Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   N. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum90/)
-   -   New? Have Some Questions? Start Here (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/649496-new-have-some-questions-start-here.html)

WillyB 09-04-2007 10:36 PM

New? Have Some Questions? Start Here

Welcome aboard - you have found a forum that is more about people and fun activities then about technical information.

This is the home of the Northern California Chapter - we claim the area north of LA and east into Nevada. Even better, you do not have to live in that area to join us, although most of the activities we talk about center on Northern California.

You also do not need to be a member of our chapter to post here, but we do like to know who you are. Membership is free, and the only obligation is that you post to this forum frequently and support chapter activities.

Please introduce yourself - tell us a bit about yourself, your ride, even your job. I promise we will be gentle and welcome you to our group. To post, just hit the "New Topic" button located just above the thread list or use this link:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...=newthread&f=90

If you wish to join our group you can do so from the membership tab in your "CP" (command post), or just hit this link:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...&usergroupid=25

Generally, we like to keep the posts appropriate for mixed company, although we push that restriction at times. Mostly we want it so that if someone's 10 year old daughter walks by and reads a post they are not embarrassed.

Posting Pictures
There are two ways to post a picture - you can insert it into the text of your message, or attach it to the end of the post. When you attach it the image it is stored on the FTE server, and there are size limitations. When you insert it, it must first be stored elsewhere on the Internet (photobucket, Yahoo, etc) and you type the Internet address to that image. When the post is displayed the program will display the picture at the point you inserted it.

To attach a photo, go to the advanced posting screen by clicking on the "Go Advanced" button located below the Quick Reply window. Scroll down to the "Additional Options" box, and click on "Manage Attachments". This opens a window where you can select the image. Click on "Browse" to find the image on your computer, then "Upload". You are limited as to the size (500X500) points, and to the total number of images you are allowed to store on the FTE server. In addition, you are limited to 3 attached images per post.

To insert an image, go to the advanced posting screen as discussed above. Note the icons located above the text entry area. There is one that looks like a picture of some mountains. When you click on this a window opens that allows you to type the Internet address of your image. On some computers you will need to disable the pop-up blocker for this window to load. There are no limits as to the number or size of the images you can insert.

However, it is possible to load an image that is too big, which distorts the entire thread. When this happens please adjust the size of the image as it makes all the posts hard to read.

Reputation Points
If you read a User's post and you think it is especially good (good information, extra research, user went above and beyond, etc.,) you can reward him by adding to his reputation points.

To do so click the scales icon located at the top right corner of THEIR post. A window will come up and allow you to click "APPROVE" of their post and make a comment. You should always make a comment as it gives the user more points.

You can also give negative points by clicking disapprove. This is seldom done as it generally starts a flame war.

You can view the comments that user's have given you by clicking "USER CP" in the top left hand corner of the screen. When the new page comes up go to the bottom right and it should have Latest Reputation Received. You will have up to 15 comments from users. If you can't see any comments you either don't have any or you need to click the double DOWN ARROWS beside the points total. It will also show you for what thread as well. Click the thread title and you will see the post you received them on.

Once you get 100+ points then you will get 2 green squares beside your name. And so on for every 100 points. You will get points based on a users reputation. So for example, you will get little points from a new user but you will get more points from someone who has been here for a while that has a good reputation.

You do not receive ANYTHING for the points you receive. It is basically just a pat on the back to make you feel good. Please do not abuse the point system by just giving points to your friends. Do it because you really feel as though a user went out of their way or deserve the points. You don't necessarily need to give a user points BACK just because they gave you some.

And the green squares are only for reputation, nothing else.

3Mike6 09-08-2007 09:45 PM

Good INfo on the points thing...

I didn't know it was weighted.

Actually tried to pat your back, but FTE popped up and said "spread it around" first...so just FYI, you're not able to just build someone rep points at will.

WillyB 09-28-2007 06:34 AM

+++++ User Control Panel(user Cp) +++++

Note: The following post was copied from another chapter's forum.
To access your user control panel, USER CP, click on user cp in the blue shaded area of the tool bar just below the thread title. In this example, under +++++ User Control Panel(user Cp) +++++.

In the user control panel, you have the following selections under “Settings & Options”, (left hand side of the page):
Edit Signature
Edit Email & Password
Edit Profile
Edit Timeslip
Edit Options
Edit Gallery
Edit Avatar
Click on any of those selections to change or add information to your control panel. Keep in mind, YOU NEED 25 POSTS IN ORDER TO SETUP YOUR SIGNATURE.

EDIT SIGNATURE: The screen that opens is very similar to the post window that opens when you use the “Go Advanced” option to post a reply. Suggestion here is that you use a font like “Verdana” size “2”, so the signature is not too large and is easy to read on screen in your posts. There are a number of formatting, colors, link options available. Become familiar with those options in the tool bar above the text box.

