Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   Stock Cam Specs? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/621045-stock-cam-specs.html)

ReAX 06-09-2007 03:03 PM

Stock Cam Specs?

I am looking for info to compair these cam to the stocks Part Number:379601

<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="550"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitlesLeft" width="20%">Valve Setting:</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="14%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="14%">.000</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="11%">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries" width="15%">.000</td><td class="formEntries" width="26%">HOT</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitlesLeft" width="6%">Lift:</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="29%">Intake @Cam</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">300</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">@Valve</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">550</td><td rowspan="3" class="formtext" valign="top" width="28%">All Lifts are based
on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.</td></tr><tr><td rowspan="2" class="formSubtitles"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust @ Cam</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">300</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">@Valve</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">550</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Rocker Arm Ratio</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">1.80</td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter"> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitles" width="16%">Cam Timing:</td><td class="formEntries" width="11%">VALVE</td><td colspan="3" class="formEntries">@.006</td></tr><tr><td class="formTitles">Lift:</td><td class="formTitles"> </td><td class="formSubtitles">Opens</td><td class="formSubtitles">Closes</td><td class="formSubtitles">ADV Duration</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="16%"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="11%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="16%">14.0 BTDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="17%">54.0 ABDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="40%">248.0 °</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries">67.0 BBDC</td><td class="formEntries">7.0 ATDC</td><td class="formEntries">254.0 °</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td width="73%"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="7" class="formTitlesLeft">Spring Requirements: Triple Dual Outer Inner</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" width="21%">Part Number</td><td colspan="6" class="formEntries">37830</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles">Loads</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">Closed</td><td class="formEntries" width="7%">85</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="9%">LBS @</td><td class="formEntries" width="9%">1.640</td><td class="formSubtitlesCenter" width="6%">or</td><td class="formEntries" width="38%">1 41/64</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Open</td><td class="formEntries">195</td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">LBS @</td><td class="formEntries">1.110</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr></tbody></table></td><td width="27%"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="formtext">Recommended RPM range with matching components</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" width="78%">Minimum RPM</td><td class="formEntries" width="22%">1600</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles" height="24">Maximum RPM</td><td class="formEntries">5500</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitles">Valve Float</td><td class="formEntries">6100</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="formTitles" width="16%">Cam Timing:</td><td class="formEntries" width="10%">VALVE</td><td colspan="4" class="formEntries">@.050</td></tr><tr><td class="formTitles">Lift:</td><td class="formTitles"> </td><td class="formSubtitles">Opens</td><td class="formSubtitles">Closes</td><td class="formSubtitles">Max Lift</td><td class="formSubtitles">Duration</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="16%"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight" width="10%">Intake</td><td class="formEntries" width="15%">(4.0) ATDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="17%">36.0 ABDC</td><td class="formEntries" width="13%">110</td><td class="formEntries" width="29%">212.0 °</td></tr><tr><td class="formSubtitlesRight"> </td><td class="formSubtitlesRight">Exhaust</td><td class="formEntries">49.0 BBDC</td><td class="formEntries">(11.0) BTDC</td><td class="formEntries">120</td><td class="formEntries">218.0 °
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Johnny Langton 06-10-2007 10:06 PM

Awhile back I personally checked 10 sets of cams-both NPI and PI from both cars and trucks just to verify the OEM specs. Duration and centerlines are the same,lift is the only difference.

Non-PI:
Intake .462" lift/201 @.050"
Exhaust .462" lift/208 @.050"
114 intake C/L
113 exhaust C/L

PI:
Intake .507" lift/200 @.050"
Exhaust .534" lift/210 @.050"
114 intake C/L
115 exhaust C/L
The duration and centerlines are so close that I'll say the slight differences seen are production tolerances.

JL

Skoda 11-30-2008 10:32 AM

very interesting info guys, no wonder the pi version heads have more power gains to them. I'am not stating the cams are the only reason but they sure do help:-drink

I probalby know the answer to this qeustion but have to be certain, are these cam specs the same for the V10?

