Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   West Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum134/)
-   -   Fire Extinguisher...2nd try (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/646851-fire-extinguisher-2nd-try.html)

msgtg 08-28-2007 08:44 AM

Fire Extinguisher...2nd try

Hi Guys,

I'd like to mount an extinguisher in my crew cab without trashing the cab. Right now it's behind the back seat but in times of an emergency, it's a little time consuming to reach. After all, you never need a fire extinguisher unless you REALLY NEED a fire extinguisher.

I obviously don't want to mount it in the bed anywhere....it would be exposed and limits the use of the bed.

Any suggestions?

Joe

riggz 08-28-2007 10:17 AM

You've kinda given yourself nowhere to mount it except behind the rear seat. You don't have a tool box in the bed? That's the most ideal location for one. Mine is under the rear seat as I have removed the fold out utility tray.

msgtg 08-28-2007 10:43 AM

Yeah I know. I've got a King Ranch and don't want to mess anything up. I don't have a toolbox because I only have the 6 ft bed.

I know this one's gonna be tough but I was kinda hoping somebody out there has an idea that I just haven't thought of yet.

Thanks,

Joe

Outlawwv 08-28-2007 03:36 PM

under the hood ?

riggz 08-28-2007 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Outlawwv
under the hood ?

Probably the worst location as most fires will start in the engine compartment. Opening the hood to get the extinguisher could result in bodily harm and allowing better air flow to feed the fire. That might cause a flare up that would result in lack of facial hair. :-X07

Not to mention there isn't enough room to store a toothpick in the engine bay of a diesel engine.

Dave Sponaugle 08-28-2007 09:25 PM

I have seen several smaller ones mounted beside the seat on the floor.
You would have to open the door to get it out, but usually when your vehicle is on fire you should be getting out anyway.

Most plastics make rather toxic fumes when they burn.

msgtg 08-28-2007 10:36 PM

Dave may be on to something. The intent of the extinguisher would be to use when we come upon somebody with a fire.

In my past we've stopped at half a dozen vehicle fires. Until this year, I was driving the F150 with a shell on an 8 ft bed. I had 2 large rubbermaid tubs in the back...1 for vehicle fluids (spare coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid etc) and the other had the hydraulic jack (I don't do scissor jacks well), an ABC fire bottle, emergency blocks, tiedown straps etc so it wasn't an issue.

Now I have this beautiful King Ranch Crew Cab that I'm not about to spoil.

To make Dave's idea work, I'd probably have to mount the smaller bottles beside each seat (besides both front seats and besides the rear bench on both sides if there's room hack there) to compensate for not having the larger bottle that I'm used to.

I'll have to check out the smaller bottles and see if they fit first.

Thanks Dave.

Joe

Outlawwv 08-29-2007 01:21 AM

sorry for being so stupid

wvmudder 08-29-2007 04:02 AM

What size bottles are you trying to mount? The 2lb. bottles should be easy to mount, thats the size I carry in my mud truck and exploder. A 2lb bottle, properly used, will be pretty effective.

Whatever you do, stay away from the cheap ones. I bought one that has a plastic head/plastic covered aluminum bottle that lost its charge after about 4 months. I took it back to my neighbor(who works for a guy that sells extinguishers) and he showed me were it bled off around the gauge.

The good 2lb bottles go for around $30 and have metal heads. That is now what I carry. It came with a mounting bracket and I mounted it under the lip of the dash, within reach in case I need to grab it with a seatbelt on.

Speaking from experience, its a crappy feeling driving down a road and having flames coming from under the hood and over the windshield, thanks to those cool lookin glass fuel filters.

msgtg 08-30-2007 06:02 AM

Thanks guys. Now I need to go and find the 2lb bottles.

Joe