Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Brake controller mounting 2007 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/630923-brake-controller-mounting-2007-a.html)

07EXPYEL 07-10-2007 01:55 PM

Brake controller mounting 2007

Has anyone installed an electric brake controller on a ’07? I’m looking for options rather then typical screw attachment down by the drivers right knee on the lower dash panel. I have the XLT which has the manual air conditioning controls so there’s a blank panel below the a/c & fan knobs. Does anyone know if there is room behind this blank panel or trim piece that would have enough room for a controller? I have the Heavy Duty tow package so the wiring will be real easy. My brake controller is the Tekonsha Prodigy.

2007 Expedition EL XLT 4X4

Looking for a Cold Air Intake, quiet performance exhaust, and a transmission temperature display

Rob_K 07-10-2007 10:11 PM

I'll be moving my Prodigy from my Suburban to the Expy this weekend. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into it yet, but if I find something suitable I'll post it. I've got a Limited so I have the automatic HVAC controls.

Jay 07-12-2007 09:59 AM

Here is what I did:
I had a hard time finding a location for my brake controller. First I tried under the dash below the steering column but I couldn’t reach it while driving. Like you, I kept looking at the blank piece (about 2” by 8”) right below the HVAC controls. My thought was that I could open up a hole and insert the brake controller and have sort of a built-in look. Then when I trade the vehicle in some day, I’d remove the controller and replace the blank piece with a new one. When I removed the piece to see what was behind it, I found that I would have to construct some sort of a shelf inside the dash to support the controller. This seemed to be more work than I am willing to do at this time, so here is what I did:

Right in front of the shifter there is a tray. I built a wooden insert that fit snuggly in this tray. I then took a piece of mahogany and glued it to the wood insert and it covers the width of the consol. I routed out a pocket on one side of the piece so I’d still have a tray, albeit smaller, to keep loose change in etc. I stained the mahogany with about 4 coats of Minwax cherry stain and then gave it a nice lacquer finish. On the other side I mounted the controller and ran the wires through the front of the consol to the plug under the dash. This whole setup can be unplugged and removed in a matter of seconds and the original tray is intact. I realize this may sound confusing, so PM me and I can send pictures.

07EXPYEL 07-12-2007 10:25 AM

Sounds cool. I'll PM you so you can send me the pics. I've got to do something quick as I've got a trailer tow in <2 weeks. Did you notice if the tray insert/liner was removable like the big cup holders by the shifter? Was there enough room (depth) behind the blank trim piece, and how did you remove it without damaging it?

Jay 07-12-2007 10:39 AM

The tray insert is removable like the cup inserts. There is room behind the blank piece, but will require some hacking. The piece is held in place by 4 metal clips. It can be removed by prying on the ends with a screwdriver (covered with a cloth). PM me with your email address and I'll send the pix.

jakermc 07-16-2007 06:09 PM

What if you just place in on top of the dash in one of the molded compartments, maybe held by velcro. It would not be a permanent install, but could be easily installed and a minute or two and just as easy to reverse. Just plug it in when you need it.

This would place the Prodigy at a proper angle and have it easy to see and reach while driving. Am I missing anything here? I also have my first tow in my '07 in two weeks. I am moving the controller over from my '03.

07EXPYEL 07-16-2007 06:42 PM

I ended up fabricating a wooden insert to set into the shallow cubby forward of the gear shifter. Its not pretty, but its easily removable and easy to reach with my hand. Visibility is better then if it was by my knee.

