Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   lifter noise and oil passage problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/654211-lifter-noise-and-oil-passage-problem.html)

WALFORD'S 56 09-18-2007 06:54 PM

lifter noise and oil passage problem

The search feature is real crappy--and so I will ask if anyone has info on the setup you install on a yblock for better oil movement to valvetrain. The right side head seems to be ticking and without a valve cover seems to hardly produce oil splash. I remember someone selling a kit for this---Anyone have an idea? I also cleaned the pan and almost no sludge was found. I then added ROELLA T 30 weight and now this is happening. Bill

imlowr2 09-18-2007 09:59 PM

Walford- I haven't done much work on the Y block but I found this great article which explains the problem the Y block had with oil to the rockers. Hope this helps some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Y-block_engine

ALBUQ F-1 09-18-2007 10:18 PM

Interesting article, seems well thought out, but in one sentence it says the 239 Y-block couldn't breathe as well as the SBC, in the next it says Ford engines 55-57 had more power and better breathing than the Chevy engines?

56efffie 09-18-2007 11:14 PM

Hey Bill I have an original top oiler kit on my Y but cant help with who still manufactures them. Mine has a slight tap on the right side as well. I would post this in the Y block forum, there are still some knowledgeable guys over there.
I bet they can point you in the right direction.

WALFORD'S 56 09-19-2007 09:53 AM

Looks like I am needing an external oiling kit. The truck did not make this noise before. But,seems to be very little oil in the valve cover area .I remember bigwin telling me this was a problem on his F600 and he left his alone. I poured some marvel mystery oil in the valve cover on the pushrod holes and it quit. I think it is starving for oil. I am using the rotella t 30 weight. I cleaned the pan out and it was real clean.
I wonder how much a kit is??? I will put this on the yblock forum,thanks guys!!

Jag Red 54 09-19-2007 10:16 AM

I bought my 55 Fairlane in 1993. The 272 engine had just been overhauled, but some of the pushrods were dry when the engine was idleing. By dry, I mean that they were shiney silver instead of the carmel color produced as the oil runs down their sides.

I added a bottle of Slick 50 to the oil and drove the car on and off for a few weeks. All the push rods were flowing oil when I checked again. I believe the high detergent and solvents in the additive cleaned out the oil ports. 14 years later it stills shows good oil flow.

So, the moral of the story is try the high detergent additives before you start drilling holes in your valve covers for those copper tubes. :-X22

Have you adjusted the valves lately? Loose rocker arms will cause excessive clickity clicks also. Jag

WALFORD'S 56 09-19-2007 11:26 AM

Thanks Jag--I am going to try the slick 50....Bill

bigwin56f100 09-23-2007 06:57 PM

My 56 F600 has a kit on the pass side bank, this curred the starvation of oil to the rockers. I have kits,

Later, Kevin

59 shorty 09-23-2007 07:49 PM

Just a thought but is the oil passage to the rocker arm shaft clear and alined right? I had a 292 that had the same problem after a rebuild and turned out I didn,t have the oil passage hole in proper alignment with the r shaft.If memory serves me the ohv 292s get oil to the rockers through the center support post for the r shaft. There should also be tubes comming off of a couple of the rockers to help spread the oil to them. Also make sure the end caps didn,t come off the ends of the rocker shafts. Mine was a 292 but your 272 should be about the same I would think. just something to check before spending more money. Mark

e william 09-23-2007 08:08 PM

Hey Bill, I dont know the history of what you have cleaned, repaired\replaced etc...but is the oil pump new?
My stock 54 pump had the slot shaft and the pump was that old lopsided slinger type of pump. I have changed to a 1955 dizzy with hex shaft and a 55 gear pump....hoping to get better results. In my 239-Y book I believe they have it as .019 cold and .018 hot. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong
I also agree with 59 shorty on cleaning out the rocker ports and tubes, then adjusting valves....couldnt hurt.
Also, I've owned CJ5's and the 304 had an oil bypass sort of kit that involved a hole drilled in the timing cover an a copper tube that was introduced into the cover just above the timing gears so they would stay wetter.

WALFORD'S 56 09-23-2007 10:02 PM

Guys --I am going to work on truck this week and let you know what is all the clickaty clickin haha!!!! I have a feeling maybe an adjustment is in order. I have to paint the f100 cab tomorrow and after that install a radiator in the avanti--for the wife!! Hopefully the noise will go away. Bill

Jag Red 54 09-24-2007 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Guys --I am going to work on truck this week and let you know what is all the clickaty clickin haha!!!! I have a feeling maybe an adjustment is in order. I have to paint the f100 cab tomorrow and after that install a radiator in the avanti--for the wife!! Hopefully the noise will go away. Bill

Well, at least the noise of the wife complaining about needing a new radiator in her car. :-D Jag

WALFORD'S 56 09-24-2007 01:28 PM

Yea Jag--her noises are something I definately fix right away. haha!!!

WALFORD'S 56 09-24-2007 07:10 PM

What does the oiler kit cost? I am interested in a picture if you have one. The little bit I did today on it was just to look at the valvetrain after I took the valve cover off.
I do not see much oil coming out at all. My 440 mopars would bath me in oil with valve cover off.....I am not sure if tightening will stop the clatter. Hope so....Bigwin let me know--Bill

WALFORD'S 56 09-25-2007 08:08 AM

Seems to be less noisy today. I think the hole is plugged--and maybe the slick 50 will do its thing. I have never adjusted the valves--maybe someone can talk me thru it. I did a great job on the avanti radiator though. Wife is happier. haha!!! Bill