Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   injectors split vs single shot. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/650057-injectors-split-vs-single-shot.html)

mustang_gt_350 09-06-2007 01:45 PM

injectors split vs single shot.

Just wanting to know the benefits of both? What is good for what application? I got my truck use a few months ago and it has 235k miles on them. And i'm sure they are original with nothing done to them ever. So i was thinking of rebuilding them with one of the DIY kits and maybe just doing the nozzle upgrade or converting them to single shot 180's but not sure and would like some info on split vs single.

driximus 09-06-2007 01:56 PM

The Single Shot will require less High Pressure oil and will be a better choice if you have a stock HPOP.

driximus 09-06-2007 02:08 PM

almost forgot you will need custom tuning for the single shots.

PowerstrokeJunkie 09-06-2007 02:21 PM

A single shot injector has a louder idle, it will sound exactly like the 94-97 powerstrokes, if you ever heard one idle up close. Some people like it, but some like it quiet. They do use less oil volume than a comparable single shot, about 20-30% less oil i've heard. The reason for that, on a split shot injector, there is a port in the side of the intensifier piston barrel where the oil pressure is exhausted out of the side of the barrel, to pause the fuel injection very briefly ("split" shot), and then once the plunger strokes far enough, the port is closed and then fuel injection begins again. So during this pause in fuel injection, oil is being used however no fuel is being injected. Single shot injector doesn't have this port and it's just one injection event. They also seem to be cheaper, but you'll NEED a chip to run the engine with single shots. If you have a problem and have to remove the chip, your engine can still run stock with split shots. When i do injectors, they will be single shots.

GregN 09-06-2007 03:09 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. Which one is better for mileage?

John311t 09-06-2007 03:27 PM

They say singles are better for MPG, but CSI said that they didnt change on bit.

mustang_gt_350 09-06-2007 03:48 PM

Thanks kris. Thats just what i wanted explained to me. I'm still a diesel newb.

Also kris. I thought i would have to have it programmed for them but wasnt sure. So could DP reflash my stock pcm to run a stock tune for the singles and then stack the chip on like normal so that if i had to pull the chip i would be able to run without it then?

jtharvey 09-06-2007 05:11 PM

I don't see why Jody couldn't flash your PCM and then have a chip on there as well. I just put singles on mine, and I'm one of the ones that likes the different sound. I'll be checking MPG this weekend to see if there's a difference.

Mr. Bob 09-06-2007 05:36 PM

I want to do single shots around x mas... thinking 160cc with nozzle upgrades.....