Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What size battery should I get? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/636860-what-size-battery-should-i-get.html)

boggerted 07-28-2007 09:16 PM

What size battery should I get?

I have a 84 F250 4x4 4speed that needs a new battery. The battery thats in it was sitting outside for seven years so there arent any markings left on the battery to go off of. How many CCA's do I need? I was thinking about putting in a 900+ CCA battery because I play the radio a lot with the truck off when Im working plus it gets started and shut off frequently. Would a big battey like that harm anything? Also, are there any brands yall like? Thanks.

rbloodhound 07-28-2007 09:45 PM

I have an 1100 CCA battery in my 88 F150. No problems. I have always whent by the thought that bigger is better. Im also thinking about installing dual batteries. My truck has 3 100w kc's on roll bars and 2 55w on front bumper with more to come. I am als running a 120 amp altenator to keep the charge up. When I replaced my battery I went into auto zone and told them that I wanted the biggest battery that they had.

Mil1ion 07-28-2007 09:47 PM

as High a CCA's as you can find.

900 CCA is fine

CCA= Cold Cranking Amps

These days. Batteries as a rule are only made to last 2-3 years.

Find one that offers a lifetime free replacement warranty.

sasquatch999 07-28-2007 09:53 PM

I'm no expert on required amperage for starting, but I know what I got. I have an 85 F250 w/ a 460 engine. My battery is a duralast w/ 590 CA and 610 CCA. Of course, I left my parking lights on the other night (not headlights) and killed the battery. I don't think duralast is anywhere close to the best, but they do have a 7 year warranty....

If upping the CA / CCA prolongs the battery life, maybe helps in starting, I'd love to know...

Is it possible to have too much amps?

Franklin2 07-28-2007 10:03 PM

Cold cranking amps are a measurment of the short term capability of the battery during starting. It's not a good comparison for long term drains. And the higher the amperage does not hurt anything. The alternator only has to put back in what you take out during starting.

A engine that is tuned up good so it starts easily, usually does not need a very large battery.

srercrcr 07-29-2007 04:46 AM

I just pick up one at WallyWorld when it's time. Nothing fancy, very inexpensive.
But my 300 doesn't even need cranking, as soon as the starter hits, she's a runnin'!

Wild Karrde 07-29-2007 11:52 PM

My '85 4x4 with a 351W currently has a HUGE (I mean big enough to almost not fit in there) deep-cycle battery that one might find in a boat, rather than a truck. If I'm not mistaken, it's got somewhere close to 1k cca. I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty certain that's a good estimate.

I've used deep-cycle batteries in almost every truck I've owned, since I also have a bad habit of leaving something on and draining it. Deep-cycles seem to be specially made to not die as fast when this happens, and I've managed to get 5+ years out of each.

The one I had in my '63 Chevy lasted 8 years before it started swelling at the sides, and split a seam. Still worked, but was leaky. I swapped the new one out for an old crappy battery from my Exploder when I sold the '63, and put the good deep-cycle into my F-150.

They cost almost the same, if not just a little more, than a regular automotive battery at Wally World, and most of them have the same battery terminals as a car type unit.

If anyone out there might have any reasons to NOT use a deep-cycle, I'd like to hear about it though. I've never found any information saying you shouldn't use one, and never had anything bad happen from utilizing that type, but one never knows until they ask...

boggerted 07-30-2007 06:28 AM

yeahi was thinking about a deep cycle, i was wondering though if a stock alternator would be able to charge them since deep cycle batts take high amp charge rates.

Wild Karrde 07-30-2007 08:35 AM

I've never heard that they require above normal amperage for recharging, but the 64 amp alternator that was in my '63 Chevy never had a problem with it.

I'm not sure what the stock amperage is on my F-150, but I've never had trouble with charging, and my ammeter reads the same this way as it did with the old battery that came in the truck -- mild charge after startup, right in the middle the rest of the time. If I do something retarded like leaving my cargo light on for two days it'll stay in the "charging" side a little longer, but balance itself out before too long.

srercrcr 07-30-2007 01:03 PM

High charging rates? I have electric gate that has a 12v battery, they recommended a deep-cycle battery....it charges by way of a trickle charger...like 1 amp if that.
I just use the cheapest Wally World battery they have, it charges just fine, last years and years.

bob_351 07-30-2007 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=Wild Karrde] Deep-cycles seem to be specially made to not die as fast when this happens

Im not sure if thats the case. They are designed to be be drained almost all the way dead with out wrecking the battery. If you do this with a regular battery you shorten its life. They should be fine in your truck as they are often used in rvs (mainly as auxilery batteris i think)

boggerted 07-30-2007 09:18 PM

Thanks for all the help. Ill look for a deep cycle one then. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you guys pay for your batteries? I just dont want to get ripped off.

70blue 07-30-2007 09:32 PM

I would go with a deep cycle. 500 cca would easily be enough although I go as high as I can. What you want to look for with the radio playing with the truck off is reserve capacity. I would go as high as possible on reserve capacity.

70blue 07-30-2007 09:41 PM

I paid about 75 for my battery.

hoxiii 07-31-2007 12:01 AM

75-85 is what you'll pay for a GOOD automotive battery. The one i have is an 875 CCA motorcraft with an 8 year warranty and it cost me $80. My other option was an inhouse brand that was 750CCA with a 5 year for $75. The extra warranty and capacity was definitely worth the $5.

Justin