Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Got A Power Window Kit Recommendation? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/636366-got-a-power-window-kit-recommendation.html)

rchassie 07-27-2007 11:28 AM

Got A Power Window Kit Recommendation?

Hello All,

I am going to install power windows in my 56 F100. Looking for recommendation from any of you that have done it and are well satisfied with the kit you installed- i.e. quality of the product, ease of installion , good how-to instructions etc.

Will appreciate it.

AXracer 07-27-2007 01:21 PM

I used a generic flexible worm drive PW kit for flat glass I bought off ebay. looks like a T square with a tail. There are a number of aftermarket suppliers that sell similar units: Autoloc, EZ wire, etc

LEckart 07-27-2007 01:26 PM

I've used AutoLoc and Dolphin, pretty much the same as what Ax used. Not a difficult install but takes a little bracket fabbing. There are also direct bolt in units, I think made by NuRelics and Electra-Life that you might want to check out although they are a bit pricey. Some on here have used Lincoln rear window power units with success. More economical way to go but again would need to do some bracket fabbing. Running the wires can be a challenge and there are various options. Good luck. :-X0A6

mechmagcn 07-27-2007 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by LEckart
Some on here have used Lincoln rear window power units with success.

Any idea what year and model of Lincoln? I happen to have saved all of the window motors and hardware from the 87 Town Car that donated my front frame clip.

AXracer 07-27-2007 11:45 PM

The only bracket mine required was a simple strap across the access panel opening for the lower mount, and trimming the top of the unit to length. I used some metal tube standoffs from the hardware store between the mount and the door panel to space it properly. It was much easier to take the doors off and lay them face down on a table while working on them so you didn't have to keep fighting gravity trying to keep the glass in place while working out the details. It took a couple hours per door to install the regulators. Hardest part was getting the old metal channels off the bottom of the glass.

LEckart 07-28-2007 09:13 AM

mechmagcn-

If my memory is correct (which it probably isn't) I think Fatfenders56 (Tim) has used the Lincoln motors. You might send him a PM.

merc546 07-28-2007 09:43 AM

Hi,

I used the ones that are a direct bolt in on my 56 F100. They work great. I think I bought them from Mid fiftys and they are made by electric-life (not sure about the manufacture). When I bought mine they were sold with the switches but now you have to buy them separately.

I did make a shield for the wires as they come out of the switch but my doors are filled with wires from windows,electric door latche pulls and speakers plus the door latches have been changed and the inside door handles are now a pull towards you type.

Chuck

Okiedokie 07-29-2007 03:29 PM

I have Electric Life in my 53 f100 and Nu-Relics in my 40 coupe. Both quality pieces, Electric Life work great, have not used Nu-Relic yet. Both easy install. Not a cheap route, but good ones.

AXracer 07-29-2007 08:00 PM

No offense, but electric-life must have been jewelers, they think their parts are made from gold. There are very few parts in an electric window regulator to make thier's worth the asking price. you can buy 3 of the ones Auto-loc and EZ wire sell for the price on one set of E-L's. I paid 135.00 for my no name ones and they work great.

Okiedokie 07-29-2007 10:06 PM

Nice to know your opinion about my choice, but I think it was a sound one and am pleased with the unit, the ease of operation and the way they function. I would buy them again.

rchassie 08-13-2007 09:45 PM

Thanks All! Will help me decide what to buy.

Brian_B 08-13-2007 09:53 PM

With no AC and the temps this summer (only 103 today!!!), my windows go down, the wing glasses get opened, and the cowl vent gets opened before I ever start the truck. I don't think I need power windows for mine. :-D