Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum196/)
-   -   Throttle body spacers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/650292-throttle-body-spacers.html)

race21j 09-07-2007 03:34 AM

Throttle body spacers

Hey everyone, do the 1 inch throttle body spacers do any thing? They claim more horsepower and some mileage gains.Don't want to throw money away.I want to put one on an 1989 F250 with a 351 .
Thanks

phil6608 09-07-2007 06:13 AM

They make a very nice and expensive paperweight! lol Save your money for something that works!

race21j 09-07-2007 02:47 PM

Thanks that is what I thought,but I'm not real good with air flow on an EFI motor.The best thing I have put on so far is a K&N air filter.

ReAX 09-08-2007 08:14 PM

I have to agree, I was not happy with mine either. It made the intake whistle, I measured about 0.3 mpg decline and no extra power. If your running a stock intake, then perhaps they work, but I wouldn't do it with a cold air kit.

bareaneye 09-08-2007 09:29 PM

I had a very good experience with a throttle body spacer. I placed one on a 97 Yukon and gained about 1-1.5 mpg. When I put a FIPK from K & N on it, I lost!!! The throttle body spacer was the only bolt on that actually performed. I used the helix spiral type.

ReAX 09-08-2007 11:30 PM

Well your mixing two concepts. The screw type air directors (poweraid, s&t, tornado, ect.) put a spin on the air to make it more turbulent so fuel mixes better. The cold air kits are supposed to push air in at greater velocities, so when you add an air director your countering the effect the cold air intake is trying to achieve.

LxMan1 09-18-2007 07:16 AM

The swirl type work fine if you have a carb or TBI. There is no fuel to mix in the air until it enters the intake port on the port injected vehicle.

wendell borror 10-02-2007 11:46 AM

They show improvement on some applications, like the jeep inline motors, also seem to be a benifit on the new mustang gt's with the 3V 4.6. Did nothing on my 4.0 in my ranger, but did notice a difference on my jeep 2.5. AEM sends a tb spacer along with thier cai if there is a benifit. If you get thier cai and it doesn't have a spacer, then there was no benifit on the ole dyno.

keyul 10-03-2007 10:00 AM

i used a tb spacer along with my cold air intake and did notice a difference. after those two mods i had some under drive pulleys thrown on and after that the truck would get between 20-22 mpg on the highway going 65-70. they make one hell of a whisteling sound.

waboose 10-16-2007 09:41 AM

It depends on the application, had a spacer on my 89 4.3 gm motor and worked great, installed one on my 97 when I bought it and noticed nothing. I think you'll notice a little power power and milage gains with your 89 as it is a wet intake system, as opposed to the newer dry intake systems.

blue beast 10-16-2007 03:02 PM

Lengthing the intake increases the torque of the motor to some extent. If it is like a phenolic spacer and made of plastic or some type of heat resisting material, That gains could be more, mostly from keeping the intake cooler. Pair up a phenolic spacer on the upper to lower intakes and a TB spacer and add some torque, of course if you have 3" exhaust or duals it won't be noticeable. If you keep a longer thinner stock exhaust tubing and add the spacers you will feel a difference.

Bob07FX2 11-15-2007 12:58 PM

Same here, I ran my truck for about 3 weeks with just the spacer and noticed about a 1 MPG gain. I then installed a air-intake system and noticed a 3 MPG gain. Dosen't sound like much but, after time it'll add up.
Bob07fx2

Originally Posted by bareaneye
I had a very good experience with a throttle body spacer. I placed one on a 97 Yukon and gained about 1-1.5 mpg. When I put a FIPK from K & N on it, I lost!!! The throttle body spacer was the only bolt on that actually performed. I used the helix spiral type.

race21j 11-17-2007 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by blue beast
Lengthing the intake increases the torque of the motor to some extent. If it is like a phenolic spacer and made of plastic or some type of heat resisting material, That gains could be more, mostly from keeping the intake cooler. Pair up a phenolic spacer on the upper to lower intakes and a TB spacer and add some torque, of course if you have 3" exhaust or duals it won't be noticeable. If you keep a longer thinner stock exhaust tubing and add the spacers you will feel a difference.

Where do you buy the spacers for the Ford intakes? My parts store looked at me like I had a spare head.

wendell borror 11-17-2007 10:53 AM

Airaid makes them for fords and AEM.

Bob07FX2 11-17-2007 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by race21j
Where do you buy the spacers for the Ford intakes? My parts store looked at me like I had a spare head.

You can find them all over the internet. The AirRaid spacer I have cost $90 and about 15 minutes to put on. You'll have to replace the standard throttle body bolts with the longer ones that come with the kit.