Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   96 trouble code (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/616025-96-trouble-code.html)

Butch(OH) 05-24-2007 08:19 PM

96 trouble code

I have a 96 3.0 ranger and have a trouble code P1443 that says Manufactur control auxzilary emission controls. I can shut the check engine light off with a scan tool or reset the computer and the comes back on with in 10 miles and I don't have a clue why. any help would be appricated

blackie96 05-24-2007 09:19 PM

Hi. I had the same thing happening to my '96. Mine is a 2.3 but I think the codes run pretty much the same. 1443 has to do with the EVAP canister purge valve and the hoses that run between it and the intake manifold. If you go to the technical thread at the beginning of the forum and look up your code, then look up the EVAP system, you'll see diagrams showing you where it is. With mine, I started with the hoses, and then finally had to replace the purge valve itself, but once I replaced the purge valve, the code cleared, and she passed inspection with flying colors.

MazdaRangerGuy 05-24-2007 10:04 PM

P1443 = "Evaporative emission control system - vacuum system, purge control solenoid or vapor management valve manfunction"

Basically it's the same as a large fuel vapor leak. The system isn't able to achieve enough vacuum to run the EVAP leak test.

#1 cause - gas cap. If it's missing, or has a bad seal it can set this code. Remove the cap and closely inspect the rubber seal for cracks or missing pieces. Also check the filler neck, making sure it's not cracked or broken. You might want to go ahead and invest in a new cap.. they are cheap enough and this way you'll either fix the problem, or eliminate it as a possible cause. NOTE: do not buy a locking cap.. these tend to not seal up properly.

If you're still having problems, you'll need to follow all the vacuum lines/hoses for the EVAP system.. and trace them all the way to the tank, making sure they aren't broken or loose.

Another common problem is the canister vent valve.. it tends to get stuck and as a result doesn't seal up the system to prep it for the EVAP test. Also if it's stuck only slightly open (instead of full open) it can cause the pump at the gas station to kick off quite often, like if the tank was full.. but it isn't. If this has been happening I'd strongly consider replacing the valve.

There are other possibilities... fuel pump seal... purge valve... even the computer could be bad (but I highly doubt it...)

Good luck.

Butch(OH) 06-06-2007 08:35 PM

well I put on the purge valve/ purge valve solenod on, should the check engine light go off after driveing a few miles or do you have to delete the code by reseting the computer or by using a scan tool. thank for any help