Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Who can help/do the balls joints in my truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/647313-who-can-help-do-the-balls-joints-in-my-truck.html)

one_wicked_element 08-29-2007 02:02 PM

Who can help/do the balls joints in my truck?

I don't have the "know how" or tools to do it myself. I can get the parts, and try to help out what I can. I am just above Grand Rapids (in Greenville).

Thanks.

Talyn 09-02-2007 10:57 PM

I dont have the tools, otherwise i would come down and help. Even though i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing either. hahaha.

need a pickle fork, and some sockets and a hammer or 2. or 3...

Capital Customs 09-07-2007 07:23 PM

Hey Talyn if you wait till after the meet I have the tools ie., the balljoint press and everything needed to put them in at no charge other then you comming down here
if you want.

Talyn 09-09-2007 02:51 PM

I'm not worried for me.
I have a place to work on my stuff, and a mechanic to help.

Capital Customs 09-09-2007 09:17 PM

ok. well if someone needs help just as a note I have all tools needed.

one_wicked_element 09-21-2007 12:15 PM

I am having a friend of a friend do it, but thanks for the post guys. :)

mkratz23 11-02-2007 05:40 PM

Is this what is squeaking so bad on my truck it makes me cringe? I bet i will cringe more when i find out what my local garage will charge me to do it. I definately need to have mine done (1994 f250 4x4 w/plow). Just over 22,000 original miles.

Capital Customs 11-05-2007 09:11 AM

if it is ball joints and you have a shop do it. hold on to your check book and sit down.
if you don`t you may fall down when you get the quote. also you will need an alignment
after new ball joints. thats not cheep on ford trucks.

Talyn 11-05-2007 10:23 AM

I had my balljoints changed on my 91 and aligned for 350-400

mkratz23 11-05-2007 12:01 PM

Where was this at Talyn? Perhaps I could give them a call

Talyn 11-05-2007 01:19 PM

Oh thats in flint, but i get a discount there also. I was just bragging. =)

one_wicked_element 11-14-2007 03:12 PM

I my friend charged me $250 to install them (uppers and lowers - both sides), plus all four shocks. Not bad at all. He has power tools and the correct tools to do it, and the know how.

The parts came out to around $300 I think. That was for the ball joints, and the axle seals (not counting the shocks). The shocks were another $260. Plus a $65 dollar alignment afterwards (I had to road force balance all my wheels, plus the alignment).

Right now, I need to fix my steering box, as I have very loose steering. That's another $200 for the part, and I'm sure I'll pay the labor for that, as I only have basic tools, and my truck won't fit in my garage (it's getting too cold outside to work on anything).

It sucks, because if I don't fix the steering, I'll end up getting a new set of tires soon.

Talyn 11-14-2007 03:25 PM

You probably just have some slop in a stearing part. I'm sure the stearing box isn't bad.

You can always tigten the linkage on the box a bit and try it out.
if you go to much though, you'll bind up when you turn the wheel all the way.

one_wicked_element 11-14-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn
You probably just have some slop in a stearing part. I'm sure the stearing box isn't bad.

You can always tigten the linkage on the box a bit and try it out.
if you go to much though, you'll bind up when you turn the wheel all the way.

I had one place try to tigten it, but it didn't help any. It's like I'm driving drunk all the time, as I drift between the lines. It's just a big dead spot in the center that's been there since I've owned it, and now I'm just getting sick of it.

I can move the wheel about 2 inches and it won't turn the tires.

mkratz23 11-14-2007 06:36 PM

I'll trade you my steering box for your ball joints