Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Hoisting a Flathead V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/629594-hoisting-a-flathead-v8.html)

rswhitmore 07-06-2007 11:01 AM

Hoisting a Flathead V8

Can I pick up a flathead V8 with my engine hoist by removing the carb and bolting a lifting plate to the intake manifold?

dffay 07-06-2007 12:19 PM

I've seen that done a lot. Even from Aluminum manifolds. And I saw it done by Flathead Jack no less. He should know. It makes me nervous, but you can't argue with success.

The lifting was done to the engine alone, that is, not with a trannie or bellhousing connected.

4tl8ford 07-18-2007 12:09 AM

I prefer removing the intake manifild and uing a lifting plate, or if thats not possible I use one rear head bolt and an oppisite fron head bolt.

dffay 07-27-2007 11:47 AM

I made a lifting plate out of 1/4 steel plate by using the intake manifold gasket as a pattern. I used forged eyes and a short length of chain for the lift part. It works extremely well.

mrcman58 10-13-2007 04:04 PM

I made a (remove the intake type) lifting plate from 1/4 in steel with a centered eye bolt, got the idea from Frank Otto's book on flatheads, it works great, also a great idea in there for a engine stand used by removing the exaust manifolds & bolting the stand on.

soule46 10-14-2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrcman58
also a great idea in there for a engine stand used by removing the exaust manifolds & bolting the stand on.

Is this the type that bolts only to one side of the engine? I have seen them for sale on ebay, but I have also seen a pair that allow you to mount the engine in the stand as though you bolted to the stand to the belhousing bolt holes. I just picked up a 59A and need to figure out a better way get it on the stand. I have a lighter duty stand, but it held up to the 8BA fine. I think my stand would do better rolling the engine as opposed to flipping it end to end. So I would be interested if anyone has made or knows where I can get info on the the pair that cradle the engine?

mrcman58 10-14-2007 12:27 PM

flathead stand

Hi Soule46,
i've seen the type you mentioned mounting to one side only, but the one i was mentioning is a 2 piece stand. I took a exaust manifold and traced it onto 1/4" in flat stock, i dont remember if it was 2" or 2 1/2" in wide, center punched the holes & drilled. and made a frame with 2in square tube. but the cross piece has 2 sizes of square 2" and another piece that fits inside of it, i have a nut welded to one side so once it is set up you tighten the bolt - and its sturdy. you can make it a stationary stand or put caster wheels on it. this should fit all the different flathead 8 models since the manifolds pretty much all have the same hole pattern. if you have access to frank otto's book on flatheads check it out, in the disassebbly & assembily section there is one being used, that is where i got the idea from.

soule46 10-14-2007 01:45 PM

mrcman58, I checked the catalogs of all the local libraries and only found Oddo's Street Rodder's Handbook. I assume you are referring to Ford Flathead V-8 Builder's Handbook 1932-1953. I have seen this book for sale as the "new edition" in paperback. Is this what you are referring to? If so maybe I will need to buy one.

Do you have any pictures of your's in use? Thanks.

mrcman58 10-14-2007 02:37 PM

soule46, yes flathead V8 builders handbook 1932-53 is the title of the book, in my first post i couldnt remember it's title, & the book was out in the barn. i have an 8BA sitting on it now but it is sort of surrounded by junk - OH i mean Parts, might be hard to get a decent photo of it as it sits without 1/2 hour of pulling stuff away from it.

Overkill-F1 10-14-2007 04:10 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...165290.520.390
I welded a length of angle iron to a piece of pipe at an angle, it bolts to the manifold bolt holes on either side of the flathead block.
I doubled the thickness at each end (Overkill?!).
Works great.
...Terry

rcav8or 10-18-2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by soule46
Is this the type that bolts only to one side of the engine? I have seen them for sale on ebay, but I have also seen a pair that allow you to mount the engine in the stand as though you bolted to the stand to the belhousing bolt holes.

One thing I learned long ago, when you are going to put the engine on the stand, take the piece that mounts the stand to the engine, off the stand, mount it to the engine first, then lift the mount and engine to the stand. I still have seen a LOT of people over the years, try to mount the engine to the stand mount, hanging free from the hoist. For what it's worth...

I made two flat steel pieces that mount to the middle exhaust outlet bolts. Angled back the balance was just right. You can see them at:

My Truck 1

My Truck 2

One of those should work...

R