Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   How often should I change my fuel filter? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/622769-how-often-should-i-change-my-fuel-filter.html)

Hurricane 06-14-2007 03:03 PM

How often should I change my fuel filter?

I have an 02 F250 PSD 7.3L 4x4 crew cab. I bought it used in Dec. 2006. It didn't come with an owner's manual so I wanted to know how often you are supposed to change the fuel filter. Truck has 100,000 miles on it now.

Thanks, Chris

papadelogan 06-14-2007 03:07 PM

Most people do it about every 10,000 miles I believe - maybe every other oil change? How's this:

1. Every 10,000 miles or every other oil change
2. More frequently if you get dirty fuel
3. More often if you just started running biodiesel

mustang_gt_350 06-14-2007 03:52 PM

Saying this not knowing if you have changed it before.. If you do change it make sure what kind of filter you have in it already. As in the some filters come with the bowl lid and filter as 1 piece, so if whoever had the truck before you changed this out to one of them and you don't have the factory cover and you buy just the element its not going to do you any good. The truck i got just last month had a purolator filter in it. So i got the same filter again since i do not have the factory fuel bowl lid.

On the filter change issue. I have heard anywhere from every other oil change to whenever it feels sluggish and needs it. I'll probably go with every other oil change or 1 time a year since I usually won't put more than 10k miles a yr on my truck.

Hurricane 06-14-2007 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by papadelogan
Most people do it about every 10,000 miles I believe - maybe every other oil change? How's this:

1. Every 10,000 miles or every other oil change
2. More frequently if you get dirty fuel
3. More often if you just started running biodiesel

What's the deal with biodiesel? Can I just run this in my truck or do you have to have the truck set up for it? Is there any advantages/disadvantages to it?

Great thanks guys, I think I'll change it now since I've got to change my oil anyway and then do every other oil change.

papadelogan 06-14-2007 04:12 PM

Bio tends to clean out the gunk that builds up in fuel tanks, etc. and when that gunk gets to your filter it just clogs it up faster.

HKusp 06-14-2007 04:20 PM

Like Papa said, it has a detergent effect and will clear the fuel lines of gunk the first couple of times you use it, so keep a couple of fuel filters on hand. Especially with over 100K on the truck. My neighbor ran some this spring and his 350 had only about 28K and his truck wouldn't stay running after that first tank. His filter was all clogged.

Hurricane 06-14-2007 04:28 PM

So I guess it would be good to run a tank of it every once in a while?

F350-6 06-14-2007 07:20 PM

I change my fuel filter at 15,000 miles, but I tend to put a few more miles on the truck than most. As for biodiesel, it depends on what percentage you are running and how dirty your fuel system is. I started running B20 at 155,000 miles and never had an issue with clogged filters, or the filter getting dirty quicker than normal. I checked it once a week to be sure. Look inside your fuel filter bowl and if it looks clean you should be ok with a B20 blend. The closer you get to B100 the more detergent effect it has.