Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Chipped 04 Vs Chevy,doge Nissan Etc. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/624947-chipped-04-vs-chevy-doge-nissan-etc.html)

eric777 06-21-2007 06:18 AM

Chipped 04 Vs Chevy,doge Nissan Etc.

How would an 04 triton with just say a chip or tuner compare tp the other similar trucks on the road. I won't be drag racing but I just would like to know if I could beat them to the grocery store HA HA.

tomclem 06-21-2007 06:43 AM

Don't know if a chip is going to do that much for performance. I have an 05' screw with 5.4 3v engine. I wouldn't volunteer to race a school bus. Ford seemed to forget that we actually might like to experience a get up and go feeling ever now and then. B/n the weight, gear ratio, and 4 speed tranny, these trucks are for hauling ass, too bad it's just the kind with four legs. LOL

eric777 06-21-2007 02:10 PM

I just recently drove a 2000 chevy 1500 and it had pretty good pep. But I have never driven one of these trucks, so I don't have a lot to base it on. I really don't see how a 300 hp truck could be really sluggish but like I said, I have not driven one yet.

RangerPilot 06-21-2007 02:15 PM

The Ford is much heavier, so that holds it back against the Chevy 5.3L/6.0L and the Hemi (though I'm sure the 5.4L could give the smaller Dodge, what is it, 4.7L?, a run for it's money). The Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan offerings are all designed with more high end horsepower in mind and while capable of towing a good amount, don't have the low end grunt of the 5.4L. Even chipped, all of them will easily leave you behind.

I've driven the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford, and can say that the GM/Dodge offerings definetly take the cake in terms of speed versus the Ford. That being said, I'd never hook up anything bigger than a horse trailer to my Silverado, either. Same for the Dodge. Nothing against the 5.3L, love it to death, or the Hemi despite my hate for it, I just want low end torque for a towing motor.

MBBFord 06-21-2007 02:54 PM

Like previously stated, the ford isn't the pepiest truck out there.
It's HEAVY!
The stupid electroic throttle control sucks(goes through this computer to go to that computer before it does anything).

I've race alot of stock trucks in my 77 F100 w/stock 302, and I will beat all of them on the jump with ease, but after that they all pass me up whether it was a 5.4, 5.3, 5.8, or 5.7

It take a while for all of the trucks to down shift and do something.

NASSTY 06-21-2007 03:24 PM

If you have a programmer/chip and they don't you should hold your own.
I have a 5.4 with a CAI and Edge Evo and I whooped a 06 Ram w/ Hemi that had a K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust.FWIW Both trucks are 4x4.

eric777 06-21-2007 03:27 PM

Well that makes me feel better. Like I said, I should not care so much about speed but I dont want to be the slowest out there.

wlgoble 06-21-2007 03:34 PM

Dont mess with the Silverado and Ram guys, your just wasting gas. My wifes Grand Caravan with a 3.8 v6 will smoke my F150. I think its the "drive-by-wire" that holds fords back the most.

eric777 06-21-2007 03:55 PM

Is there a 4.6 v8 & the 5.4? Do u think the 5.4 would be toasted by the van? Also, is there a way to fix this drive by wire i'm hearing about? I don't know what it is, but nobody seems to like them.

last5oh_302 06-21-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by wlgoble
My wifes Grand Caravan with a 3.8 v6 will smoke my F150. I think its the "drive-by-wire" that holds fords back the most.

Sure, but the 5.4 will walk the 4.6 :-wink

wlgoble 06-21-2007 06:18 PM

Dogs

If you buy an F150 try and get the 5.4, it is more powerful. Mine does just fine, but more is always better in a truck. I pull a 7500lb trailer with mine and it does just fine. It actully drives & rides better with a load. I think the Fords are tougher that the other guys, just not faster than the other guys(even the 5.4). All dogs get walked. hehehe

RangerPilot 06-21-2007 06:19 PM

The 5.4L uses "drive-by-wire", a knockoff of "fly-by-wire", or basically, electronic throttle control. Your go pedal isn't connected to the engine, it's connected to a sensor that sends a signal to the computer that says "ok...the driver wants XX% power", then sends another signal to a servo that moves the throttle itself on the engine. It can be quite delayed sometimes.

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I have a 5.4 with a CAI and Edge Evo and I whooped a 06 Ram w/ Hemi that had a K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust.

Not unless the Dodge driver was asleep. Flat out not going to happen.

Originally Posted by MBBFord
It take a while for all of the trucks to down shift and do something.

Indeed...that's why my first modification on both my automatic trucks has been a new valve body. I'll take firm shifts any day to get more performance.

NASSTY 06-21-2007 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RangerPilot
The 5.4L uses "drive-by-wire", a knockoff of "fly-by-wire", or basically, electronic throttle control. Your go pedal isn't connected to the engine, it's connected to a sensor that sends a signal to the computer that says "ok...the driver wants XX% power", then sends another signal to a servo that moves the throttle itself on the engine. It can be quite delayed sometimes.

Not unless the Dodge driver was asleep. Flat out not going to happen.

Already happened in the 1/8 mile.

RangerPilot 06-21-2007 08:49 PM

NASSTY, with all due respect, unless you're running the shortest, lightest version of the F-150 against the biggest, heaviest version of the Ram 1500, I find it hard to believe without video evidence (or a timeslip).

Simple power to weight ratios dictate that the Ram is the faster of the two trucks. The F-150 is just entirely too heavy to be competitive, especially in a stock or near stock form. Of course, off the line, the torque of the 5.4L will launch it (especially if you powerbrake and he doesn't) quite nicely, but once the Hemi is revved up into it's powerband, it will happily leave you behind.

The 1/8 mile is also a short track to be having any sort of race on. Horsepower would come more into play in the quarter mile, whereas off-the-line performance, controlled by torque and tire grip, plays a large roll in 1/8 mile performance.

thechief96 06-22-2007 06:24 AM

I find my truck pretty quick, of course I just got out of a 99 F-350 Cab/Chassis with a utility bed and a stock V-10. Lol