Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Best Regards from Germany with ask (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/628634-best-regards-from-germany-with-ask.html)

VolkerGermany 07-03-2007 02:33 AM

Best Regards from Germany with ask

Hi, Folks

I am German, live here and travel sometimes to USA.

Last Journey I found a PickUp in the back of an old Garage.

Itīs a 51 with Flathead. The Sign on the hood sayīs itīs an F8 BigJob.

Now I get a little confused....

Did the BigJob had the same outer-Size than the F1?

The Tranny feels like a 5 Speed, the engine is a FlatHead V8, but how could I identiffy if it is a small or a big one?

Here are 2 Pics of it

http://pic.autoscout24.de/images-big...94486047_1.jpg

http://pic.autoscout24.de/images-big...94486047_4.jpg

Could somebody Identify this?

BEst regards from germany

Volker

joes52f6 07-03-2007 02:47 AM

This truck is not a f-8 big job, those were semi trucks. This appears to be an f-1. Have you bought this truck? These trucks only had 3 speeds and 4 speeds. Definetly a flathead "as you stated' the size of it is 239. Do you have the vin for it? That could answer some of your questions. JOE

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 03:19 AM

Welcome to FTE

1952 F1 1/2 ton pickup. Correct (heads marked 8RT) 239 ci Flathead V8. I'm guessing F1 because the truck appears to have thin line whitewall tires. Very few 16" tires were thin line whitewalls. F1's came with 15" wheels (5 lugnuts, 5.50 bolt circle), F2's came with 16" wheels (8 lugnuts, 6.50 bolt circle).

:-X25

VolkerGermany 07-03-2007 04:11 AM

Hi!

The Tranny is a 5 speed with reverse, that was easy to find out.

The Vin with the Vin Decoder says 52inline.....

The Hood Decal says F8 Big Job

I hope i have not paid to much, there are several new Metal Parts with it, Engines runs, Carb leaks.....

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by VolkerGermany
Hi!

The Tranny is a 5 speed with reverse, that was easy to find out.

The Vin with the Vin Decoder says 52inline.....

The Hood Decal says F8 Big Job

I hope i have not paid to much, there are several new Metal Parts with it, Engines runs, Carb leaks.....

The hood, or the trim piece that says F8 may not be original, as the same hood fits all the 1951/52 models except COE''s. There were no F8 pickups. An F8 has a GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight of 22,000 lbs. The largest pickup made was an F3.

Reverse isn't counted as a speed when it comes to transmissions. The Ford 3 speed transmissions was standard equipment, a 4 speed was optional. 5 speeds transmissions were only offered for F7's and F8's. A former owner may have swapped in the 5 speed, and added the F8 badge.

Your truck has the last style of flathead V8 made, and is the correct engine for this year. The VIN engine code for a 239 V8 is an R. An Ford inline engine (aka L head) of this vintage would be a 6 cylinder. The VIN code for a 6 cylinder is a D.

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 05:03 AM

Suggestions:

Shop manual: faxonautolit.com

1948/56 Ford Truck Parts Catalog on CD: hipoparts.com

Excellent reference book: Standard Catalog of Light Duty Ford Trucks / krause.com / ISBN: 0-87349-411-3

VolkerGermany 07-03-2007 05:32 AM

Hi!

The VIN in the Glove is F6M2BF12192 and several others.

The Tranny has 6 Positions, so 5+reverse

What would be a realistic price for this? How quick the car will be with the original Engine?

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 05:46 AM

Hi!

The VIN in the Glove is F6M2BF12192 and several others.

The Tranny has 6 Positions, so 5+reverse

What would be a realistic price for this? How quick the car will be with the original Engine?

Ach du lieber!

The picture you posted is of an F1 pickup.

The VIN says: F6 = F6 (not F8) / M = 254 6 cylinder engine / 2 = 1952 / BF = Assembled in Buffalo, NY. Someone has changed something, as none of the VIN matches the truck you posted pics of.

