Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   OBD II Code P1247 ?'s Mfr Cntrl Fuel Air Metering (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/634738-obd-ii-code-p1247-s-mfr-cntrl-fuel-air-metering.html)

oddjobs2do 07-22-2007 04:59 PM

OBD II Code P1247 ?'s Mfr Cntrl Fuel Air Metering

Hello,

I have a 1999 7.3 Diesel service truck. I have an engine code p1247 "Manufacturer cntrl fuel air metering" code. Tried looking it up in the book that came witht he reader but it only has P0 codes. Anyone know what this is? I looked at the pdf for Ford diesel and P1247 Turbo Boost Pressure Low is all it said...mine didn't mention turbo...so not sure what this is. I cleared the code in case it was just an anomoly due to a driving condition...but havnt driven yet to0 get to see if code comes back. Also anyone have a good link or resource to codes specific to this type of truck...

Thanks

bdrummonds 07-22-2007 05:15 PM

What kind of reader are you using? remember disel codes are different than gassers, and most gasser readers don't read diesel codes correctly. p1247 is turbo boost pressure low. that could mean a boost leak from one of the clamps on the CAC boots leaking or it could be and up-pipe leak, or it could mean that the wastegate is not closing.

Uzumati 07-22-2007 05:17 PM

DH1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0236, P1247 AND P1248
DTC P0236 indicates a turbo boost sensor A circuit performance concern.
DTC P1247 or P1248 indicate turbo boost pressure was low or not detected.
Possible causes:
damaged MAP hose
low turbo boost
intake manifold or crossover tube hose leaks
damaged MAP sensor
damaged PCM
Inspect MAP sensor hose and manifolds for damage, leaks, restriction and misrouting.

oddjobs2do 07-22-2007 05:31 PM

It is an actron reader....never heard that it wouldnt read diesel....interesting...so it just gives a gasoline code for that number then? OK. So what/where is CAC boots ? I will research what a waistegate is also...and where the MAP sensor hose is! I had a v10 before so I am confused where everything is.

Uzumati 07-22-2007 06:15 PM

Looking at your motor the are 2 3" pipes on each side running from the "Y-pipe" to the intercooler. 2 boots on each side, also under the y-pip is 2 more boots. look for a hose running from the lower half of the y-pipe to a gizmo over the AC exchange housing (passenger side), that is the MAP

oddjobs2do 07-23-2007 09:00 AM

Power on start up is sluggish out of the gate.....after a few minutes it improves. for example 0-30 would take a couple seconds longer on start up than after warmed up. Not sure if this is indicative of this diesel motor or part of the low boost problem. I do know someone put knew injectors in so perhaps they misrouted or didnt tighten something down...In an article on this site....
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...rbo_Stall.html

it talks about the wastegate...should I take the thing apart and look for this leaking...

It was mentioned that OBD II not acurate for diesel...My OBD said p1247 manufacturer control fule air metering......which is not acurate...then the p1247 or the description of what the p1247 is?

Thanks

oddjobs2do 07-23-2007 11:56 AM

The thing was Disconnected p1247...turbo boost low

You guys arn't gonna believe this...well then you might....The actuator arm is disconnected form the thingieamagiger...It connects at the vaccum area over to the rusty looking part but then the bolt is off..NOw to ? why and figure out if there is a special way to put it together...sorta a right way and backwards way scenario....Hopefully only 1 way....

Uzumati 07-24-2007 08:04 PM

are you talking about the gold canister on top and behind the turbo. That thingieamagiger (we cal it a doo-flikky down here) does need to be attached. the proper way to attach it is position the nob on the flapper pointing to the front of the truck and pressureize the gold canister to 5psi. then adjust the rod (screw in/out) to slip over the nob and put the "E-clip" over it.

PM me your email if you need the PDF.

oddjobs2do 07-24-2007 09:53 PM

Well..assuming the cliup maybe just fell off or when they replaced the injectors before i bought it.....I just put it back on...facing forward..perhaps by coincidence....and put some clip I had at the ouse on it..so i did not put any 5psi or ajdust anythig. I did have to push back on the rod to get it on...seems like the 5 psi would have done about that...Someone mentioned that i should disconnect hose and plug it to give quicked\r boost time and they said 22lbs vs 15...not sure the idea behind this but the light isnt coming on with the code as it is now...so maybe I should leave it alone..

THXS<

DOUG