Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Disabling the Key-in Chime (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/610962-disabling-the-key-in-chime.html)

yobuda 05-09-2007 01:32 AM

Disabling the Key-in Chime

Picked up my new Carbon expy - everything is great so far.
My 1st urge is to get rid of the key-in chime - does anyone have the steps to do this?

Monsta 05-09-2007 04:28 AM

It's probably the same as any other Ford.

Pull the tumbler out. There is probably the pin you push in with an awl directly underneath the tumbler. You'll probably have to remove the trim around the steering wheel column. Typically the key has to be in the RUN position (truck not on) for it to pull out.

Remove the key from the tumbler and then reinsert it. The tab that pops up will be the one that you want to cover with tape or any other non-conducting material.

MisterCMK 05-09-2007 09:27 AM

You can also take the easy hack way out and just cut the key sense wire

yobuda 05-11-2007 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You can also take the easy hack way out and just cut the key sense wire

Got a wire color and location?

'07 Expedition - Carbon
2nd row captains, power everything

'02 350 PSD CC SB
4" Turbo back exhaust / Acetoned badges / AIH Delete / AIS Intake w/sleeve / Aux backup lights / Blue CPS / Clear cab lights / CCV into exhaust / DS Boost Relief Valve / DS IC Boots / Exhaust brake - SP Diesel w/TC Lockup / Gauges - Boost, Tranny, EGT / Hutch & Harpoon / Headlight harness upgrade / HX crossover / IC wrap removed / IDM / Onboard Air - VIAR 450C & 2.5gl tank / Sonnax-Tricum / SteveRacer / Turbo Master Wastegate / Zoodad
<O:p</O:p

yobuda 05-19-2007 03:50 PM

Nobody knows?

Also, if I did cut the key sense wire, do you think it would disable the easy-out setting wehre the seat moves back when exiting the vehicle?

'07 Expedition - Carbon

'02 350 PSD CC SB
4" Turbo back exhaust
/ Acetoned badges / AIH Delete / AIS Intake w/sleeve / Aux backup lights / Blue CPS / Clear cab lights / CCV into exhaust / DS Boost Relief Valve / DS IC Boots / Exhaust brake - SP Diesel w/TC Lockup / Gauges - Boost, Tranny, EGT / Hutch & Harpoon / Headlight harness upgrade / HX crossover / IC wrap removed / IDM / Onboard Air - VIAR 450C & 2.5gl tank / Sonnax-Tricum / SteveRacer / Turbo Master Wastegate / Zoodad

MisterCMK 05-19-2007 04:19 PM

I am not sure what wire it is or what else it would affect on that vehicle. I know that with older vehicles it was pretty obvious which wire it was when you get under there and that all it did was control the key in chime.

You might try talking to a dealer to see if they can get you a wiring diagram.

reneckford64 05-19-2007 04:27 PM

try pulling the fuse out it hase its own one

MisterCMK 05-19-2007 04:52 PM

Key sense wouldn't have its own fuse

Monsta 05-20-2007 02:33 AM

Good lord...don't go cuttin' wires on your brand new truck! :D Especially if you aren't sure what will happen if you do. Covering the contact is simple and effective. :)

As far as the seat thing...sorry cannot help.

jackson3000 05-20-2007 09:21 PM

You can stop the seat from moving in " set up mode" in the system monitor .The keychime is a pain to listen to. I wouldn't cut wires either.

wiingnut 05-28-2007 10:53 AM

don't cut, it's easier to tape. Plus tape is much easier to remove than trying to resplice if needed

yobuda 05-28-2007 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wiingnut
don't cut, it's easier to tape. Plus tape is much easier to remove than trying to resplice if needed

I'm still looking for what wire to deal with.

No - I do not want to diable the easy-out function. I was just wondering if disabling the key sense would affect it.

'07 Expedition - Carbon

'02 350 PSD CC SB
4" Turbo back exhaust
/ Acetoned badges / AIH Delete / AIS Intake w/sleeve / Aux backup lights / Blue CPS / Clear cab lights / CCV into exhaust / DS Boost Relief Valve / DS IC Boots / Exhaust brake - SP Diesel w/TC Lockup / Gauges - Boost, Tranny, EGT / Hutch & Harpoon / Headlight harness upgrade / HX crossover / IC wrap removed / IDM / Onboard Air - VIAR 450C & 2.5gl tank / Sonnax-Tricum / SteveRacer / Turbo Master Wastegate /