Is the VIN you posted on the registration or on the actual VIN (Rating) Plate? As original, the Rating Plate is either on the inside of the glove box door, or on the A piller, visible when you open the door.

Price = no idea, sorry...there will be other FTE members who own these trucks (I don't have one) chiming in later with all sorts of info.

The truck is no speed demon. The rear axle ratio will be at least 3.70-1. Add the 5 speed...you will prolly be passed by Goggomobiles on the Autobahn.

VolkerGermany 07-03-2007 05:58 AM

Hi!

There are not so much Goggomobiles here on the highway......

So that will be no problem

I think about kick that out before shipping it. I have a 5.0HO in the corner, so maybe I dropp that in with an automatik.

I will post engine and Transmission in the Adds......

BTW: I have 2 or 3 Trimmparts from my 64 Galaxie left ove, if yyou want....

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 06:07 AM

Hi!

There are not so much Goggomobiles here on the highway......

So that will be no problem

I think about kick that out before shipping it. I have a 5.0HO in the corner, so maybe I dropp that in with an automatik.

I will post engine and Transmission in the Adds......

BTW: I have 2 or 3 Trimmparts from my 64 Galaxie left ove, if yyou want....

I could have substituted Trabant (or Wartburg) for Goggomobile, but figured there's less of those remaining than Goggomobiles. Goggo's are rare here (CA) too. The last Goggo I saw was in the Speyer Transportation Museum. There is a fellow locally who has an original Messerschmidt he drives on occasion. No one has a klew as to what it is...well, almost no one. :)

Thanks for the offer on the Galaxie parts, but most 1964 trim pieces are different than 1963's.

VolkerGermany 07-03-2007 06:13 AM

Hi!

Donīt want to go to far from this, but a friend build a trabant with a 383 Stroker instead of the original 22hp 2 Stroke engine....

But thanks for identifie the engine, that helps

NumberDummy 07-03-2007 06:17 AM

That must not only be the fastest Trabant in the world, but also the most reliable Trabant in the world.

Good luck with your "new' truck.

bobbytnm 07-03-2007 08:11 AM

Welcome to the board!!

It sure sounds like there has been some changes made to your truck over the years.

Good luck with it
Bobby

mtflat 07-03-2007 09:02 AM

Bill has your vin sorted out. The truck has been cobbled together apparently. Basic body I'd say is F1 - at least the front fenders look like it.

If the box on the back is 6.5' it's half-ton. If it measures 8' you've got F2 or F3.
The hood is from a '51. "FORD" on the nose badge tells that. Front top grill panel isn't punched for the FORD letters either so I'd say the whole front clip is from a 51.

The 5 spd transmissions were used with the big trucks, F7 and F8 as indicated, BUT the F7 had an Overdrive 5 spd as standard with a straight drive 5 spd optional. The F8 had the straight 5 spd as standard equip with the 5 spd OD optional.

I've never heard if the big truck transmissions mate up with the 239 8BA flatheads or not, so I'm curious about this one.

Summary: Glovebox door is '52 F6
Main body - ?? Check the firewall for data plate.
Chassis - count the leaves in the spring packs.
Front clip - '51 F1
Hood - '51 with F8 badge strips
Tranny - F7 or F8
Engine - 239 flathead V8 used in F1-F6 trucks.

ALBUQ F-1 07-03-2007 09:09 AM

You've bought a truck that has had some switching of parts. The hood is a '51, as is the upper radiator panel (across the fenders, above the grille). It appears someone switched glove box doors, or just the VIN plate in the glove box door.

Not sure if you are near the truck now, but a picture of the tranny would help immensely. Any 5-sp would require cutting the trans crossmember drastically, and honestly I don't see someone going to all that trouble for a truck in this condition.

As for value, I wouldn't give more than $500 for it, unless it is much better than it looks in the pictures (no offense). The flathead is worth that if it isn't cracked or full of water.