Efinn 02-16-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jay
Here is what I did:
I had a hard time finding a location for my brake controller. First I tried under the dash below the steering column but I couldn’t reach it while driving. Like you, I kept looking at the blank piece (about 2” by 8”) right below the HVAC controls. My thought was that I could open up a hole and insert the brake controller and have sort of a built-in look. Then when I trade the vehicle in some day, I’d remove the controller and replace the blank piece with a new one. When I removed the piece to see what was behind it, I found that I would have to construct some sort of a shelf inside the dash to support the controller. This seemed to be more work than I am willing to do at this time, so here is what I did:

Right in front of the shifter there is a tray. I built a wooden insert that fit snuggly in this tray. I then took a piece of mahogany and glued it to the wood insert and it covers the width of the consol. I routed out a pocket on one side of the piece so I’d still have a tray, albeit smaller, to keep loose change in etc. I stained the mahogany with about 4 coats of Minwax cherry stain and then gave it a nice lacquer finish. On the other side I mounted the controller and ran the wires through the front of the consol to the plug under the dash. This whole setup can be unplugged and removed in a matter of seconds and the original tray is intact. I realize this may sound confusing, so PM me and I can send pictures.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm trying to figure out how to mount a prodigy in my new 2008 Expedition. I'm intrigued by the idea of removing that trim piece below the A/C controls and the replacement for the cubby hole forward of the shifter. Any other ideas since this thread was started?

Jay, I'll PM you in a bit to ask for those pics if you've still got them.

Thanks,

Eric

Efinn 02-17-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Efinn
Jay, I'll PM you in a bit to ask for those pics if you've still got them.

Well I apparently can't PM for some reason. Jay, if you still have the pics and wouldn't mind emailing them to me that would be great.

ecfinn at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
Eric

07EXPYEL 02-18-2008 08:32 AM

I've used my "crude" wooden insert about 6 times since I made it up and I'm still happy with it. The rubber cubby tray comes out it a second and I just drop the controller in place. It then only takes a few seconds to connect to the under-dash brake controller connector. I saw Jay's pics and his method was much better then mine.

Efinn 02-18-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
I've used my "crude" wooden insert about 6 times since I made it up and I'm still happy with it. The rubber cubby tray comes out it a second and I just drop the controller in place. It then only takes a few seconds to connect to the under-dash brake controller connector. I saw Jay's pics and his method was much better then mine.

Any chance you've got pics of your setup or know where to find Jay's pics? I've not had any luck figuring out why I can't PM or email any members here so I'm kind of at the mercy of you kind folks who are reading this thred.

Thanks,
Eric

chuck s 02-18-2008 09:32 AM

Prodigy velcroed to the dashboard

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...2-IMG_0589.JPG

P3 using existing dash bolt

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...5-IMG_0776.JPG

I think the controls would be hard to access infront of the console.

-- Chuck

Phity Five 02-18-2008 10:37 AM

I plan on installing mine in the center console glove box on a long "pigtail" so that when needed I can just hang it out of the box near my thigh, and then return it to the box when no longer in use.

Have done this method on several previous vehicles, and have had no access or function problems, and its easy to do and easy to remove with glue residue or holes or panels to replace at trade in time.

Cheers... Brian

Efinn 02-18-2008 01:39 PM

Thanks for the pics, Chuck. I'm a tall guy and my wife is short (5'-3") so I'm concerned about mounting it there and running into it with knees, etc. That's the only thing I don't like about the new Expy so far. The center console takes up so much space and gives so little of it back in usable form. There has to be a ton of empty space under that thing. The only reason I'd like to put it in the center is that way my wife can activate it in an emergency situation from the passenger seat. If its down low only the driver can do it.

I'm intrigued by the temporary wooden frame because that way its only up on the console when you need it.

Brian, my understanding is that the controller has to be mounted to something in order for it to work properly. If its just flailing around near your thigh and not attached to anything how do you know its pointing forward properly or not at an angle > 70 degrees?

Does anyone know how to remove the center console so I can get at some of the guts in there and see about running the wires through it somehow?

Thanks again,

Eric

Phity Five 02-19-2008 10:48 AM

The 'flop'n around' point is a good one, so I guess it may depend on the type of controller you have. Mine is the size of a pack of smokes, and has a plunger type activator... it's easy to simply grab and push the plunger with my index finger while my left hand remains on the wheel and my eyes on the road/rear view mirror. That may not be as easy with the lever style as shown in the pics above.

Cheers... Brian