Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Steering wheel covers don't fit?! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/631225-steering-wheel-covers-dont-fit.html)

tobyw 07-11-2007 10:36 AM

Steering wheel covers don't fit?!

I've tried Wal-Mart, Schucks, Autozone, and NAPA... They all sell the exact same steering wheel covers, and none of them fit around my factory steering wheel?! :mad: They are all too small in diameter! Where does one find a basic black slip-on steering wheel cover for these trucks?!

tomtoc 07-11-2007 10:57 AM

i got mine at o'reilly. it was tight, but i wiggled it on. don't think it was any special size or anything. looked like the same display at all the places you mentioned so not sure what to tell you

tobyw 07-11-2007 11:21 AM

Hmmm.... No amount of lube would have slipped these on there!! They were literally a good inch smaller in diameter?

EPNCSU2006 07-11-2007 11:22 AM

I got a wheelskin wheel cover for my truck and I like it a lot. It was a little more expensive than the generic stuff you'll find at the places you've already looked, but it is good quality and is stitched on similar to stock, plus they come in several different sizes for specific applications. I think I got mine from JC Whitney.

quicklook2 07-11-2007 11:31 AM

yep, wheelskins are best.

take your time, park in a shady spot, do not overstretch the sew holes and you will be rewarded with a good feeling wheel.

aaronlockhart 07-11-2007 12:25 PM

I got my steering wheel cover from Wal-Mart, your right, it is about an inch smaller than the wheel. I had to get a friend to help me streach it around the wheel... Now that its on it looks good, I think most steering wheel covers are that small, so they don't slip around when your trying to turn, lol...

boggerted 07-11-2007 12:31 PM

The directions on these covers also explain how you must heat the cover or something so it is more elastic. I got mine to fit and i got it at walmart.

tomtoc 07-11-2007 12:34 PM

mix 2 parts bad language with 1 part brute force. rub generously. sometimes that helps

Van Zant 07-11-2007 01:45 PM

I wonder if this one fits? Lol
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jc...3153G_CL_1.jpg

lostin90s 07-11-2007 05:45 PM

If you are talking about the lace on or sew on covers they are made that way. You really have to pull them and yes it can be fun. But get a stitch on leather one . They are alot better. I got one at big lots for 2.99 . I put these on all my trucks as the stock cover usually wear in places . I cut off old put on new.
GOOD LUCK

Skandocious 07-11-2007 06:21 PM

Same goes for me. My steering wheel cover seemed super small. I would have given up and said it was the wrong size if my brother hadn't gotten the exact same one to fit on his truck. I believe I bought mine at Kragen but I've also seen it Wally World. It's got rubber Ford emblems on a rubber diamond plate pattern. Looks like this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._SS500_.jpg

ON EDIT: Read the fine print there: "Easily slips on all steering wheels". Easily my a$$. That thing EASILY took me 15-20 minutes to get on. But I'm glad its so hard because that means it'll never slip and slide around the steering wheel.

-Chris

tobyw 07-11-2007 06:23 PM

Well, that Ford logo job is one that I've seen in the racks at the stores, so I guess there is some hope that sooner or later I can get one to fit?! I'll try to leave it on the dash with the windows rolled up during one of these 110 degree days we are in the midst of, and give it a shot when I get home in the evening... :-X22

69ExplorerDude 07-11-2007 10:43 PM

Yeah I used to work at Auto Zone and every time someone came in saying thier cover didnt fit I would go check it out before returning it. Almost always got it to fit. What you have to do it put the top half of the cover on. Once you have the top have on you will be wondering how the heck the rest is gonna go on cause the bottom of the cover will be stretched across the steering wheel bout 4 or so inches from the bottom of the steering wheel looking like there aint no way in heck this thing is gonna go on. This is where while being careful not to let the top part slip off you pull like a mad man on the very bottom until it slips over the bottom of the wheel. You really have to pull hard, really hard and it will slip over. But your talking either leather or pleather depeding on where you buy it and its basically a stretch fit.

FarmForward 07-12-2007 07:13 AM

I bought a cover to put on my Bronco when I got it last year and thought I had the same problem... too small. So, I decide to take it back next time I get to town. I leave the thing on the seat sitting in the sun all day, and when I get in the Bronco to head to town that evening, I picked it up and it was as limber as a piece of cooked spaghetti. So, I tried again, and it went on with a minimum of pulling and stretching. So, my advice: let it sit in direct sunlight for awhile, then try putting it on. It worked for me, at any rate.

mr. Charles 07-12-2007 09:55 AM

.........pretty much need to use a "heat-gun" . . :-X21 . . [ hair-dryer], to give it just enough warmth to make flexable/pliable to stretch around towards the last bit of stretch when trying to install......I have a "hobby-heat gun" and it worked great for the use of installing this.......just my 2cent's worth of mention to help.....:-X22

mr. Charles