Johnny Langton 11-30-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skoda (Post 6827326)
very interesting info guys, no wonder the pi version heads have more power gains to them. I'am not stating the cams are the only reason but they sure do help:-drink

I probalby know the answer to this qeustion but have to be certain, are these cam specs the same for the V10?

If you have a little time to kill-here's a good read on that PI-NPI subject and how the PI makes more power:
PI vs NPI-data - Modular Depot Forums
It took me along time to put all of that data together and do the comparisons. it's a bit of a long read,but worth it.
Everything I've seen indicates that the 6.8L uses the exact same cam lobes as the 5.4L and the 4.6L. Ford mass produces the lobes and the camshaft tubes and press-fits them for assembly and final griding to spec. They're not gonna waste time setting up their machinery to grind different lobe profiles when they control engine power/torque with the intake manifold design.
JL

Skoda 11-30-2008 01:35 PM

Thanks for the link johnny

yes it is rather amazing how exhuast and intake sizing and flow along with tunned ramming have an effect on an engines power curve let alone feel to the driver, Though I know can get non pi heads to make more power}>:-fire then pi heads:)

when you posted the flow numbers do those cylinder heads still have the stock valve angles?

aswell were the pi heads ported along with the non pi heads? what I mean is are the flow numbers the results after both heads have been ported?

say you wouldn't happen to know what the 3v cam lift is would yea?

Johnny Langton 11-30-2008 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Skoda (Post 6827967)
Thanks for the link johnny

yes it is rather amazing how exhuast and intake sizing and flow along with tunned ramming have an effect on an engines power curve let alone feel to the driver, Though I know can get non pi heads to make more power}>:-fire then pi heads:)

when you posted the flow numbers do those cylinder heads still have the stock valve angles?

aswell were the pi heads ported along with the non pi heads? what I mean is are the flow numbers the results after both heads have been ported?

say you wouldn't happen to know what the 3v cam lift is would yea?

Yes,the flow numbers for both were ported,and my Non-PI head have the stock angles,etc. They've had new valves installed,good valvejob and port blending work,etc,etc,but they're not some special one-off racecar only piece.
Don't have any data on the 3V cams.
JL

Nathan28 12-10-2012 01:10 AM

1986/302 f150

4x4 ford f150

blackout150 12-10-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan28 (Post 12579692)
I got a jacked up 4x4 ford f150 with a stock 302 in it. i want to get more horsepower out of the motor so I've purchased a performance camshaft for it now i'm worried that it wont work with out changing the original valve springs. I don't want to have to bore if i don't have to. I put a Edelbrock four barrel 600 cfm carburetor on it to help it breathe better. The specs on the cam shaft i bought is: intake and exhaust duration is 244/244, intake and exhaust valve lift is 534/534, rpm range 2000 to 9000. I'm trying to get the horsepower out of the cam while still being able to use the original valve springs, Etc.! If any one knows what i may be talking about your response would be greatly appreciated!!!

First, your in the wrong forum for that info. Second, why in the heck would you pick a 2000-9000 rpm range cam for a jacked up 4x4? Your going to have no low end which is what you need. No way stock valve springs on a 302 are good for 9000 rpm's either.

Nathan28 12-11-2012 11:39 AM

Ha Ha Ha

Man.... i been trying to find the place where i typed on the computer for about 6 or 7 hours!!!! forum huh, whats that? whats a thread???? I know what reply means.... How do i do an introduction thread; or is it called a post??? How am i supposed to post a post if there is no post button.... All this is so confusing.
Im eager to start but don't know how!!!! Thanks for sending that reply to my email because i would never have found it!!!!

Nathan28 12-11-2012 11:56 AM

Blackout150

Hey man im going to find the right forum once i get this site figured out, my bad bro........ ima try not to muck up your page man. take care!!!