Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Detroit Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/608058-detroit-diesel.html)

zigzkidz 04-30-2007 03:40 PM

Detroit Diesel

Ok i would like to put a Detroit in my 1985, i scatched the Cummins idea, i want to put in a 6V53,6V53T,or 6V53TT. What trans would be good. How do u guys think it would work out? I would like to keep my 4x4, i have heard about getting a military transfer case to make it easier to match up with the trans, but it depends what transmission i use though. I have see two older fords with 6v53 one had a twin turbo set up on it.

archangel 05-01-2007 07:52 AM

A divorced transfercase would make it easier, but why an old 2 stroke Driptroit?
Is it the way they scream under full throttle?
It sure would help to intimidate on the road!

IHWillys 05-01-2007 01:27 PM

Come on over to 'DetroitDiesel' group at yahoo groups. We have members with swaps of 53 series and small 71 series into pickups, and many knowledgeable 'old timers' and current users of the great Screaming Jimmy.

Ken

zigzkidz 05-01-2007 02:29 PM

The way they scream is the best sound u good ever hear. And because my dad wen to a school about Detroit Diesel and its his 2nd favorite engine of all time

dmanlyr 05-01-2007 09:33 PM

I rarely post anymore, but this caught my eye - It seems that Detroit 6-71's brought diesels to the trucking world. Lots of history here.

As far as a trans, six speed Allison, or a ten speed Road Ranger would be my only choices. You are dealing with a more RPM limited engine than some of the lighter duty / modern diesels. YOU NEED LOTS OF GEARS! Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Either trans is gong to make keeping the truck 4 wheel drive hard, without a matching truck transfer case.

Several fiends of mine ran 4-71's in mid 70's Ford F250's, with various results. If you want something that drives, shifts and sounds like a big rig, then the conversion is for you. However, if you want something that will keep up with car traffic, at least as far as acceleration is concerned (especially with the Road Ranger, as it just takes time to shift) then this conversion is not for you.

Nothing like the sound of a two stoke jimmy (or EMD for that matter) Only thing that I have found that sounds better is the Fairbanks Morse "opie" engines, also a two sroke :) Somewhat of a 2 stroke fan here :)

And yes, I still ride two stroke motorcycles, one for the trails and one for the street.

David

archangel 05-01-2007 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by dmanlyr
As far as a trans, six speed Allison, or a ten speed Road Ranger would be my only choices. You are dealing with a more RPM limited engine than some of the lighter duty / modern diesels. YOU NEED LOTS OF GEARS! Don't let anyone tell you any different.

David

An Allison automatic or Road Ranger would be SERIOUS OVERKILL for an F series pickup truck, not to mention way too big and heavy for the vehicle and frame, and as far as needing all 10 gears?

The truck I drive for work right now weighs 17,500lbs---

THAT'S SEVENTEEN THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED LBS,

without a trailer and I can haul ass taking off starting in 6th, shifting into 8th, then 10th, so a reasonable ratio 5 speed, for his light weight F series truck, should be more than enough with all that torque!

Michael

ubahd00d 05-02-2007 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by archangel2003
An Allison automatic or Road Ranger would be SERIOUS OVERKILL for an F series pickup truck, not to mention way too big and heavy for the vehicle and frame, and as far as needing all 10 gears?

without a trailer and I can haul ass taking off starting in 6th, shifting into 8th, then 10th, so a reasonable ratio 5 speed, for his light weight F series truck, should be more than enough with all that torque!

Michael

I think he says you need all those gears because of it being a 2 stroke diesel.

IHWillys 05-02-2007 08:57 AM

A 10 speed is not required with a 53 series. Perhaps with a 71 series but not a 53, they have a wider rpm range. GMC/Chevrolet offered the 4-53T in the C60 trucks with a 5 speed direct drive transmission.

Anyway, zigzkidz, I see you found your way over to our group.

Ken

zigzkidz 05-02-2007 02:30 PM

yes i did find my way over, do u think if i get a old C60 and just use the engine and stuff out of there, it would probaly be easier.

zigzkidz 05-02-2007 03:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fS43WnFGWs this is nice even thought its a chevy

IHWillys 05-02-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by zigzkidz
yes i did find my way over, do u think if i get a old C60 and just use the engine and stuff out of there, it would probaly be easier.

A complete donor vehicle generally makes things easier when doing what you're contemplating.

Ken

dmanlyr 05-02-2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by archangel2003

Michael

Sorry, I am a CDL driver, and have been involved with several DD conversions, and while the 53 series has more RPM to work with, even a five speed behind a higher RPM International 6.9/7.3 is missing at least ONE gear, more like two.

But then each to his or her own, me I like having the right gear for the right speed. I do not like to have to rev the engine past it's torque range in order to get past the gaps in the gears.

One thing I wil agree with you on, the Road Ranger (but not the ALLISON) is probably overkill, but how many seven speed trans have you seen used? They are becoming more common place, but even a six speed behind that Jimmy is going to be AT LEAST ONE gear to short. I only use three or four gears myself on our 27,200 (YES - TWENTY SEVEN THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED LBS) vac truck with the 400hp Cummins, but that is UNLOADED. Move on up to 56k, or more with a trailer and I use all but the lowest two gears UNLESS on a steep hill.

Geeze now I see why I don't post much - Most on here won't listen to any professional advice anyways.

David

dmanlyr 05-02-2007 07:32 PM

One additional thing, my daily work driver is a UD 2600, tare weight of 19,800 give or take a bit, max of course 26k, (was at 36K, and I pulled a 15K trailer behind me) so I don't have to log any more, at least in this truck. It has a six speed. I have put over 164k on this truck, around town and some freeway, and it still has 75% front, 85% rear brake lining left, along with 80% of the clutch life left.

Thats a close to a million mile of life potential on these "wear" items. THAT IS PROFESSIONAL DRIVING.

And guess what, it is MISSING a gear. Agravating to say the least when I can't get past that gap right between fourth and fifth, and knowing that if I had a seventh gear, not only would the gap be reduced, but hiway RPM would be much more suitable.

But what would I know - oh well -

David

ncfirefighter46 05-02-2007 09:21 PM

well detroit has a mbe 900 7.2 l engine i6 and a new 6 speed to bolt up to it and it is also the new ulsd and it comes up to 350 HP 860 torque. i think this is what i would do with my truck this engine is for med duty trucks. so i dont think it would be to hard to convert

IHWillys 05-03-2007 01:06 PM

David, what 2 cycle do you ride on the street? Mine is a 1979 RD400F Daytona Special(with a 6-speed, hehe).
http://www.hemkosys.com/kenstuff/images/RDright1.jpg

One point I'd like to make is that your driving experience and conditions 'needs' more gears for you to do your job to the best of your ability. For a swap in a pickup that's likely to be used more as toy, well the terms 'need' and 'want' have a different scope. A 3/4 ton 'fun' truck that weighs 6,000 lb does not need a 7-speed transmission and with the dramatic additional weight involved, could be a detriment in such a light truck.

Ken