Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/611559-no-start.html)

clajoie 05-10-2007 09:08 PM

no start

I've got a 99 f-450 psd auto. the truck just died while i was driving it and wouldn't restart. i towed it home and plugged in the ford star scan tool and it wouldn't let me into the pcm. i checked all the fuses and relays and everything seems to be ok. i have no what to start light and my fuel pump isn't working. i just put a new pcm in it and it did nothing; i also disconnected the fuel heater and it didn't make a difference. does anyone have any ideas im at a loss!

guzzle92 05-10-2007 09:13 PM

Your fuel bowl heater has shorted out. Unplug it form the back of the bowl, replace the 30A fuse under the hood (#19?) and it should restart. You can run without a fuel bowl heater until you can get it replaced.

Edit: looks like you have already replaced the heater.... Did you check the PCM fuse with a continuity meter?

clajoie 05-10-2007 10:00 PM

i have checked the pcm fuse and relay and they checked out fine

kennedyford 05-10-2007 10:48 PM

30 amp fuse in under dash burned out. Bottom right. Wait to start light wont come on, pcm wont work, cam sensor wont work, fuel bowl wont heat, and of course the fuel pump will not come on. I have had fuses not work although they appeared to be good. Heat created cracks in fuse. My last on was the tranny and speed sensors going crazy with a cracked fuse.

clintbonnie 05-10-2007 10:55 PM

You can check all your fuses quickly without removing them by using an ohm meter and check the exposed terminals at the top of the fuse... fast and easy.. Sounds like an fuse is bad like kennedyford says. ..

clajoie 05-11-2007 06:47 AM

i replaced the 30amp fuse under the dash and the 20amp fuse (#19) under the hood and checked all my other fuses w/ an ohms meter and i still have nothing

Uzumati 05-11-2007 07:12 AM

What is the system voltage? can you see the PCM now with the new one in and it still wont crank?

kennedyford 05-11-2007 07:31 AM

You need to disconnect the fuel bowl first, then try again. Ive blown that one under the dash 2 x before I got smart about it and soldiered a relay to my fuse and fired it up.

clajoie 05-11-2007 04:50 PM

i disconnected the fuel heater and replaced the 30amp fuse under the dash and the 20amp fuse under the hood and all the truck does is crank over. i have no wait to start light and my fuel pump still doesn't come on.

Uzumati 05-11-2007 07:05 PM

PCM power diode?, PCM relay?, Fuel pump relay?

Without a Wait to start light either the PCM is not getting powered or it is dead, but since your donor did the same thing I would look to the diode or PCM relay. If it were the fuel pump relay you would still get a WTS light.

kennedyford 05-11-2007 07:12 PM

A simple test light on the under dash fuse will tell you if you have power with key on. So do this,
Unplug fuel bowl
turn key on
test ligh all fuses...no ohm holding 2 prods, just clip to ground and test both sides of the fuses under dash. Starting with the 30 bottom right of fuse panel under dash.

MikeSDK 05-11-2007 07:52 PM

CPS dude, just happened to me today.

clajoie 05-11-2007 09:10 PM

i've already changed the cps and it did nothing; i also checked the pcm relay and it is working and it is getting full power. i will check that pcm diode and i'll check the fuse panel under the dash w/ my fluke meter and let you know.thanks

clajoie 05-12-2007 11:09 PM

i found a bad 30amp fuse under the hood for the power distribution box. i replaced it and im back up and running now. thanks again.

kennedyford 05-12-2007 11:51 PM

See guys if you pay attention to the symptoms ( no wait to start light and fuel pump not running) you can troubleshoot. Troubleshooting use to be a competition, now the dealers have computers thinking for themselves and some guys always giving in to cps problems.