Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   Clunking right front end on tight turns (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/613371-clunking-right-front-end-on-tight-turns.html)

Navyguns 05-16-2007 07:29 PM

Clunking right front end on tight turns

When making a tight turn, right side seems to bind and release with a not so pleasant clunk and jerk. Worse turning left. No issues in mild turns or going straight. Oh, 96 AWD.

ubereal2 05-17-2007 07:51 AM

Sounds like that could be you're axles/CV joints.

Bear River 05-17-2007 09:07 AM

The most common problms with clunking are relatedto the AWD system. There is a little module under the drivers seat. It you disconnect it from its wire harness, the AWD system is mostly disabled. There will still be power to the front wheels, but the transfer case will be unlocked. Now try some sharp turns under the same conditions and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, suspect a problem with the AWD speed sensors. Suspension problems can also sometimes contribute, which could cause the problem to be worse one way than the other.

Navyguns 05-17-2007 10:43 AM

Problem solved

Thanks for the help. It was indeed the sensors on the transfer case. I followed the steps you outlined...disconnected the box under the driver's seat...the clunking went away. Reconnected box, problem returns. Replaced both sensors on the transfer case, problem gone.

The manual I have says that the AWD box under the driver's seat is under the carpet. Mine was clipped to the underside of the seat. Are there two boxes or am I just lucky I didn't have to pull the seat? My previous '95 AWD also was clipped to the underside of the seat.

Bear River 05-17-2007 11:16 AM

Mine is clipped to the underside of the seat as well. There is really no place to put it under the carpet.

copper_90680 05-17-2007 01:39 PM

Navyguns:

I hope you didn't throw away the sensors before checking them out. There are 3 pins on each sensor. Measure the resistances between pins 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3. I think the resistances should come out to be about 1000 ohms, 2000 ohms and 3000 ohms, but I don't remember which pair of pins should measure which. Anyway, if one or more of the resistances read "open" then you can throw away that sensor. Ortherwise, it should be good still.

Navyguns 11-09-2008 08:02 PM

Just a follow up....

The sensors went bad again. Had the transfer case checked out, and it was bad. It would strike the sensors. I replaced the transfer case and have had no issues since. This van had 15" jeep rims on it. My ASE Ford mechanic nephew seems to believe that those may have contributed to the transfer case going bad.

99f350sd 11-09-2008 10:34 PM

Not unless you had different size tires on front and back..Both should be identical on the 4wd aero*