Thanks So Much!

projectSHO89 09-20-2007 08:11 AM

Behind the trim cover above and slightly aft from the right rear wheel well. Has a 26 pin position connector.

Steve

Skypilot1957 09-22-2007 03:15 AM

Again many thanks projectSHO89 for the info!

REDMXZX800 10-04-2007 05:24 PM

Would you have any idea the module is located on a 2004 F250? I have so far replaced the, switch, all the sensors, and the wiring harness. Any thing else besides the module? Any help is appreciated.

Thank You
Joe C.

Fordtech1 10-06-2007 10:42 AM

REDMXZX800,
in footwell, in front of A-pillar, behind trim panel.

bobthebuilder1651 01-15-2008 12:21 PM

Fordtech1, I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me where the PAM is located on a 2001 Navigator? Thanks so much....

projectSHO89 01-15-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by bobthebuilder1651
Fordtech1, I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me where the PAM is located on a 2001 Navigator? Thanks so much....

Same as the Expedition described above.

The trucks are nearly identical...

Steve

bobthebuilder1651 01-15-2008 08:44 PM

Thanks so much, projectSHO89. I appreciate the info but..... Sometimes I'm a little slow on things. Does this mean I need to remove the interior trim cover over the rear wheel well and find the PAM near where the jack is stored? Again, please forgive me.... I'm not the most mechanically gifted for vehicle repair. Thanks.!!

bobthebuilder1651 01-16-2008 06:15 PM

Hey Steve (projectSHO89), I found the PAM so disregard the previous post. BUT.... I replaced the PAM and my park assist is still not working. Senario is like this - start the vehicle and make sure the console on/off switch is on.... then when I move the shift lever from park to reverse, the on/off swith changes to "off" display all by itself. I talked to the parts guy at my local Ford dealer and he suggested that the PAM is probalbly bad....hence the reason for replacing the PAM. Now that its done, could you possibly give me some insite as to what else may be the problem? I'll await your help before attempting any other guess work. Thanks so much for your time and effort. I appreciate all you do so much!!

projectSHO89 01-17-2008 06:48 AM

See the last paragraph of the excerpt in post #2. Without a proper scan tool to give you direction, all you can do is poke around and guess. I'd suggest paying the dealer to perform the scan to prevent wasting more money on unneeded parts (or just remove the fuse and disable the system).

Here's a new link to the schematic since the old one above is broken: http://www.mediafire.com/?1hx3kmlcxdn

Steve

No-Tyme 01-17-2008 06:49 AM

I spent a lot of time seeking info on the boards and more in trouble shooting under the truck. One of my problems was in a connection on the driver’s side of the transmission. A simple inspection and cleaning of the connections and the replacement of 1 sensor fixed my problem.

I understand the need for dealers to make money but most dealers and even service centers will replace items instead of cleaning things. Time is a factor in auto repair and we have turned into a throw away society. A Ford dealer will most likely replace a harness to correct the problem where as a cleaning of connections may be all that is needed. I like to save money if I can and I am a bit handy so I spent time troubleshooting and was able to find my problems and correct it.

You can take a new sensor and replace them one at a time with the new one and maybe get lucky. If not a simple inspection and cleaning of the connectors may be inline. I used CRC spray for electronic connections, applied a small dab of dielectric grease on the connections before re-connecting and went back and replaced each sensor one at a time and found the bad sensor.

Yes I did get lucky and saved myself a handful of money but I earned a certain amount a satisfaction on that fact.

toobsluver 04-27-2008 01:22 PM

Ok I read through alot of this stuff and I tried working on it today here's my story...

Ok so I have been having problems with my reverse sensing system in my 2000 PSD Excursion. So I thought I figured out the problem. Basically the system was defaultingly turning off when I put the truck into reverse. It worked intermittently and usually it worked better when it rained. Ok so here is how I figured (or thought I figured) out the problem. When I put the truck into reverse I went to the back and checked all the sensors each one made this faint tapping sound and I could actually feel it in my finger tip if I touched them lightly. However, the one on the far passenger side wasn't doing anything, so I figured it was bad.

Oh in the past about 2-3 years ago I backed into a tree http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forum...es/goodjob.gif on the passenger side but I straightened the bumper out and the sensors worked fine since then.

So I replaced the sensor from ford and the damn thing is still not working. I called the dealer and (I knew this already) they told me about the control unit for the reverse sensing system. They couldn't tell me where it was located. I can't find it. What the hell could be the problem? Anyone PLEASE!

Ok so I followed the wires as far as I could and I have no idea where the control module is. Is there anyone that can help with that?

Thanks!

thebnest 04-27-2008 01:49 PM

How....you mean you...

Originally Posted by toobsluver (Post 6089281)
Oh in the past about 2-3 years ago I backed into a tree http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forum...es/goodjob.gif on the passenger side but I straightened the bumper out and the sensors worked fine since then.

toobsluver - Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean no harm - really I don't - but I got a huge laugh out of the fact that you have the reverse sensing system on your rig and you still mangaed to hit a tree! (assuming you had it "on"):-missingt & :-offtopic Sorry....LMAO!