Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   British Columbia (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum165/)
-   -   How does this sound for a deal on my truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/614738-how-does-this-sound-for-a-deal-on-my-truck.html)

pud 05-21-2007 01:44 AM

How does this sound for a deal on my truck?

Guy got up here today from Vancouver, hes pretty set on gettin my truck. Im going to be able to work out a better deal taking a part trade than him buying it outright. He has a 94 explorer he wants to trade along with $6k. heres the info:
4.0L auto, electric shift 4x4 (gay), manual hubs, 225k km, 6" suspension/3" body lift, 35" BFG M/Ts, winch and bumper. He says it runs good, shifts well and is all good to go. He got a good deal but and hasnt been able to drive it because he lost his license for a short while still. He also said he could throw in an extra transfer case and some other parts.
Now Im thinking for that and $6k cash if he can deliver it here thats a pretty good deal.
The pics:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...r/P5180077.jpg

album http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...tang/Exploder/

Theres more in that album. I dont know if he wants to keep the stereo or not.
What do you guys figure? Also if theres anyone that knows the truck lemme know.

taisa899 05-21-2007 01:50 AM

something just doesn't look right about it. can't put my finger on it though. Just something doesn't look right

Jim

pud 05-21-2007 01:53 AM

yeah I got that feeling too. If I decide to take the deal, Im going to tell him Ill take the deal as long as everything is as he says it is, and he can deliver it. That way anything he forgot to mention might come out before he takes another trip up here. Also if it makes it all the way here it cant be all that bad lol.

Flatdeck 05-21-2007 05:53 AM

Here are my observations and thoughts... I'm not an Explorer expert by any means... that's a $2000 truck... why is the winch cable wrapped around the bumper? The front bumper lower looks home-brew (and overly tall, probably something to do with the body lift); check the construction of the two recovery points before using them. The front bumper upper portion looks like it's the vertical plates from a Warn "combo kit" but is missing the horizontal bars. Front and rear tires are rubbing on the mud flaps. Front steering stabilizer is not horizontal... something is screwed up there unless that's how things are with a TTB front axle (never looked at one). Definitely check that steering setup very closely and make sure there are no home-fabbed welded parts present. What lift kit was used? There is non-factory wiring hanging down below the dash, which might indicate future electrical gremlins you'd have to troubleshoot. The light bar and windshield visor in the photo do not add any value to the truck.

U-Haul will not rent a trailer to anyone with an Explorer... that tells me they have weak drivetrains. Not something I'd be 4-wheeling or towing with. Did he change the gears? If not, those 35" tires will be putting more stress on an already-weak drivetrain, and your crawl ratio will suck.

It's not nearly as nice as the truck you have now... if you have to get rid of your current truck, I recommend you hold out for cash instead of taking a trade, at least on this particular vehicle.

If it were me, I'd try to work the finances to keep your current truck, unless there are issues with it that you'd rather not deal with. Personally, I've worked hard to get the truck I have now, and would do everything I could to avoid trading down to a lesser vehicle.

Tough decisions.

pud 05-21-2007 09:04 AM

tough decisions is right....the trucks in White rock, are you nearby there? It would be cool if someone around there could swing by and check it out for me, maybe I can get the guy to toss some cash your way. All I care about on it is if the engine runs good, preferably the tranny be good as well as the rest of the driveline...but those are things I can fix easy. I dont like that auto t-case crap so it can be totally fubarred for all I care.

preppypyro 05-21-2007 11:02 AM

I would keep your old truck too if you could.

Now aside from that, im assuming your not going to be keeping that explorer, but turning around and selling it.
Explorers arent known for being tough, and are known for having problems, like transmissions. Add a lift kit, and it sure makes it look tough, but underneath it all, its still a weak explorer.

With it being lifted up like that, you may find someone to give you some decent cash for it though, and you may be able to make more money then just selling your old truck.

pud 05-21-2007 11:14 AM

thats what Im thinking....lol
I have been tossing around the idea of keeping it for the family wagon..of course shrinking it a bit first. The body looks to be in real good shape from what I can see. Im sure I could sell it with out the winch/bumper and tires/rims after taking out the body lift and putting smaller tires on it...for $4k-$5K. If it runs good and stuff works like it should Id probably keep it, for a while at least. But that body lift would definately be coming off and those bumpers and tires would fit a little ranger toy much better.

preppypyro 05-21-2007 11:45 AM

Keep in mind too, once a guy starts pulling all the cool stuff off of it, your left with an explorer with over 200,000 kms on it, might be hard to get a good price for that!

pud 05-21-2007 12:18 PM

That whole rig looks like a monkey f-ck as it sits. I think stock bumpers would look better on each end than those do. Tune the lift down into the 4-6" area (from the 9" it has now) and Ive got some 31s I could put on it.
I'll see how this deal is going to work out, its going in my favor so far. Ill see if he goes for the exploder and $7500 sight unseen on it.

preppypyro 05-21-2007 06:18 PM

I see what you mean about pulling stuff off of it now. If he goes for 7500 you will have a pretty damn good deal then.

pud 05-21-2007 06:45 PM

I told him $7000 and the 'sploder sight unseen as long as it pulls into my driveway under its own power and its not showing any serious signs of a fubarred drivetrain. hes going to call me back tomorow and see what kind of finances he can get together. He said hes got 2 parts sploders he can pull parts rigs he can pull stuff from that I want. Told him stock bumpers for sure and seats if theres any good ones. Hmmm maybe I can get 2 sploders and $7k. Gotta keep in mind here my truck needs $2k worth of work to be tip top (flywheel windshield and batteries). So even if I get the sploder and $6k Ill be in decent shape. Guess Ill hear from him tomorow on how its going to go down.

Flatdeck 05-22-2007 04:05 AM

I'm about 30-45 mins from White Rock on a weekend... I could check it out for you. During the week is tough for me because I'm pretty tired after work which includes 2 hrs of commuting (an hour each way), and I'd want to see it in daylight.
I'd bring a mechanic friend with me for a proper examination.

Flatdeck 05-22-2007 04:09 AM

And I could take some close-up photos for you with the digital camera.

pud 05-22-2007 09:44 AM

cool, thanks....but if I take the deal hes going to be leaving friday night or saturday morning so thats work out too well. I appreciate it tho.

preppypyro 05-23-2007 09:47 AM

Well it does sound like the deal is getting better and better for ya!