Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Turbo Boost (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/617283-turbo-boost.html)

weberr7 05-28-2007 10:51 PM

Turbo Boost

I installed my gauges this weekend and noticed something when installing the Turbo boost gauge. Is it common when removing the elbow to drill and tap to have a black residue covering the inside bottom of that elbow? It smelt like fuel/oil. Was not sure but cleaned it out and will check it again later.
I also was driving back from AZ to CA this weekend and my engine and Turbo Boost gauge sputtered? The engine felt like when there is air in the water lines of a travel trailer when you turn on the faucet. As soon as I felt it I looked at the Turbo boost gauge and it was sputtering between 10-20 on the gauge. It happened in slowing traffic on I-10 going about 65 MPH. It happened for maybe 5 seconds, about 300miles after I installed the gauges.
<O:p
Any ideas or correlations between the two would be great. Thank you!<O:p</O:p

Storm 05-28-2007 10:54 PM

It's normal.. Its the CCV.. It lets a mist of oil into the intake system that overtime will grow into a lot of oil.. Most of us do the CCV Re-route job to get rid of this issue.. Instead we inject the oil mist into the exhaust system to blow it out the pipe.. Alot cleaner this way :)

blackhat620 05-29-2007 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by weberr7
I installed my gauges this weekend and noticed something when installing the Turbo boost gauge. Is it common when removing the elbow to drill and tap to have a black residue covering the inside bottom of that elbow? It smelt like fuel/oil. Was not sure but cleaned it out and will check it again later.
I also was driving back from AZ to CA this weekend and my engine and Turbo Boost gauge sputtered? The engine felt like when there is air in the water lines of a travel trailer when you turn on the faucet. As soon as I felt it I looked at the Turbo boost gauge and it was sputtering between 10-20 on the gauge. It happened in slowing traffic on I-10 going about 65 MPH. It happened for maybe 5 seconds, about 300miles after I installed the gauges.
<O:p
Any ideas or correlations between the two would be great. Thank you!<O:p</O:p

It is one of two things, either the EBP sensor is starting to fail or the turbo vanes are sticking. If it does it again take it to the dealer and let the diagnose and fix the problem. It is not normal and usually will get worse.

buckshot047 05-29-2007 10:21 AM

I have had the same issue on occasion...it alaways when the truck has just been started....5-10 minutes and I trmp on it...but when Its up to temp there are no issues like that...was thinking it was just a cold motor issue? Any ideas?

blackhat620 05-29-2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by buckshot047
I have had the same issue on occasion...it alaways when the truck has just been started....5-10 minutes and I trmp on it...but when Its up to temp there are no issues like that...was thinking it was just a cold motor issue? Any ideas?

If your truck is doing this when it is cold, it is more than likely "stiction" issues with the fuel injectors. The latest couple of flashes for the PCM address this issue with the "Inductive Heat" strategy for the injectors to help prevent stiction issues.

Here is the latest TSB on the problem.

Hope this helps