Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Which Motor in 48 F1? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/634446-which-motor-in-48-f1.html)

48 Steel 07-21-2007 03:03 PM

Which Motor in 48 F1?

I know I will get many opinions but here it goes. I am building a Street Rod pickup, not a race truck. I insist on keeping this an ALL Ford truck so what would be the "best" overall motor to put in this truck. I have a 1979 351M setting in my garage that I took out of a Bronco that I am taking parts off of and can have it rebuilt for the cost of parts only.

4tl8ford 07-21-2007 03:25 PM

A Ford Flathead, V8 or I6.

Kusto 07-21-2007 03:49 PM

Here is your first reply from the DARK SIDE on this matter. I personally feel that these trucks do not need a gazillion horsepower to be a lot of fun as although they are made of real steel, they are still significantly lighter than the trucks from the 60's era where safety became more of an issue. I would not use anything larger than a 350 sbc and I am planning on using a 327 sbc from a vette.

Depending on whether your 351 is a Windsor, Cleveland or Modified (the real dog) and the date of manufacture you may be able to make some reasonable horsepower from the 351 but it will never be a real screamer. You can get a lot more Hp for a lot less $$ out of a sbc.

You really did not indicate if you are restoring or roding the truck but my guess since you even mentioned the 351 is that you plan to rod the truck.

Welcome to FTE Forum and we are always recruiting over here on the Dark Side!!!

havi 07-21-2007 04:02 PM

[QUOTE]"best" overall motor to put in this truck[QUOTE]

430 cid MEL. Then when you can't find one, try something else. My truck didn't come with a flathead, so right now I have a '79 bronco 400 sitting on the frame. I plan on doing the TMI 434 stroker kit. I'm still working on engine mounts, though the '71 LTD mounts seem to be the best for fabricating to fit. IMO, the 351M in its current state is sad, but can be woken up pretty good. Of course the 302 is most common, but I like to be different, lol.

85e150 07-21-2007 04:17 PM

You have the 351M. Do you have a trans to work with it?

If so, check out the methods to bring the 351m up to snuff. 300 horse should be available without breaking the bank.

If not, consider the 302/AOD combo. Available, runs good, OD, not rocket science to make it work, lightweight, nice balance of power/mpg.

Good running flathead V8 hooked up to a T5 would be nice....

eman92082 07-21-2007 05:42 PM

Sounds like what you want is low-end torque and smooth drivability. I would consider stroking a 351 Windsor to 393, an "RV" type Cam and an Intake Manifold designed for the 0-3,500 RPM Range. Don't need Headers unless you want them. Smooth Idle, Big Vacuum and a 2.75/3.00 Rear Gear.

The stroker kit isn't really necessary but if your donor engine is shot, and the lower end and pistons are tossed, it's an awesome way to grab a bunch of smooth, useable power.

ALBUQ F-1 07-21-2007 05:48 PM

You haven't said what is in it now, or what was in it?

My opinion is that you need to look at the whole picture. You need to consider that the tranny crossmember severely limits what you do for a tranny. If you decide up front to modify it, then you are free to do whatever you want with an engine, but that's not simple, and probably commits you also to hanging pedals. Your 351 is worthless unless you deal with the crossmember because there is no way the stock tranny will hold up behind it, and no way a T-5, an AOD, or C-6 will fit without major sawing and re-fabrication. You don't want a 351 spinning at the RPM's you'd see with the stock rear end and no OD, either. So think of it as a system.

If you must go modern, I would go with a mild 289 or carb'd 302 (<200 HP) and change the rear axle to a 3.25. You can use the stock tranny with that, as long as you're not drag racing it.

If it were me, tho, I'd be looking for a 223, a flathead 6, or flat V8...Dick nailed it! :-X22

Snowking 07-21-2007 05:56 PM

It does not matter what motor you put in it, HOWEVER the motor you do choose to put in should NOT have any valve covers.

I don't see the thrill of ruining a truck which could be modiefed with multiple carbs and a T5 but whatever this is a battle that I've stopped trying to change.

48 Steel 07-21-2007 06:08 PM

Street Rod 48 F1

Thanks for all the ideas. Here is the deal. I have installed a Ford IRS with 307 gears and an 8.8 ring gear. I want to use a WC T5 and I had a I6 in it that I sold. I still have the original rear end which I think has 3.27 gears, and the 4 speed tranny. I have a 350 chevy in my other street rod and it works great, BUT I promised myself that this truck would be ALL Ford, NO Chevy parts. Keep the ideas flowing.

Kusto 07-21-2007 06:52 PM

Sounds like the Dark Side doesn't have a chance in bringing you over on this one.

TheSovereign53 07-22-2007 05:31 AM

Dirty Dark Side...:-yeahrigh

Everybody supports what they've thrown in their own trucks..So I'll hop on the band wagon and agree that a carb'd 302 is more than adequate, and with a 302/C4, you will have a drivable, almost economical truck.

BUT! Nothing beats a flatty in a pre 54 Ford truck. Plain and simple.

Even better, take the drivetrain out of an N series. There's some torque for ya, in a flatty 4 banger.

GreatNorthWoods 07-22-2007 07:55 AM

I'd have to vote for a 351C for all around good performance and power if you want to stay all Ford. :)

mtflat 07-22-2007 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 48 Steel
Thanks for all the ideas. Here is the deal. I have installed a Ford IRS with 307 gears and an 8.8 ring gear. I want to use a WC T5 and I had a I6 in it that I sold. I still have the original rear end which I think has 3.27 gears, and the 4 speed tranny. I have a 350 chevy in my other street rod and it works great, BUT I promised myself that this truck would be ALL Ford, NO Chevy parts. Keep the ideas flowing.

With the changes you already have, you're well into the dark side without cross-pollinating things. Since you've gone to the work of IRS, changing the tranny crossmember should be within your abilities.

The 351M: set your timing straight up instead of stock retarded with a different timing gear and it will wake up. Also you could go with a dual plane intake manifold (weiand or edelbrock both make one for the 351M/400) and street avenger carb in the 570 cfm range. Check the 335 engine series forum and look up TMI for specialty stuff for your engine. Tim Meyer focuses on 400's - which a 351M could be with a crank and pistons.................

I like your plan to keep it all Ford - good for you! Possibilities and combinations are endless. Using the 351M would be different and creative at this point instead of another mindless sbc transplant IMO.

If you have the original rear end, it's either 3.73 or 4.27

When all is said and done, my first choice would be a flathead - I agree with snowking about valve covers. Flathead - it's a whole 'nother world!

hoof 07-22-2007 12:28 PM

I put a 400 out of a '77 Lincoln, and with the CPP motor mount kit it was an easy fit. I think that was a good choice. You don't need a lot of power (and you won't get it from the 400) and they are just stupid cheap. They are torquey motors for big cars, work good in a truck I think. I bought the whole Lincoln for $450, and scrapped what was left for $170. Motor and tranny for less than $300. Plus I am using the tilt column.

As a disclaimer my truck isn't finished yet.

Thank God someone else doesn't want a Chevy motor in their truck. If you want to use a SBC or a 'vette motor get a GMC!

CHAZ

Dustin1690 07-22-2007 10:52 PM

What ever you do just dont put in a chev engine no offense but to many put in chev motors i dont see the point put in whatever you want id say a 351 would be pretty good if you performed it up a bit