Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Wanting to fix the stance of my truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/641441-wanting-to-fix-the-stance-of-my-truck.html)

jimbo beam 08-11-2007 11:40 PM

Wanting to fix the stance of my truck

Hey guys I have a 96 F150, like many other 2wds I've seen it has a rake to it. The rear sits about 2 inches higher then the front. I would like to make it level, I thought about dropping the rear, but I've also considered raising the front. What kind of job would it be to lift the front 2 inches, or lower the rear 2 inches.

I'm not worried about loosing any payload capacity, since I dont use it to haul or pull anything. I also wouldn't mind if she rode a little nicer. Anybody make a kit to put one of these trucks on airbags, that would be sweet.

Just looking for some ideas for a possible future project.

Louisianaforddriver 08-12-2007 02:29 AM

I dont think anyone makes an airbag kit for your style truck, there just arent much demand for a truck like that. Most of the full custom ones are built by very determined people who know what their doing. But to drop the rear you could use a lowering block, and to drop the front, I think Chassis tech makes lowering I-beams but there really expensive, like 500.00 bucks! adn i haven't heard very good things bout Chassistech.

Skandocious 08-12-2007 03:12 AM

It sounds like he wants to raise the front instead of lower the rear or front. You might want to look into a coil spacer Mat. From what I've seen its just a rubber spacer that goes between the coil and holding brake to space your suspension up. I'm not sure how reliable these are as I've never used one...

Something like this?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

jimbo beam 08-12-2007 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Skandocious
It sounds like he wants to raise the front instead of lower the rear or front. You might want to look into a coil spacer Mat. From what I've seen its just a rubber spacer that goes between the coil and holding brake to space your suspension up. I'm not sure how reliable these are as I've never used one...

I've seen them in action before, they screwup how the spring compresses and ride quality suffers.

I remember others asking about installing taller coil springs, but I couldn't dig up anything in the archives. If I were to install a set of 4x4 front coils would that lift the front any?

The more I think of it the more I realize I just couldn't bring myself to lower a truck. Perhaps I could get a lift kit, anyone know of a decent one for a 2wd? Nothing to crazy maybe 2-4 inches. This truck is my toy, shes in very nice shape and I plan on keeping her for a while, I'm not too worried about spending a few bucks on it.

Skandocious 08-12-2007 04:02 AM

I'm not familiar with how the front axle works on the 2wd trucks but if you install some taller springs you would most likely need to install some new radius arm drop brackets, that is the typical procedure when lifting a TTB front end, otherwise your springs are gonna arch and you'll get a toe out on the tires.

Supercab 08-12-2007 05:54 AM

My '94 sits exactly like yours does, I feel that Ford did this for a reason, I think it is so when you load it uo it shouldn't sag too bad with the maximum load its designed to carry.
I'd leave it alone as I have, unless you are absolutely dead-bent on changing something to "level it out"

lostin90s 08-12-2007 07:37 AM

Well a new set of stock springs will bump it up some ( I replace on all trucks with over 90000 ).After all if have not been replaced the truck is 10 + years old.
But they do have 1 1/2 -2 " lift coils . Get the chamber kit no drop brackets needed.The coils for 4x4 are same maybe heavier . I uses 2x4 F350 coils on my 4x4 truck and bolt right in.

Garage up road just hauled in a 94 2x4 and it sits about level as is.

lostin90s 08-12-2007 07:39 AM

I forgot you can get 2" drop shackle for rear . They are on ebay cheap all time.

Tom92F150 08-12-2007 07:45 AM

There's no difference in height between 4wd and 2wd coil springs. 4wd trucks are a little taller in the front due to the axle assembly itself.

I'd suggest getting a set of leveling springs to bring your front end up about 2". That should make your truck close to level. Bronco Graveyard sells a kit with coils and adjustable alignment bushings for $180.

Louisianaforddriver 08-14-2007 01:01 AM

If you really want to go the nosebleed route then try summit i seen one their for my 1992 but its got a 460 so it would work on mine.

1982_f150 08-14-2007 11:58 PM

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lowering-Kit-FORD...QQcmdZViewItem

phatpharm85 08-15-2007 05:27 AM

I have used coil spacers on a dodge diesel before and it rode just as nice as when it was stock, never had a problem with it. If your looking to go two inches I would just spend the money on a good leveling kit, they either come with longer coils, which may very well ride better, or coil spacers which should ride about the same as stock, either one should come with adjustable camber/caster bushings, I bought a set for a ranger for 60 bucks from autozone, name brand too. and yes 2 inches will allow you to get the alignment back into spec with the right bushings.