Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Hesitation on takeoff help?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/619402-hesitation-on-takeoff-help.html)

chi6488 06-04-2007 02:34 PM

Hesitation on takeoff help??

My truck has about 35 miles on it. I picked up the truck Friday and have driven it once since I brought it home. I noticed this morning that is hesitates on takeoff. Thought maybe it was cold, got to the office and turned off for a few minutes. Drove to bank and was still hesitating when I take off. Mondays are bad days at the dealer so maybe tomorrow or wednesday I will take it in. Not happy for a brand new vehicle.

08 6.4 250 cc 4wd king ranch

blackhat620 06-04-2007 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by chi6488
My truck has about 35 miles on it. I picked up the truck Friday and have driven it once since I brought it home. I noticed this morning that is hesitates on takeoff. Thought maybe it was cold, got to the office and turned off for a few minutes. Drove to bank and was still hesitating when I take off. Mondays are bad days at the dealer so maybe tomorrow or wednesday I will take it in. Not happy for a brand new vehicle.

Sounds like normal turbo lag, and an engine that is not broken in yet or beyond its de-powered initial break-in phase. Also the PCM has not learned your driving style yet. You are always going to have some turbo lag however.

Hope this helps

ag-ford-4x4 06-04-2007 03:26 PM

Man...where did this 'de-powered break in phase' thing start? From my understanding, this does not exist.

blackhat620 06-04-2007 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
Man...where did this 'de-powered break in phase' thing start? From my understanding, this does not exist.

With the introduction of 2008 trucks and the 6.4L. There have been other threads on it, this has been verified by vloney & BowTieHtr. It seems FMC wants the engines to break in properly before people start towing 10K pounds at full throttle up a 7% grade.

GMtoFord 06-04-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by chi6488

Drive it and dont worry about it,it'll break in and get better. Give it some time.

SouthTexasDiesel 06-04-2007 05:24 PM

Like everybody's been saying, just give it some time. I wouldn't worry about it giving you a little bit of lag when it's got only 35 miles on it. I let my F-350 get about 2000 miles on it untill I started planting the foot down, and it felt like it had more power and response that any of the truck I drove that were on the lot. It should get better, just let her break in.

mikey2000 06-04-2007 06:36 PM

There is no "break in tune" and there is no turbo lag because the 6.4s are twin turbo. The small turbo gets out of the hole and then the big turbo takes over. Go get it checked out by the dealer. My 450 is a hot rod. There is a lag between 1st and 2nd when you punch it.

SuperDutyJ4500 06-04-2007 06:40 PM

Drive it more, and see what happens. You cant expect the truck to be a rocket with only 35 miles on it..everything is not seated correctly at this point. Give it more time, it will get better.

vloney 06-04-2007 06:46 PM

Small little thing you can check before you go in.....Have someone inside the truck, while you look under the hood at the vgt actuator (a rod about 3 inches long, roughly to the left of center by 6-8 inches) When they simply turn the key on, the actuator should cycle full on, and full off. This is to prevent vane sticking (the problem with the 6.0). If it doesn't, that would be a problem with boost (it should set a dtc if it is bound up). I do however think it is in the "de-powered" phase of the breakin. Our car hauler at our dealership, when it got over this period, became a powerhouse monster. Pulling 32,000 pounds regularly, 9 mpg doing it. Set the cruise with this weight in St. Louis, Mo. Drive to our dealership (139 miles), several hills, NEVER KICK OFF THE CRUISE! 08 F350 6.4 automatic.

SuperDutyJ4500 06-04-2007 06:51 PM

That sounds awesome vloney...never kicking off the cruise up those hills, thats what I like to hear.

mikey2000 06-04-2007 06:54 PM

Vloney, when is the motor broken in and the supposed de-tune go away?

chi6488 06-04-2007 08:40 PM

To be honest with you guys I don't dog my vehicles. Not that I baby them but I deal with insurance so I experience all types of claims. I drive normal and not like I stole my truck. The hesitation I feel is just from normal take off.

rollerstud98 06-04-2007 10:37 PM

bet you its just the electronic throttle, since its not a cable, my dads f150 has a slight hesitation, took it in, the techs said that they all have the same thing, could be he was blowing smoke up his ass but i do believe it

vloney 06-05-2007 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mikey2000
Vloney, when is the motor broken in and the supposed de-tune go away?

give it a couple-three hundred miles. Originally, we were told 2 obd2 drive cycles, but I have been seeing it take a little longer, depending on driving styles,fuel quality, frequency of loading, and weather.

vloney 06-05-2007 08:33 AM

Be mindful, however, that when you are going through regen, power is reduced. When you experienced this hesitation, it wasn't regenerating, was it?