EDIT EMAIL & PASSWORD:This is pretty straight forward, nothing complicated here.

EDIT PROFILE: Here is where you make changes to your name, address, etc. Under Optional Information – All information will be viewable by other forum members, you can add Your birth date, Instant messaging username, Details about yourself, Where you live, Your Hobbies, etc. and Zip code. In “Where You Live”, put your city/town and two digit state. For example, Seaford, DE. This will show in your posts on the upper right hand side as “Location”.

EDIT OPTIONS: This is an important section if you want to display your signature, avatar, and images in your posts.

Allow vCard Download, check box if you want others to be able to download a vCard that contains your email address and username.

Messaging & Notification Check the boxes for Receive Email from Administrators, and the box Receive Email from Other Members.

Private Messaging, Check the box to Enable Private Messaging.

Check the box to Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages. Check the box to Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up.

Thread Display Options, Check each box to Show Signatures, Show Avatars, and Show Images. If you do not check those boxes your signature, avatar or images WILL NOT be displayed in your posts.

The other options in this section are for personal preferences for how you want to see threads displayed number of posts per page, thread date cut-off.

Date & Time Options, This is self explanatory.

Miscellaneous Options, Select Enhanced Interface – Full WYSIWYG Editing.

EDIT GALLERY: Selecting this option takes you to a new window where you can setup a gallery for pictures of your Ford vehicles and upload those pictures from this page.

EDIT AVATAR: This is where you add personality to your posts by adding a picture. Two options, you can add a picture by linking to a page on the internet, your gallery, etc. or you can upload a picture from your computer. Keep in mind that the size of the custom image is limited to 120 by 100 pixels or approximately 12.2 KB. A program that I found useful is called “Shrink Pictures” and is found here: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ .

NEEDLESS TO SAY YOU HAVE TO SAVE YOUR CHANGES OR ADDITIONS EACH TIME YOU MAKE CHANGES OR ADJUSTMENTS.

This is a summary of how to use the User Control Panel to make your membership in FTE more enjoyable for you, the members of the Delaware Chapter.

George L. Ruff
Delaware Chapter Leader

WillyB 10-02-2007 05:39 PM

For questions about what text and images are permissable to post, please check out our guideline

https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

WillyB 03-30-2008 07:26 PM

OOPs, don't post equipment questions here - the regulars just do not read this thread. Better to start a new thread, or add your question to an existing thread.

This thread is mostly for those wishing to know how to post pictures and work the other features of our forum.

fastmover 08-11-2008 11:45 PM

New Chapter Guidelines

Hi Everyone,

The Chapter Leaders worked together on revising the Chapter guidelines. I really encourage everyone to read it. Please contact me if you have any questions about it and I will try to answer them.

These guidelines are here to answer many questions that have come up. Here is the new link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-1-2008-a.html

Roadfind 12-09-2009 03:21 AM

makin smoke!!

wasn't sure where to posts this ( move if needed) as I haven't seen it anywhere in the forum , so my ??? is when will Cali start doing smoke checks on light duty trucks . And more important is what years will they be looking at . :-X13

nevrenufhp 12-10-2009 12:30 PM

It gets talked about a great deal in the "General" section of the Diesel heading. Basically, it covers 98 and newer diesels.

90Ford73 10-16-2014 04:24 PM

Hi I'm new to this site and I was wondering how to start a new topic. I am unsure of this, and was just wondering. Thanks!

Nighteyez 10-17-2014 11:02 AM

After clicking on the Northern California chapter link, you will see a blue button midway on the left side of the screen that says "New Thread" click that button.

Jim

90Ford73 10-20-2014 12:45 PM

Thanks Jim!

Arborigine 11-26-2014 01:07 AM

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new on this forum. Is this strickly an internet thing, or do you operate like normal car clubs with meets, tours, and similar activities?

Maltman 11-26-2014 10:50 AM

welcome Arbor

it is a mix to be honest, a lot of the other chapters get together and N CA has a get together in Morgan Hill if I'm not mistaken...maybe we can all get together at the frog jumps??

Nighteyez 11-26-2014 12:00 PM

As Maltman stated,it is a mix, we usually have a meet at Morgan Hill at least once a year, and there is the yearly Pismo meet in February with the So Cal folks, but that is too far for most of our members. I would love to schedule more meetings, or get togethers we call them, but my finances don't permit it. And we are so scattered around that it is hard to get everyone's schedules to fit in.

Jim

Arborigine 11-26-2014 12:57 PM

Thanks. Club operations can be like herding cats. The California Graham Owners Club is getting to the point where 4 cars at a bi-annual meet is a lot, mostly due to aging membership and distance. Good to have networking though, parts and knowlege exchanges are what keep things going. I see you guys are in the area. Stop in if you come up 4, it's hard to miss my place on the highway.