Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Using Mesquite for bed wood (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/653339-using-mesquite-for-bed-wood.html)

divermo 09-16-2007 09:58 AM

Using Mesquite for bed wood

Has anyone used Mesquite wood for bed wood?
If so,what type of finish did you use. I'm thinking of a oil finish, but not sure.
Being from Texas we have all the Mesquite we can need, just have to find enough long enough and strait enough. But the look of the wood will make it worth it.
Thanks

tonygray 09-16-2007 10:50 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a mesquite tree (bush) that was big enough to get 6-foot long boards from.

divermo 09-16-2007 01:22 PM

I posted a photo of someone else's pickup with a Mesquite Bed.

bememe 09-16-2007 01:24 PM

I believe if you try and make it into boards the dang stuff just doesn't stay straight or flat. I'm no woodworker but I think that's the case.

himmelberg 09-16-2007 02:04 PM

A friend of mine use to harvest mesquite TREES and turn them into 5/4 planks, many of which were 6' long. He's disabled now and lives somewhere in south Texas and I have lost touch with him.

He did donate a few planks for one of my sculptures when I was in college in Odessa. The wood was used for the prow of a wooden boat. It has remained stable in my studio for a dozen years. Beautiful wood and properly dried lumber is very pricy.

Good luck finding a mill out here to run mesquite planks on the cheap. Is there a Paxton's in Abilene? Ft. Worth is your next best bet. I sure wish that I had the foresight to grab up some of my friend's lumber before he went away.

mesquiteless in midland, himmelberg

popatony 09-16-2007 02:29 PM

mesquite bed

all can say is damn thats purdy.

havi 09-16-2007 04:56 PM

wow, that is a nice wood. Looks to me like the ocasional red pine that has lots of wane, only that's more flat. I like the ideas of different woods, and have thrown a couple ideas around myself....diamond willow, and aspen. But I'm looking for a white/ivory type wood only in a hardwood type. But if I wanted dark, I'd sure try that Mesquite anyway i can.

4tl8ford 09-16-2007 05:06 PM

Now wouldn't that Mesquite make a nice Steak Bed?

divermo 09-16-2007 05:10 PM

I'll keep the scraps for that, maybe a nice T-Bone.

mtflat 09-16-2007 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Now wouldn't that Mesquite make a nice Steak Bed?

I was thinking BBQ myself........

havi 09-16-2007 05:15 PM

I'll bring the frosties.

divermo 09-16-2007 05:18 PM

Anyone know the thickness of bed wood? My '49 currently has a metal floor that I plan on cutting out and replacing with that "purdy" wood.

jmadsen 09-16-2007 10:53 PM

Cedar might not be quite as dark but I bet it could look similar with the knots and the varying colors from dark to orange/tan and lighter, plus it would smell good! just thinking of a possible alternative??

Good luck JM

Huntfamily53 09-17-2007 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by jmadsen
Cedar might not be quite as dark but I bet it could look similar with the knots and the varying colors from dark to orange/tan and lighter, plus it would smell good! just thinking of a possible alternative??

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the wood color. I wonder if cedar would be hard enough though...?

Mesquite sure is a cool lookin' wood!

GreatNorthWoods 09-17-2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Huntfamily53
Mesquite sure is a cool lookin' wood!

Use it in my smoker all the time...great stuff, but have never heard of it being used for a bed floor! :-huh